Print Thread
Boykin info #6214877 03/08/16 11:06 PM
S
stylesp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Mother is looking into getting a Boykin spaniel. Any information on the breed and any recommended breeders in north Texas area would be appreciated.

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6216686 03/09/16 11:21 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I've trained several. If she's looking for a pet they are a very busy dog. If she walks daily or jogs they will love the exercise and need it. If she's looking to train it for hunting, they don't take pressure well. Make sure she checks on the clearances. It's a relatively new breed so there's no mapping any of the pedigree's as to what you should look for or stay away from.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6216837 03/10/16 12:57 AM
S
stylesp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Will they hunt? What do you mean by pressure?

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217278 03/10/16 12:35 PM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Angie is right. They are a great dog. Lot's of energy. Look at the Boykin spaniel society web page. Lot's of information there. Also we are have a fun day in MAy for the Boykin spaniel club of Texas. Look up them on facebook.

Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217318 03/10/16 12:58 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: stylesp
Will they hunt? What do you mean by pressure?

Yes they will hunt but when it comes to structured pressure training like FF and collar conditioning you have to be very diplomatic. Much like training a chessie on steroids. They are a very cute puppy. Be sure to not over spoil it or you'll really have a training mess on your hands.

There's a long waiting list with any of the breeders. I see Terry Tomlinson out of OK has a litter on the ground. The hard part is there is no telling if you're going to get a good one for hunting or not. It's a new breed. They haven't been bred long enough to know which pedigree's are going to produce a consistent dog. I trained a boykin out of 2 master hunters that was mediocre at best.

They are not a lab!!

Angie

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217596 03/10/16 03:47 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There's only been one litter where the sire and dam were both Master Hunter Retrievers, and that litter is only 4-5 months old I believe. Wherever you get a pup from, be sure to ask the breeder for these health clearances from the Boykin Spaniel Society website. http://boykinspaniel.org/checklist.php

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217623 03/10/16 04:01 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Angie will you be at Brazosport this weekend? I'll be there running my Boykin in Master B. Hope to see you there.

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217764 03/10/16 05:37 PM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If you like the looks of Boykins take a look at this breed Deutscher Wachtelhund I have one and they are super good hunters and family members

Re: Boykin info [Re: houstonLBD] #6217844 03/10/16 06:36 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: houstonLBD
There's only been one litter where the sire and dam were both Master Hunter Retrievers, and that litter is only 4-5 months old I believe. Wherever you get a pup from, be sure to ask the breeder for these health clearances from the Boykin Spaniel Society website. http://boykinspaniel.org/checklist.php

According to the owner the dog was out of 2 MH's. I was super excited because I thought I'd really have something to work with, Unfortunately that wasn't the case. He turned out to be a good meat dog for the guy so that's what counts.

Yup, I'm going. I'll be in Master A. I'll also be running the lower stakes as well.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217851 03/10/16 06:46 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Maybe it was 2 Spaniel MH's? Know for a fact that there has only been one HRCH MHR x HRCH MHR litter. My mother in law will be running her Boykin in Master A as well, a littermate to my Girlkin. Keep an eye out for us, we're the only Boykins (shocker) lol.

Last edited by houstonLBD; 03/10/16 06:54 PM.
Re: Boykin info [Re: houstonLBD] #6217873 03/10/16 07:06 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Maybe it was 2 Spaniel MH's? Know for a fact that there has only been one HRCH MHR x HRCH MHR litter. My mother in law will be running her Boykin in Master A as well, a littermate to my Girlkin. Keep an eye out for us, we're the only Boykins (shocker) lol.

No this was a Boykin!! up Maybe MH x MH?

Fun,,, I look forward to meeting your mother in law and you.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: Angie B] #6217909 03/10/16 07:34 PM
T
trainer21 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Angie B

According to the owner the dog was out of 2 MH's. I was super excited because I thought I'd really have something to work with, Unfortunately that wasn't the case. He turned out to be a good meat dog for the guy so that's what counts.

Yup, I'm going. I'll be in Master A. I'll also be running the lower stakes as well.

Angie

Man there's a lot of generalization going on here..There's been a lot of trash thrown by some "Great" Trial breedings from labs!!! The chances of ALL the pups in a litter being the best of the best of the best (lol) are slim and none!!!
If you want the real skinny on a particular breed ask the trial people in that sector http://www.pocotaligokennel.com/index.html not retriever people they are not in the loop!!! IMO

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6217965 03/10/16 08:13 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Kim's kennel at Pocotaligo is a fantastic kennel. Other great Boykin kennels with proven lines are Brandywine Creek, Just Ducky, and Rock n Creek just to name a few. Of the Boykin's that win the Boykin Field Trials, these are the names you typically see competing every year. Other great kennel's out there as well, but these are just a few of the big names you see competing at the Boykin National every year.

Re: Boykin info [Re: trainer21] #6218440 03/11/16 01:08 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: trainer21
Originally Posted By: Angie B

Angie

Man there's a lot of generalization going on here..There's been a lot of trash thrown by some "Great" Trial breedings from labs!!! The chances of ALL the pups in a litter being the best of the best of the best (lol) are slim and none!!!
If you want the real skinny on a particular breed ask the trial people in that sector http://www.pocotaligokennel.com/index.html not retriever people they are not in the loop!!! IMO

If you are a student of the game and breed, there are some very consistent pedigree combinations of both field and show labrador's and goldens. I myself have bred some very uniform litters be it labs or chesapeakes. I'm not aware of the trash talk to speak of when it comes to labradors. But you're a boykin person, so your breed has yet to make it in the mainstream of the retriever world. I look forward to the day it does because I have trained several. To me breed recognized field titles are rather dummy downed IMHO!

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6219042 03/11/16 02:01 PM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Good luck Josh and Cindy. Made us LBD owners proud. Can't waith to be up there on day myself. See ya at nationals.

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6219261 03/11/16 03:45 PM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Good luck Josh and Cindy. Make us LBD owners proud. Can't wait to be up there one day myself. See ya at nationals.

It helps to look at my spelling before sending.

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6220559 03/12/16 02:11 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks Bob! You just running Raider at Nationals, or you bringing Maverick for puppy also?

Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6221025 03/12/16 10:16 PM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Running both Raider- Novice and Maverick- Puppy. See yall there.

Re: Boykin info [Re: houstonLBD] #6222461 03/14/16 02:19 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Angie will you be at Brazosport this weekend? I'll be there running my Boykin in Master B. Hope to see you there.

How did you and your son-in-law make out this weekend? I enjoyed talking to and meeting you both. A CH/MH is a achievable goal. Think Big!!

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6222675 03/14/16 11:29 AM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Cindy didn't make it past the 2nd series in Master A with that odd blind that they planted. My girlkin and I made it thru the 3rd series in Master B(double water blind, double mark), one of our water blinds got a little choppy at the end, so we'll see how it all averages out. We should have had high scores in the other areas, so I'm hopeful! Didn't stick around for ribbons, had to get home, so I'll be keeping a lookout on Entry Express. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Re: Boykin info [Re: houstonLBD] #6224649 03/15/16 11:25 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Cindy didn't make it past the 2nd series in Master A with that odd blind that they planted. My girlkin and I made it thru the 3rd series in Master B(double water blind, double mark), one of our water blinds got a little choppy at the end, so we'll see how it all averages out. We should have had high scores in the other areas, so I'm hopeful! Didn't stick around for ribbons, had to get home, so I'll be keeping a lookout on Entry Express. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'll be pulling for you.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin info [Re: stylesp] #6225264 03/16/16 01:56 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stylesp
Mother is looking into getting a Boykin spaniel. Any information on the breed and any recommended breeders in north Texas area would be appreciated.

Keep looking at my website www.snakebreaker.com I have been invited to train this spring (First weekend in May I think) the Texas Boykin Association. We will be west of Waco a few miles. I will get that information up on my site this week sometime. If you are looking for a boykin, that will be a good place to go and learn from a lot of Boykin lovers.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide