Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
It was a bad day to be a turtle. #6215068 03/09/16 01:13 AM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
On the big pond there's a spot overlooking the north side of the pond where the trees are going down into the water and the turtles get up on the limbs to sun. The bank is about a mile long but the only area I can see is about 150 yards in each direction. The shots ranges from about 90 yards to 175 yards and for once there was no wind coming down the draw. I fired 83 rounds and 7 misses. The little 17 WSM is a little stouter than I thought. It was blowing up sliders 8 to 10 inches long. I'm liking this caliber more and more, wish I could say the same for the little Savage rifle. While accurate I'm just not liking the accutrigger. To be honest it just doesn't feel right but maybe I'll get used to it. So far the little rifle has been flawless other than a few short throws on the bolt. The mag has run like a champ.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215090 03/09/16 01:25 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
banana I love plinking turtles.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215126 03/09/16 01:42 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Nothing wrong with a little turtle management.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215224 03/09/16 02:32 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
For us in east Texas a good turtle pond is like a good dogtown to you folks out west, a load of fun. Of course y'all get to enjoy both cause we don't have prairie dogs. up

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215312 03/09/16 03:26 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
worthless

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: rickym] #6215347 03/09/16 03:50 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: rickym
For us in east Texas a good turtle pond is like a good dogtown to you folks out west, a load of fun. Of course y'all get to enjoy both cause we don't have prairie dogs. up

I don't do it for 'fun' really, but certainly out of necessity. We have one pond in particular (stocked with fish) where the turtle population gets much too high. So from time to time...I will take my .17HMR and go thin them out.

We have a large picnic table down there...so I have a good steady rest. Usually shoot off the bipod...but sometimes will 'bag' the rifle. Any turtle within 100 yds. is is big trouble provided the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215635 03/09/16 02:08 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
My wife's grand parents had a 2 acre pond outside of Crowell. Occasionally I would go out there and run a couple of 50 hook trotlines baited with cut perch or chicken gizzards. Next day I would have a 100 hooked turtles.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215688 03/09/16 02:44 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I don't have anything against shooting over-populated turtles, at all. I just wonder what predator is missing, or if there are non-native/invasive species moving in? Or is it that the only control is over population and eventual starvation?

Shooting 92% would be an "A" grade if you were in school!

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215840 03/09/16 04:11 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
uh oh...

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6215887 03/09/16 04:30 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
There's nothing funner than shooting turtles. We have 3 large tanks on the lease, and wear them out several times a year. My 10/22T is what I like to use.

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6215894 03/09/16 04:34 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

X1

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: Choctaw] #6215905 03/09/16 04:40 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

X1

Love the Explosion up

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: SniperRAB] #6216049 03/09/16 05:40 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

X1

Love the Explosion up

Sitting on a tank dam with a good gun, plenty of ammo and tons of turtles is about as good as it gets.

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6216954 03/10/16 02:01 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Turtle hunting is fun and the accutrigger is horrible!

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: StretchR] #6217529 03/10/16 03:08 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: StretchR
I just wonder what predator is missing, or if there are non-native/invasive species moving in?

Alligator would be the predator missing.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6217825 03/10/16 06:19 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
BornForIt, thanks for the reasonable answer. I don't care about people shooting turtles, I just wondered why so many.

confused2

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6217854 03/10/16 06:48 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I work for a lake management company, and I can tell you that turtles do a lot more good for your pond than bad. They tend to eat mostly invertebrates, aquatic vegetation, and dead or dying fish/animals. They do not eat enough live fish to have an impact on your pond.

The fact that they eat snails (which bring parasites into ponds that can negatively effect your fish), and dead organisms is actually a benefit to the health of your pond.

Bob Lusk, possibly the most well-known lake management consultant in the country says "If a fish gets eaten by a turtle, the fish deserved it."

I don't have anything against someone shooting turtles in their pond for fun, but if you are doing it strictly as a "management" practice to help your fishery, you should probably reconsider. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and this is just my two cents.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6218005 03/10/16 08:36 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
On the big pond there's a spot overlooking the north side of the pond where the trees are going down into the water and the turtles get up on the limbs to sun. The bank is about a mile long but the only area I can see is about 150 yards in each direction. The shots ranges from about 90 yards to 175 yards and for once there was no wind coming down the draw. I fired 83 rounds and 7 misses. The little 17 WSM is a little stouter than I thought. It was blowing up sliders 8 to 10 inches long. I'm liking this caliber more and more, wish I could say the same for the little Savage rifle. While accurate I'm just not liking the accutrigger. To be honest it just doesn't feel right but maybe I'll get used to it. So far the little rifle has been flawless other than a few short throws on the bolt. The mag has run like a champ.
you can remove that blade if that's bothering you. I just ordered the Franklin 17wsm, I had the savae. sold it. I have the Winchester 1885wsm that I would like to sell.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: TTUhunter4] #6218275 03/10/16 11:42 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I work for a lake management company, and I can tell you that turtles do a lot more good for your pond than bad. They tend to eat mostly invertebrates, aquatic vegetation, and dead or dying fish/animals. They do not eat enough live fish to have an impact on your pond.

The fact that they eat snails (which bring parasites into ponds that can negatively effect your fish), and dead organisms is actually a benefit to the health of your pond.

Bob Lusk, possibly the most well-known lake management consultant in the country says "If a fish gets eaten by a turtle, the fish deserved it."

I don't have anything against someone shooting turtles in their pond for fun, but if you are doing it strictly as a "management" practice to help your fishery, you should probably reconsider. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and this is just my two cents.

^^^^^^^ This is absolutely correct (as concerns Red Eared Sliders). ALL snapping turtles get killed in our ponds (no passes).

But even sliders can become so numerous...that you can't leave fish on a stringer without them trying to eat them. They will pursue any top-water bait you throw out. They shed Salmonella (no fun if you've ever had that). IF you feed fish pellets...the turtles come flocking in and eat up floating type pellets.

Generally speaking...turtles are good for a pond (more aquatic Vultures than anything else) but they can be a nuisance too.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: TTUhunter4] #6219956 03/11/16 11:06 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

I disagree. I have caught many fish with nips from turtles out of there flesh. Keep their numbers down and they are okay. But that means one or two in a tank to me.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: passthru] #6220272 03/12/16 03:23 AM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: passthru

I disagree. I have caught many fish with nips from turtles out of there flesh. Keep their numbers down and they are okay. But that means one or two in a tank to me.

You assume the wounds you saw were from turtles and not something else. It would be much more common to see cormorant damage, for example. If you are seeing chunks taken out of adult fish, the odds are extremely low that it was a turtle (I.e. red-eared slider.) Like I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In this case, your opinion just happens to be the opposite of all the guys who actually have the degrees and work in this field.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6220438 03/12/16 07:46 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I don't have a degree, but I know the the Red Ears eat the heck out of dove when they fall in the pond. They are often faster than you can snag one with a Zebco 202. They jerk them under quick. So, they make good target practice with a 22 pistol. I like having a few around, but keep their numbers in check like everything else....

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: passthru] #6220635 03/12/16 03:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

So the professional is wrong and your armchair observation is right?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: txtrophy85] #6220774 03/12/16 05:21 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

So the professional is wrong and your armchair observation is right?

Degrees don't mean poop in a lot of cases. Just another scam to get our money. I'm pretty sure they are beneficial like the man said but I would think that like any species overpopulation is never a good thing. I do know they are fun to shoot but I have never killed every turtle in a tank and with my shooting skills I probably won't. I am not ashamed to say that I kill stuff for FUN sometimes. Turtles, field mice/rats and hogs are all on the for fun menu.

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: skinnerback] #6220776 03/12/16 05:23 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I don't have a degree, but I know the the Red Ears eat the heck out of dove when they fall in the pond. They are often faster than you can snag one with a Zebco 202. They jerk them under quick. So, they make good target practice with a 22 pistol. I like having a few around, but keep their numbers in check like everything else....

Skinner that's why you need to be more observant about where you are shooting! peep

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide