Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6220789 03/12/16 05:34 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
On the big pond there's a spot overlooking the north side of the pond where the trees are going down into the water and the turtles get up on the limbs to sun. The bank is about a mile long but the only area I can see is about 150 yards in each direction. The shots ranges from about 90 yards to 175 yards and for once there was no wind coming down the draw. I fired 83 rounds and 7 misses. The little 17 WSM is a little stouter than I thought. It was blowing up sliders 8 to 10 inches long. I'm liking this caliber more and more, wish I could say the same for the little Savage rifle. While accurate I'm just not liking the accutrigger. To be honest it just doesn't feel right but maybe I'll get used to it. So far the little rifle has been flawless other than a few short throws on the bolt. The mag has run like a champ.

That's some good shooting Mr. HWY but I know it was hard for you to admit that ugly little Savage and you got along just peachy! Be careful though or there will be more of them show up in your safe before you know what happened to you. peep

And next time if you need a spotter or a clip holder just PM me. I would honestly love to meet you someday. I bet we are way more alike than what you would think.

Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6220895 03/12/16 07:29 PM
T
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I like my Savage with accutrigger

Secede!!
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: txtrophy85] #6222234 03/13/16 10:40 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I work for a lake management company, and I can tell you that turtles do a lot more good for your pond than bad. They tend to eat mostly invertebrates, aquatic vegetation, and dead or dying fish/animals. They do not eat enough live fish to have an impact on your pond.

The fact that they eat snails (which bring parasites into ponds that can negatively effect your fish), and dead organisms is actually a benefit to the health of your pond.

Bob Lusk, possibly the most well-known lake management consultant in the country says "If a fish gets eaten by a turtle, the fish deserved it."

I don't have anything against someone shooting turtles in their pond for fun, but if you are doing it strictly as a "management" practice to help your fishery, you should probably reconsider. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and this is just my two cents.

I disagree. I have caught many fish with nips from turtles out of there flesh. Keep their numbers down and they are okay. But that means one or two in a tank to me.

So the professional is wrong and your armchair observation is right?

Didn't mean to mislead you. I wasn't observing from and arm chair. I actually have been in the outdoors observing ponds and issues with turtles. Didn't mean to mislead you. up

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6224587 03/15/16 10:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Another Turtle day on the same pond but the wind was blowing like Hell! Out to 150 yards the wind really had no effect on it. The more I shoot this round the more I like it. Had the chance to bust a few Jackrabbits this morning and a round in the rib cage drops them like they were electrocuted, a shot to the head leaves debris. Still have got to stick a yote yet, that will be the big test, the HMR was definitely a failure in that division. One thing I did find out today is you have to be very deliberate on the trigger when trying to do a fast second shot. Shot one jack and another took off and in the process of getting off a fast second shot the blade hung up and it does it quite often if your not squared up with the trigger.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: It was a bad day to be a turtle. [Re: HWY_MAN] #6225112 03/16/16 05:06 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Shoot a few pigs or yotes with that WSM, I am still in awe at how much damage that fast little bullet does to flesh. A shot to the head/neck is like a sledge hammer to a small/medium sized pig within 100 yrds. Yotes/feral dogs up to 200 yrds have been lights out if you hit them right. I have no experience outside of that and wouldn't push the WSM any further. IMO, way more impressive than the 22 mag or HMR.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide