Print Thread
New to the North Dallas area #6190912 02/19/16 06:03 PM
T
triggerjerker Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Hi all, just moved to The Colony. Being a disabled vet I was able to get the "super combo" for free. So I have all these game tags, but no idea how to hunt. Anyone want to teach me? We could split the meat or something like that. I have my own traditional recurve bow and various bold action rifles I could use (all iron sights, no optic). So....if anyone wants to take on a newbie, Let me know!

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191213 02/19/16 10:36 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
That's gonna be a long shot. Go shooting a lot and get really good with your weapons. Browse Craig's list and on here, find some cheap hog hunts and come deer season you can probably find a doe hunt where you can get a couple for cheap and use some of your tags. Turkey hunting can get expensive if you ever want to use those tags.

Hunting is big business in Texas so be ready to pull out your pocket book, and/or get to know some ranchers that aren't to far from you

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191333 02/20/16 12:24 AM
Deep Sea Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
welcome Glad you made it here to the forum. You will get lots of information on here if you just ask and or look for it. Like Rickym stated, tags are a lot easier to come by than places to use them. I personally never fill all my families tags. There are some great public land areas around the Dallas area to hunt. I put in for the public land hunts on TPWD website every year and usually end up with something for a hunt. You can usually get a hog hunt pretty cheap and those guys will give you some field experience. Good luck and good hunting!

Scott Eastty
AW Scott Construction Company
Bastrop, TX
512-845-0187
For all your metal building needs, state wide.
www.acscott.com
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191375 02/20/16 12:52 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome to the forum.

thank you for your service flag

Hang around a while and get the feel of the place. Get to know some members. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191485 02/20/16 02:22 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF & up for your service... This years been a tough one here, & took a whoopen again taday, or would enjoy your company... Best Wishes ... Will send a pm ta guy hunted with, he's from around their.. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191765 02/20/16 01:16 PM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
welcome

I am also in North Dallas and was in your spot about 4 years ago. You are in the right place for information! Check out the stickies in the Public Hunting forum and get comfortable with your guns. There are plenty of hog outfitters close by, and there is decent public hunting land within a couple hours.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6191917 02/20/16 03:51 PM
T
triggerjerker Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thanks for all the replies! With Irons I can hit 10 out of 10 at 500yards (Marine Corps). I think anything withing 200 yards and I should be fine, no? Anywho, I will definetly look into the public hunting sticky! <- Thanks for that tip grin

So...I take it Texas hunting is more of a business rather than a lifestyle....hmmm, okay. I guess I'll have to save up. Thanks again guys for the quick insight!

On another note, I don't mind tagging along and not taking any shots, more or less for educational purposes. I'd be happy to do all the heavy lifty, skinny, gutting, etc.

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6192006 02/20/16 05:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: triggerjerker
Thanks for all the replies! With Irons I can hit 10 out of 10 at 500yards (Marine Corps). I think anything withing 200 yards and I should be fine, no? Anywho, I will definetly look into the public hunting sticky! <- Thanks for that tip grin

So...I take it Texas hunting is more of a business rather than a lifestyle....hmmm, okay. I guess I'll have to save up. Thanks again guys for the quick insight!

On another note, I don't mind tagging along and not taking any shots, more or less for educational purposes. I'd be happy to do all the heavy lifty, skinny, gutting, etc.

.....please allow me to correct you, hunting in Texas is a lifestyle just as much or more so than any other state; but it's expensive so it's generally managed as a business decision up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6192105 02/20/16 07:35 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: triggerjerker

.....please allow me to correct you, hunting in Texas is a lifestyle just as much or more so than any other state; but it's expensive so it's generally managed as a business decision up

Minnesota we don't pay land owner ta hunt, cuts down on expenses for hunters so even the low income families could aford ta do some grillen & chillen... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6213259 03/07/16 10:35 PM
LandAgent Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I live in the area (Aubrey) just north of you. My family has some private land here in North Texas and I'd love to get you out hunting with me sometime. My brother just got out of the Marines last spring as well. Love helping out vets, especially if it involves hunting cheers Send me a pm

Last edited by VREhunt; 03/07/16 10:36 PM.

Hunting Land & Ranch Sales. I would love to help you buy or sell your dream property! Feel free to contact me anytime with any questions you may have.

http://www.landsoftexas.com/member/339510

Colby: 940.205.7311
cwalding@v-re.com
Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6213523 03/08/16 01:08 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Veterans Xtreme Adventures (VXA) and Camp Valhalla (CV) are both local veteran run organizations. VXA is run by Dave Hillary a decorated, purple heart Army Ranger. CV is run by an ex-Marine, Jesse Diana. Both great guys! Their organizations take disabled vets hunting and fishing. I don't know where you are at on that, but you can Google and contact them. There is a waiting list and vetting process.

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: triggerjerker] #6214963 03/09/16 12:16 AM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Welcome to the forum trigger. Thank you for your service and sacrifice! Where ya from?

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: 1860.colt] #6224871 03/16/16 01:13 AM
T
Tuco63 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T

Quote:
Minnesota we don't pay land owner ta hunt, cuts down on expenses for hunters so even the low income families could aford ta do some grillen & chillen... flag

That just means there's not enough demand. When 20 people want to hunt the same 100 acres up there at the same time the landowner will start to thinkin'...

Re: New to the North Dallas area [Re: Tuco63] #6225681 03/16/16 07:58 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Tuco63

Quote:

That just means there's not enough demand. When 20 people want to hunt the same 100 acres up there at the same time the landowner will start to thinkin'...

scratch You hunted n Minnesota ? Born & raised thar, first deer rifle was the Kentucky .45 Never heard lingo such as my deer, & he has thar stand too close on his side of fence, one hunter telling another hunter, you can't shoot a legal deer, hunting refured to as a sport, ya gots pay ta play just a few texas terms...
Have seen hunting parties bigger than 20 people hunting 100 acres of land, no arguying nor bickerying, 20 hunters, 20 tag's, no arguing who ago what... We hunted ta put food on the grill most used th eir shot guns for bird hunting, with slugs... On a 2 day hunt, doe draw, would usualy limit out, working together ....
Last time up thar rode with my bro & his son on Archeryhunt, left my bow & took camera cause of me shoulder, Things have changed, in the 30+ years been here... A lot more people using in-line muzzle loaders, (powder & 209 caps) big difference in shooting range & acracey comoaired ta my side lock... hunting seasons are longer... Cost of deer meat is still only price of huning licence... As the song goes: Grampa, tell me about the good old days ... Only reason i got on first lease cause tis how its done, & 24-7-365 hog hunt, twas less than a buck a day, & it was family, wife found camper, kids went with, never pressured them ta hunt, twas more camping trip like we did in tent at the lakes, state park... The wisest advice ever given was by credit adviser bout hunting, leasing is a bad investment ... Twas Blessed when WMA opened up down the road, seen a 1 deer county go to a 4 deer county, bye letting deer walk & hunting the other wild game hogs, land owners complain, but few let ya hunt, so did what little i could with what little i had... Seen people do the work ta put up camps, & if got to fancy, price of lease goes up... more money more freedom ... my guns been put up, can't aford ta hunt... flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide