Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting a GSP Pup #6210750 03/05/16 06:13 PM
K
kman2017 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
A few weeks ago I just put down the deposit on my GSP pup! Needless to say I am pretty pumped. I should be getting him around the 1st of June. I am going to purpose him as a dove and duck dog, though he'll mostly be used for waterfowl. Does anyone have any tips they would like to share? Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6210765 03/05/16 06:42 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When you see him point you might repurpose him.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6210797 03/05/16 07:22 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Why are you thinking of using a pointing dog for retrieving work? Would not a lab, Boykin, or English Cocker better serve your needs? GSPs are bred to point and cover the ground getting there. You are kind of going against the grain.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6210923 03/05/16 10:23 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Why get a GSP for a waterfowl dog?

I highly recommend "Training A Retriever Puppy" by Bill Hillmann.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212296 03/07/16 02:14 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Get him/her a neoprene vest, I think short hairs are consider versatile dogs but they are not built for cold water. My GSP is a wimp when it comes to the cold

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212340 03/07/16 02:52 AM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I have 2 gsp's ,, I hunt quail, dove, and ducks ---both of my dogs are incredible ------- I lost about 20% of my quail this year,,, I am looking to get a retriever, either Eng Cocker spaniel or perhaps a Boykin. If your gsp turns out to be a great retriever,you will be lucky.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212489 03/07/16 06:01 AM
K
kman2017 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Dune, did you ever put them through a formal retriever program or did you just work off of their natural abilities? I'm probably going to put mine through a formal retriever program, dependent on how far I get training him on my own and how he does through dove and duck season. I've heard plenty of detractors but I've also heard from several people that they can turn into a wonderful retriever with the correct training. Getting a vest is something I will do, and then have it fitted by my aunt who has a sewing/embroidery business.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212658 03/07/16 02:31 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Only thing I would add is good luck getting him to sit still! grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212779 03/07/16 03:53 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: kman2017
Dune, did you ever put them through a formal retriever program or did you just work off of their natural abilities? I'm probably going to put mine through a formal retriever program, dependent on how far I get training him on my own and how he does through dove and duck season. I've heard plenty of detractors but I've also heard from several people that they can turn into a wonderful retriever with the correct training. Getting a vest is something I will do, and then have it fitted by my aunt who has a sewing/embroidery business.

They can be wonderful retrievers from the correct breeding.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6212973 03/07/16 06:48 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Both of my dogs have been forced broke to retrieve -------- they will,,, but,, they dont want to search for a dead bird,,, they want to hunt. ONCE I had a gsp as good or better than any lab,,,, I have had about 10 gsp,,,,, so that puts the chances at around 10%.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213006 03/07/16 07:04 PM
D
DaleGribble Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
IMO, get a lab if you are mainly dove and duck hunting.

GSP's make great quail/pheasant dogs

Gun's don't kill people. The Government does.

I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennessee walking horse that was looking at me funny.
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213150 03/07/16 08:43 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
I'll settle this, rather than a GSP get a Draht Daathar or a Puddlepointer They do both very well

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213171 03/07/16 09:00 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Deutsch Drahthaar. I'm expecting my DD pup in the middle of the year. Female being flown to Amsterdam for breeding very soon. I'm excited.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213760 03/08/16 03:35 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Drathaar if you want versatility. I pick up my DD pup in 2 weeks, i cant wait.

Anyhow, i know a duck guide that runs a gsp for his hunts and it does quite well, but i think he is the exception. Running a gsp as a retriever is like buying a 4x4 f250 for the track. when you could of spent the same money on a ss camaro designed for that, imho.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213825 03/08/16 04:20 AM
D
DunaGSP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I too just put down a deposit on a new GSP pup! Who did you put down a deposit with? I hope that these people don't scare you off with these post. The main reason that I am going with a GSP is because everyone uses labs, and I do hunt ducks, dove, and upland game birds. I need a dog that can do it all, and there are MANY GSPs that can out perform labs in duck hunting and retrieving overall! I hunt with a buddy on here with his lab, and she is great when it comes to retrieving birds, but can lack some on smelling out wounded birds, and that is where your GSP comes into play with that awesome nose! As for jorge, that commented above....I happen to have a 4x4 f250 that runs down the track and have beat numerous ss camaros....and enjoy doing so. So, be different and go with the GSP, work with it and make it out perform the labs you hunt with... cool

Ducks, Deer, Turkey, Pigs, Upland Game
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: MS1454] #6213874 03/08/16 05:59 AM
K
kman2017 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: MS1454
Originally Posted By: kman2017

They can be wonderful retrievers from the correct breeding.

That is what I have heard and why I am getting one. I am getting mine from a breeder that has had several GSPs hunt tested.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: DunaGSP] #6213878 03/08/16 06:03 AM
K
kman2017 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Dunny
I too just put down a deposit on a new GSP pup! Who did you put down a deposit with? I hope that these people don't scare you off with these post. The main reason that I am going with a GSP is because everyone uses labs, and I do hunt ducks, dove, and upland game birds. I need a dog that can do it all, and there are MANY GSPs that can out perform labs in duck hunting and retrieving overall! I hunt with a buddy on here with his lab, and she is great when it comes to retrieving birds, but can lack some on smelling out wounded birds, and that is where your GSP comes into play with that awesome nose! As for jorge, that commented above....I happen to have a 4x4 f250 that runs down the track and have beat numerous ss camaros....and enjoy doing so. So, be different and go with the GSP, work with it and make it out perform the labs you hunt with... cool

I am getting mine from a breeder outside of Nacodoches. I have three labs, granted they are rescue labs, but not a single one will swim, fetch a ball, or be within a mile of you once you start shooting. I have a strong belief that while there is some genetic predisposition to some aspects of a dog, much of what it learns is nurture. I have the benefit of having a private lake in my backyard and having a ranch a short drive away. I'm not worried about the dog being able to do what I teach it, it's whether I'm able to teach the dog what I want it to learn.

Last edited by kman2017; 03/08/16 04:17 PM.
Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213885 03/08/16 07:05 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If love to see that GSP out perform a trained field bred lab in the duck blind......

Not gonna happen

As far as the nose comments....they use labs as drug dogs and diabetic alert dogs. Overall labs have great noses and just because you know one GSP that has a better nose than one lab you hunt with doesn't mean all GSPs have better noses.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6213915 03/08/16 10:48 AM
T
TX TCAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I currently own both a GSP and a Lab. My GSP is wired to hunt all day long, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I couldn't imagine trying to get him to sit on a stand in a duck blind for several hours. On the other hand, I couldn't imagine my lab running 17 miles in a day on a quail hunt. The lab will pick up every bird that falls (dead or crippled), while the GSP wants to continue hunting. Both have great noses, the difference is what they are bred and trained to do with those noses.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: RayB] #6214298 03/08/16 04:08 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I'll settle this, rather than a GSP get a Draht Daathar or a Puddlepointer They do both very well

Get a deutsch kurzhaar, have very similar test, breeding requirements as the DD.

Look, a gsp was breed for fur and eather, land and water, tracking big game. Now they are mainly pointer wannabee and yet many well bred field lines still show strong versatility. People saying that they see some that couldn't do the work required for duck hunting doesn't mean they are not out there. Check out NAVHDA gsps for proof.

Find a breeder that hunts what you hunt and go see the parents hunt. Simple as that to get what you.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6214315 03/08/16 04:22 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
SHOTS FIRED! lol at the GSP being a "pointer wannabee". I don't think anyone has said that they couldn't do the work, most in this thread just said there are other breeds better suited for the type of work the OP described.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6214358 03/08/16 04:46 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I just don't understand why someone who wants to hunt ducks and dove would want a GSP.

It's hard enough to get a field bred lab to be steady much less a breed that was made to run all day after upland birds.

What's the point? Just because a lot if people use labs you want to be different?

There is reason people use Labrador retrievers to retrieve.

Has anyone here seen a GSP go through a retriever program all the way through transition and be steady, run multiple marks and do cold blinds? I know it's been done but I would think it would take a special dog and bred for that reason.

It's hard enough to get a lab to that point...

The other consideration is how is that dog going to handle retrieving ducks in water with a 25mph wind and sub freezing temps?

At the end of the day it's the OPs choice and good luck to ya!

I'm bias anyway toward labs.

Old man told be this yesterday;

"When god looked down and saw all the dogs he'd made he said to himself "I can do better that" and made the Lab" Haha

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: BradyBuck] #6214398 03/08/16 05:24 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
I just don't understand why someone who wants to hunt ducks and dove would want a GSP.

It's hard enough to get a field bred lab to be steady much less a breed that was made to run all day after upland birds.

What's the point? Just because a lot if people use labs you want to be different?

There is reason people use Labrador retrievers to retrieve.

Has anyone here seen a GSP go through a retriever program all the way through transition and be steady, run multiple marks and do cold blinds? I know it's been done but I would think it would take a special dog and bred for that reason.

It's hard enough to get a lab to that point...

The other consideration is how is that dog going to handle retrieving ducks in water with a 25mph wind and sub freezing temps?

At the end of the day it's the OPs choice and good luck to ya!

I'm bias anyway toward labs.

Old man told be this yesterday;

"When god looked down and saw all the dogs he'd made he said to himself "I can do better that" and made the Lab" Haha

Maybe he isnt looking for everything you describe? A lot of use, myself included just want to sit on a bucket and not have to get up. The GSP I owned fulfilled that. Yes, he couldn't run a 100 yard blind, but for the most part he did everything I wanted him to do.

To each their own

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: Baylor_Bears] #6214416 03/08/16 05:37 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Well, let's use this analogy then.

You could brush your teeth with a comb and get the job done, but there is a better way to go about it.

BTW, I did see a guy on my lease kind of retrieving doves with a beagle....from a leash.....could find a dead one and start baying. Would not pick it up though.

Re: Getting a GSP Pup [Re: kman2017] #6214645 03/08/16 08:18 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Maybe I've been lucky and I've only had 5 shorthairs but everyone of them would retrieve and hunt dead. Any bird dog will want to keep hunting and running. You have to make them get in there and hunt dead. Until you beat it into them that they are going to find that dead bird or keep looking until your ready to stop they'll all keep on running. I've had shorthairs dig themselves completely out of sight in a rathole and come out with a bird. If your losing 20% of your dead birds you need to do some work on your dogs. But that's just my opinion.

I would buy a lab if I were mostly going to use a dog for duck hunting. I have had one lab when I lived in east Texas for a while and only duck hunted. I loved that dog. He was easy to train but was way too big and shed all of the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide