Forum Stats
60401 Members
45 Forums
475462 Topics
6237379 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#6212485 - 03/06/16 11:34 PM Hog Doggers really pissing me off......!
flintknapper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
I see 'hog dogs' on my cameras about once a month, sometimes more. Yeah, I know all about Hog Doggin' and know that sometimes dogs will stray farther than anticipated, but last nights event...really turned into something that I'm just fed up with.

I've been working really hard to get a particular Boar to either go into my pen trap, or show up at one of the bait sites where I could just shoot him. Very unpredictable hog, no set pattern. Just spent 7 hours on stand two nights ago (one of many attempts) and he was a no-show.

Have tons of video of him at one bait site and lots of video of him 'stalling' at the trap door. Finally last night about 9:00 p.m. he went into the pen trap, tripped the door and was caught. After his initial crash into the panels he was going around the trap looking for any place to get out...like they normally do. Video captures it every one minute.

About 1:30 a.m. he starts running back and forth the entire length of the trap, pulls at the door then makes two attempts to climb the 5' panels. Makes it out the second attempt. At 1:35 a.m. two hog dogs (a cur and some blue and white looking hound) appear on the camera, circle the trap and then take off.

I didn't know any of that until I got back to the house with the Game Cam card this morning. When I went to go check the cameras and put out corn, I saw the trap doors closed but no hog inside. Ground is all rooted up and I can see dirt on the panel and hair on the top where it climbed out. Knew right away it had to be the boar I was after. So I'm putting a new card in the camera when the two dogs come walking up to me. Tracking collars on, and name tag collars.

I caught one of them, removed both collars and went back to the house to call the owner. Thought I'd look at the video first. Apparently, the Boar had settled down and was just milling around until he heard the dogs (or dogs and people). I believe that is what caused him to try harder to escape.

Anyway, I'm still sitting at my computer going through the last of the videos when a truck drives up in my front yard. Two guys get out, one has a receiver in hand. I go out the door and ask the first one "are you Bl___e", he says no, asked the other one, same thing...no. They had homed in on the collar I had in truck.

I told them where I found the dogs this morning (dogs belong to one of their Son's as it turns out) and where to go look for them. They said they were running the dogs about a mile from here last night. I asked them what time, they looked at each other and said about 1:00 a.m.

Told them they needed to take measures to be sure the dogs didn't go onto other peoples property. They just said "that's kinda hard to do". I told them what happened with the boar and that other dogs (not theirs) also come through the property and ruin my efforts to trap, shoot and snare hogs. They seemed to not care in the least, just wanted to know if the dogs were "O.K."

I told them if they haven't gotten into any of the snares I have out, they should still be back there and be fine, go and get them and keep them off the property in the future.

No apologies, no other comments, just got in their vehicle and left. I don't blame the dogs, they are just doing what dogs do. The Hog Doggers on the other hand know damn good and well the dogs are ranging off of the property they have permission to hunt.

Yeah, I know these two Bubbas don't represent ALL Hog Doggers, but for the Dogger's reading this...you'd be well advised to start policing your own. Too many people out there just going where ever the hell they want to, some with dogs that couldn't catch a pig if it was tied to their neck.

I hope Hog Doggers in other places are not like the ones I know here in Deep East Texas.

Really tired of this crap!

Edited by flintknapper (03/07/16 04:36 PM)

#6212488 - 03/06/16 11:56 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
SSS.

#6212582 - 03/07/16 07:31 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Tomball, Tx
Courtesy and respect seem to be out the window these days. Maybe a call to the local GW might help them be more mindful on property lines and respect.
lonestarskullworks@gmail.com

#6212619 - 03/07/16 08:00 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
SSS.

No, I wouldn't shoot collared dogs or any dog that I thought wasn't feral/wild (if not attacking livestock).

I don't fault the dogs. They are just doing what dogs do.

Or maybe you were referring to the hunters? wink Can't do that either. wink

Sooner or later someones dog is going to end up in one of my snares. I set snares such that other animals (deer especially) are not likely to get into one, but a dog could easily follow a hog trail and be caught in the same fence crossing site.

Hate for that to happen, but Doggers run that risk.

#6212633 - 03/07/16 08:16 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
I feel for you

You had a talk w them
Now talk to the sheriff
Stop drama from becoming chaos

#6212637 - 03/07/16 08:18 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
I would have told them that you saw the dogs being chased by a couple coyotes last night but all you found this morning was a collar.

#6212662 - 03/07/16 08:35 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: Blue Tick]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Blue Tick
Courtesy and respect seem to be out the window these days. Maybe a call to the local GW might help them be more mindful on property lines and respect.

Depending upon the locale, I am not sure Courtesy and Respect EVER existed.

Game Warden would not be able to do much in this case, since no 'trespass' occurred (that I can prove).

I can't show that the hunters were on the property, just the dogs.

Dogs entering a property (in Texas) is not trespass and no other 'criminal' offense is applicable that I am aware of (that relates solely to the presence of the animal).

A Landowner/Agents only recourse is to run the animals off or capture them and call the owner or animal control (if in the city). IF the dogs have not attacked, are attacking or about to attack, livestock, people, pets, etc...then you can't shoot them (legally), which is your only other solution.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.822.htm

And that isn't my intent anyway. I would never 'punish' a thoughtless human by killing or harming an innocent dog.

Hunting hogs with dogs has it's place. I have participated in such hunts more than once in the past.

But in areas where farms/ranches tend to be small (under a section/640 acres many times), hog doggers risk having their dogs stray onto neighboring property. They are constantly looking for new places to run their dogs...because around here...they wear out their welcome pretty quickly.

That and there seems to be a disdain for anyone using different methods to kill hogs I.E. (Trapping, shooting, snaring). You would think we were killing THEIR hogs!

Apparently, they WANT as many hogs around as possible...so they can continue their 'sport'. On my property and my FIL's property...we are committed to killing as many hogs as we can. It isn't SPORT for us. Hogs do terrible damage to the pastures.

I see no reason why all who pursue Feral Hogs can't get along, IF each person acts responsibly.

#6212790 - 03/07/16 10:00 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
If you ever need to build new fence maybe net wire would be a wise choice.

#6212849 - 03/07/16 10:53 AM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: SMTX
I always thought dogs crossing the fence still constituted trespassing

#6213000 - 03/07/16 01:02 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: DuckCoach1985]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
I always thought dogs crossing the fence still constituted trespassing

No, it doesn't...and shouldn't.

Dogs are not aware of property lines and can not be held accountable...as their human owners can.

The mere presence of a dog on your property is not a criminal offense (with few exceptions).

I also understand, that even really GOOD dogs and RESPONSIBLE hog hunters can have something go wrong. I wouldn't be bent out of shape about that.

But we get pics of hog dogs (sometimes the same ones) at least twice a month on both properties. It is the habitual lack of control (intentional or not) that has finally pushed me over the edge.

Also, (every experience so far)...the total dismissal of accountability by the dog owners. You would think it was their 'right' to follow their dogs where ever they go and to retrieve the animals without asking permission.

Most know full well...that the dogs are going to cross property lines and make no attempt to call them back (or can't). That is why they start their hunts at midnight or later, knowing that people are either asleep or will not be willing to go out and investigate.

ONLY if the dogs run so far that they can't track them with GPS or just give up the chase and come back the next day, does anyone know about it.

This is becoming common practice in my part of Deep East Texas and I suspect other places as well.

#6213053 - 03/07/16 01:40 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
you ever heard of leash law ?

you should do something about it,
defending dogs crossing property lines are ok equates to wasting time

#6213083 - 03/07/16 01:57 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Flintknapper,

Couple of years back I posted that East Texas is a different planet when it comes to hogs and privileges, that people feel born with and continue to practice. You might as well go to Africa and tell the natives to quit drinking cow's blood. Dogs crossing property lines can pose many problems but in East Texas it is a different phenom. Much worse than the Civil War, Cattle rancher and open range, whalers and Green Peace, HF vs LF.

Hope you manage to find an answer. Maybe your own pack of bigger, meaner, hungrier dogs? Might tie that GPS collar on the bottom of a UPS van, at least keep them busy for a day...

#6213130 - 03/07/16 02:25 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: cabosandinh]
Tracker

Quote:
you ever heard of leash law ?

Yes, I am literate and have heard of such. wink No leash laws in my county.

Quote:
you should do something about it,
defending dogs crossing property lines are ok equates to wasting time

A leash law (as applied to hunting circumstances) where dogs are expected to pursue their quarry doesn't make a lot of sense now...does it. Have you ever heard of 'practical'?

The answer (of course) is simply for dog owners to make every effort to control their animals and to have proper respect and consideration for others...when things don't work out as planned.

No need for more laws...if folks will just do the proper thing. I am not defending dogs crossing property lines or suggesting it is "OK", I am simply stating...I can see where it might happen innocently enough and that I don't fault the dog.

#6213161 - 03/07/16 02:51 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
603Country Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Flintnapper is nicer than I am, and his approach isn't going to solve his problem. My approach, however, might make the problem worse. So, other than running my mouth, I don't know what the answer is. But I have questions:

- If, for the sake of discussion only, a dog AND his GPS locator were "deactivated", would the last known position of the GPS locator be shown on the dog owner's locator unit - your back yard, for instance?

#6213176 - 03/07/16 03:02 PM Re: Hog Doggers really pissing me off......! [Re: flintknapper]
der Teufel Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Hmmm, where I hunt there are quite a few signs posted along the county roads to the effect of:

Dogs running loose
$500 Fine

I never looked at them too closely but I assume it's a county ordinance. If I consistently had your troubles (I have had that experience on occasion) I'd sure figure out how to turn in the offending dogs so that the owners paid the fine.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide