#6210966 - 03/05/16 05:44 PM Interesting article on the 9mm
mikei Online   content
Pro Tracker

#6211064 - 03/05/16 07:26 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Nothing I havnt read a thousand times.

#6211073 - 03/05/16 07:37 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: Tff caribou]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I'd be happy to take a stab at this...

Quote:
why did the FBI go back to the 9mm if the 10mm was so much better?

The 10mm proved to be more cartridge than the average agent could handle.

Quote:
Why have the Navy SEALs used the SIG P226 in 9mm as their primary sidearm for decades?

I would suggest the reliability of that particular pistol and the easy acquisition of 9mm ammo.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6211088 - 03/05/16 07:47 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
If you are using 9mm, it is much like a .38 special in power.

38 special is widely considered to be marginal, which says a lot about the 9mm.

In small compact autos it makes a lot of sense. In anything that can handle 40 S&W though, I will opt for 40 caliber every time.

My favorite automatic pistol cartridge is 10mm, for full-sized autos. Good for self-defense, and useful for deer or pigs if the gun is accurate enough.

I've owned five different 10mm autos so far. My favorite out of the ones I've tried is the obsolete Colt Double Eagle. I had a long-slide govt model in 10mm that was very accurate, but it always seemed to have feeding problems, dang it.

The one I liked least was the "Ranger", manufactured by some fly by night brand-X outfit in the 80's.

I've also owned my share of 9mm autos... I guess my favorite so far would be the Ruger LC9.

Edited by charlesb (03/05/16 07:52 PM)

#6211159 - 03/05/16 08:38 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
HWY_MAN Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Howard County
Big fan of the 9mm, my preference is either in a Sig or a Browning Hi-Power.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

#6211207 - 03/05/16 08:59 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
Sherpa Dog Offline
Woodsman

Loc: NB, TX
Here goes this age old debate again... The rest of the world against 9mm & trying to quote what CAG, NSWDG, or SAS are using..

Truthfully what it boils down to is shot placement & projectiles.. Who cares what everyone else shoots! If you can not handle a more powerful .40, .45, or 10mm then it does you little good. However if you are accurate with a 9mm loaded with with hydra-shok's & you have solid follow up shots, then your a force to be reckoned with.

Do some research on CAG using .45's for so long & the many reasons why. But also keep in mind the majority of them are the size of a neanderthal & shoot more in 1 week than most do in 5 years. flag

#6211352 - 03/05/16 10:59 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
I'll be switching from Ranger 357sig to the Hornady 9mm +P+ Critical Duty. Far better round with less felt recoil and higher magazine capacity. Shot placement is key and follow ups are second most important

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6211391 - 03/06/16 01:29 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Seems the problem/discussion that always comes up when around real pistoleros is what your opponent will be wearing, Tshirt, plus flannel, what about denim jacket or leather M/C jacket, and will it be a 230 # muscle builder or a 135 # thin teenager, and then will you be shooting at 7 feet or possibly having to take shots at longer range to protect yourself. And what if they are in an auto or behind a plate glass window, and will the pistol be your only weapon or will you have a companion armed with a rifle.

Next throw in the mental state and possible use of drugs. Or the fact that your opponent is planning on this meeting, thus wearing more protective clothing. Under any of the above circumstances the best bullet in one instance may not be the best in another.
Any thoughts or comments after "if" or "but" are bs in the real world. Just my 2cents

#6211610 - 03/06/16 09:45 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
Marc in Bastrop Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Bastrop County
I've been a .357/.44 mag guy for 35 years. But.....now I carry a mid-compact 9mm with 15 rounds.

Modern ammo is available to do anything I want to do with a small gun - from hollow point, to hardcast to serious penetration rounds.

I know it's unpopular, but I do prefer stacked loading in my mags, with hollow point on top. I'm not a highly trained warrior or LEO....and fully realize what an adrenaline dump does to my fine motor skills.

Marc

Edited by Marc Kurth (03/06/16 09:46 AM)

#6211620 - 03/06/16 09:54 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: Sherpa Dog]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
Originally Posted By: Sherpa Dog
Here goes this age old debate again... The rest of the world against 9mm & trying to quote what CAG, NSWDG, or SAS are using..

Truthfully what it boils down to is shot placement & projectiles.. Who cares what everyone else shoots! If you can not handle a more powerful .40, .45, or 10mm then it does you little good. However if you are accurate with a 9mm loaded with with hydra-shok's & you have solid follow up shots, then your a force to be reckoned with.

Do some research on CAG using .45's for so long & the many reasons why. But also keep in mind the majority of them are the size of a neanderthal & shoot more in 1 week than most do in 5 years. flag

Have they considered .32 ACP? - Lots less recoil there. Shot placement is the key.

Edited by charlesb (03/06/16 09:54 AM)

#6211633 - 03/06/16 10:07 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: blackcoal]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Seems the problem/discussion that always comes up when around real pistoleros is what your opponent will be wearing, Tshirt, plus flannel, what about denim jacket or leather M/C jacket, and will it be a 230 # muscle builder or a 135 # thin teenager, and then will you be shooting at 7 feet or possibly having to take shots at longer range to protect yourself. And what if they are in an auto or behind a plate glass window, and will the pistol be your only weapon or will you have a companion armed with a rifle.

Next throw in the mental state and possible use of drugs. Or the fact that your opponent is planning on this meeting, thus wearing more protective clothing. Under any of the above circumstances the best bullet in one instance may not be the best in another.
Any thoughts or comments after "if" or "but" are bs in the real world. Just my 2cents

Go check out Hornady Critical Duty. When some the nations largest departments with the most OIS are switching to that, there's something to take notice. The Critical Duty performs excellent in every scenario you mentioned

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6211636 - 03/06/16 10:10 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: charlesb]
Sherpa Dog Offline
Woodsman

Loc: NB, TX
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Have they considered .32 ACP? - Lots less recoil there. Shot placement is the key.

Who knows what has been considered? If shot placement wasn't the key, you could always use a 155mm howitzer or griffin missile to solve some problems in the world.

#6211643 - 03/06/16 10:20 AM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
tehachapi Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Harris County
Opinions are like elbows, everyone has 2.

#6211745 - 03/06/16 12:08 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: mikei]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
I carry a .45, cause I'm not a girl.

#6211798 - 03/06/16 01:15 PM Re: Interesting article on the 9mm [Re: BigPig]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Go check out Hornady Critical Duty. When some the nations largest departments with the most OIS are switching to that, there's something to take notice. The Critical Duty performs excellent in every scenario you mentioned

But should one use Critical Duty or Critical Defense ??? cheers

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide