What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? #6201609 02/27/16 08:18 PM
M
Mrs. Mahan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I wrote a blog post this morning on Spring Turkey Hunting with Decoys

I know that everyone has their own techniques for their areas. But I'm curious, what are some of the techniques ya'll use while turkey hunting to bring home a big tom? aim
(Such as a favorite call or decoy, or favorite place to hunt, something that ensures you'll see some action)

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...1050798138_n.jp[/img]

Last edited by Mrs. Mahan; 02/27/16 08:23 PM.
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6202077 02/28/16 03:20 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Nice bird.

I hunt two ways. Morning I try to set up between the roost and where the turkey want to go. I use 4 decoys I put a hen laying down a strutting jake behind her then a jake and a hen nearby. In the mid morning I run and gun by traveling the high ground. If I hear a gobble I normally do not set up decoys because the Tom may be too close. I use mouth and slate calls, sometimes they gobble at one sometimes both.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6202086 02/28/16 03:24 AM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My favorite turkey technique is to wait for the feeder to go off in November and pull the trigger once I feel confident a big buck isnt coming in.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6202254 02/28/16 07:00 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sit between roost and travel then run and run. Can't wait.

[Linked Image]
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6202262 02/28/16 10:57 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Mid Morning...set up in a turkey rich area with a strutting tom, a breeding hen right in front, and a loafing hen decoy. Call until I strike a bird, and let the show begin.

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6202350 02/28/16 02:14 PM
M
Mrs. Mahan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
My favorite turkey technique is to wait for the feeder to go off in November and pull the trigger once I feel confident a big buck isnt coming in.

roflmao

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6203358 02/29/16 12:01 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I am fortunate the rancher sees their habits. He doesn't know the exact spot they roost but he tells me their travel routes early morning. So all I have to do is listen for them going to roost. In the morning I set up decoys as close as I dare to the roost. Right before daylight I call. Usually they gobble back. Of they do, it's on. Late season of they don't gobble back then it will be a long day. I use and old box call, unknown brand. I also use diaphragm calls, whatever Academy sells.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6204613 03/01/16 02:18 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Run & gun. I like the challenge of showing up in woods known to have a parcel of turkeys roaming the place. Get high or in a good listening place. When I hear them sounding off...off I go toward them. The fun is over quick or most times its mid to late morning when its over. If I do not hear them sounding off at first light I just run and gun till I strike a bird. Sitting around has its place but its not for me. I sat long enough back in deer season...time to put some boot leather down!

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: BDB] #6204646 03/01/16 02:34 AM
M
Mrs. Mahan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: BDB
Run & gun. I like the challenge of showing up in woods known to have a parcel of turkeys roaming the place. Get high or in a good listening place. When I hear them sounding off...off I go toward them. The fun is over quick or most times its mid to late morning when its over. If I do not hear them sounding off at first light I just run and gun till I strike a bird. Sitting around has its place but its not for me. I sat long enough back in deer season...time to put some boot leather down!

Interesting! I've never known anyone to hunt turkey on foot, but it sounds fun! elmer

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6204677 03/01/16 02:50 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Have killed lots of turkey early but most have been later in the morning or throughout the afternoon. If I do not get a response early I will settle in somewhere I know turkeys like to be or if on a unfamiliar place for a while and take some good naps calling some when I wakeup enough. More than once have been woken up by a gobbler in range looking for that hen that was talking there earlier. Somewhere around 10 I will start hunting in earnest again having given the gobblers time to get tired of chasing those no longer receptive hens that they have been with since before daylight and are looking for more hens. Those later in the morning can be some of the easiest to call in. Run and gun is fun also but I do not run nearly as well as I once did.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6204879 03/01/16 06:36 AM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
At age 71, my "run and gun" is now "sit and ambush." Key is knowing their habits.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: kmon11] #6205020 03/01/16 01:48 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Have killed lots of turkey early but most have been later in the morning or throughout the afternoon. If I do not get a response early I will settle in somewhere I know turkeys like to be or if on a unfamiliar place for a while and take some good naps calling some when I wake up enough. More than once have been woken up by a gobbler in range looking for that hen that was talking there earlier. Somewhere around 10 I will start hunting in earnest again having given the gobblers time to get tired of chasing those no longer receptive hens that they have been with since before daylight and are looking for more hens. Those later in the morning can be some of the easiest to call in. Run and gun is fun also but I do not run nearly as well as I once did.

One of the videos I posted was of my nephew's first bird. The day before we had a gobbler lock up behind a barbed wire fence at the 50 yard mark. He simply would not cross that barrier. The next day was the last day of the season. We set up early and the gobblers left the roost and headed out into a field 400 yards away and they wouldn't even gobble at the sound of the call. We moved spot and called for an hour. We moved again, called and thought we heard a gobble from a long way off, across the county road with barbed wire fences on both sides. That bird called again but we could tell it was closer.

45 minutes later he was standing in the middle of a very busy oilfield gravel road, fanned out and gobbling. He still had 75 more yards to close for a shot. He eventually just appeared through the brush. My nephew was able to pile him up. That was a lot more fun than shooting him myself.

That hunt falls right in line with what you stated. I couldn't believe we got one from so far that late in the morning. I had never hunted so late and only did it because I didn't want to give up on getting my nephew a bird.

Last edited by wal1809; 03/01/16 01:49 PM.
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6205181 03/01/16 03:28 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I wear a lightweight camo outfit made from empty cereal boxes and set my phone alarm for 30 minutes before sunrise in my specific area, about three minutes before the alarm I get in position, take aim on the biggest gobbler in the frozen section and when the alarm sounds I cut loose. If I'm stealthy enough and quick, I can get out of the Kroger's and into my truck before the store employees figure out what happened. Lot easier now that the stores stay open 24/7.
elmer

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6205190 03/01/16 03:34 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
let them jump up on the windmill tank... line three up in the scope and fill your tags all at once

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6205363 03/01/16 05:34 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Being as I feed all year the turkeys will usually come by feeders as well as the deer. I do set up 4 decoys and wait for a gobble or sighting. Like to use the slate calls. I hunt early in the morning as preference but do have luck late afternoon. We were at the lease last Saturday watching a feeder from about 150 yards when 5 jakes/gobblers showed up. We used a box call and brought them within 40 yards of us. it was 6:40 PM.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: kmon11] #6206232 03/02/16 02:42 AM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Have killed lots of turkey early but most have been later in the morning or throughout the afternoon. If I do not get a response early I will settle in somewhere I know turkeys like to be or if on a unfamiliar place for a while and take some good naps calling some when I wakeup enough. More than once have been woken up by a gobbler in range looking for that hen that was talking there earlier. Somewhere around 10 I will start hunting in earnest again having given the gobblers time to get tired of chasing those no longer receptive hens that they have been with since before daylight and are looking for more hens. Those later in the morning can be some of the easiest to call in. Run and gun is fun also but I do not run nearly as well as I once did.

I do about the same as kmon1. I shot a nice tom last year after taking a nice mid-afternoon nap up against a post oak. I woke up, hit the call once, and four toms came rushing in from less than 50 yards! It happened so quick I wasn't quite sure what happened. lol

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: BDB] #6206489 03/02/16 11:22 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
It's great to kill them off the roost when they cooperate but run and gun is the most fun. I don't like to sit in an area and wait. That's the fun of turkey hunting, you don't have to...

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6207462 03/03/16 12:03 AM
J
JMalin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Run and gun is great when they are talking and not henned up, but I've had better success just sitting tight. I've been busted more than once by birds coming in silent while covering territory trying to locate a tom.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6220533 03/12/16 01:40 PM
T
Tophers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Run and gun style or sit tight in a strut zone and wait.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: Mrs. Mahan] #6233429 03/23/16 03:21 AM
M
Mrs. Mahan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Well I talked to my dad about where the turkeys roost so that I could try the run & gun technique. Unfortunately they are roosting on the next property over. There's 2 groups that come to the turkey feeder every evening right at 6:30. Looks like I'll be hunting turkey out of the ground blind again this year.

Re: What's your favorite turkey hunting technique? [Re: thedoveshooter] #6233946 03/23/16 05:08 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: thedoveshooter

I do about the same as kmon1. I shot a nice tom last year after taking a nice mid-afternoon nap up against a post oak. I woke up, hit the call once, and four toms came rushing in from less than 50 yards! It happened so quick I wasn't quite sure what happened. lol

I have killed several after a nap too!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide