Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Open Carry Opinion Question #6204035 02/29/16 07:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My wife enjoys walking, which means we often find ourselves walking in remote areas of parks and other places.

Do you feel there is a deterrent benefit to open carry in remote or isolated areas, or woukd it be best to always appear unarmed?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204103 02/29/16 08:39 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Situational awareness and your command presence

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204112 02/29/16 08:51 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I grew up in WV and spent the last three years in Arizona where open carry is completely legal, and very common. No issues at all with open carry, even though tacticool community likes to paint them as targets. Contrary to what some folks think, criminals do not prefer armed victims.

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 02/29/16 08:52 PM.
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204113 02/29/16 08:53 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I think it is a good idea to carry however I like to keep it at least somewhat concealed. I dont want people to know I have it until I need them to. I lived in the country for most of my life and I felt safer there than I do in the middle of the Metroplex.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Brother in-law] #6204128 02/29/16 09:07 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Situational awareness and your command presence

Can you comment further? Does your armed appearance also position you as being more in command of your situation than you would otherwise?

My wife enjoys walking on a 13 mile public trail that winds along a creek in our area. Much of the trail is located in areas that are isolated and away from roads and other access. My question really focuses on whether or not there would be any benefit in open carry in such remote areas where it could literally take a half-hour or more for a LEO to reach you. I should also add the trail is located in what some might call a buffer area between high and lower crime areas of suburban Houston.

Just throwing the question out there for good discussion on the pros and cons.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204304 02/29/16 11:07 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I think one advantage of open carry would be quicker access to the weapon should the need arise.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Phantom] #6204321 02/29/16 11:22 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: phantom
I think it is a good idea to carry however I like to keep it at least somewhat concealed. I dont want people to know I have it until I need them to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Surprises are like gifts. Its better to give than to receive.....

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Colt W. Knight] #6204336 02/29/16 11:30 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I grew up in WV and spent the last three years in Arizona where open carry is completely legal, and very common. No issues at all with open carry, even though tacticool community likes to paint them as targets. Contrary to what some folks think, criminals do not prefer armed victims.

I think you got this backwards. It's the LOOK AT ME, tacticool crowd that wants to show off their piece. I could care less what the next guy does and support the right to Carry. I am far from the tacticool crowd and will keep mine covered.

And Yes, I do believe in some situations, you can paint yourself as a target. And as the other side of the argument, maybe it could prevent something. I don't intend to find out.

I was taught situational awareness and command presence at a fairly early age on the job. No need to show your cards. Carrying yourself like you are in control of situations will go along ways.

Also, why put yourself in a predicament of walking in an area that you deem sketchy? Why not pick somewhere you think may be safer? Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 02/29/16 11:45 PM.
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204357 02/29/16 11:44 PM
T
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
No predator is going to see a woman carrying a firearm and be MORE inclined to make an attack.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: tehachapi] #6204360 02/29/16 11:46 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: tehachapi
No predator is going to see a woman carrying a firearm and be MORE inclined to make an attack.

Unless you are in the local stop and shop and the crazed lunitac is already of mind to do everybody he sees grave harm. Then you are target numero UNO.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco] #6204387 03/01/16 12:05 AM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

I think you got this backwards. It's the LOOK AT ME, tacticool crowd that wants to show off their piece. I could care less what the next guy does and support the right to Carry. I am far from the tacticool crowd and will keep mine covered.

And Yes, I do believe in some situations, you can paint yourself as a target. And as the other side of the argument, maybe it could prevent something. I don't intend to find out.

I was taught situational awareness and command presence at a fairly early age on the job. No need to show your cards. Carrying yourself like you are in control of situations will go along ways.

Also, why put yourself in a predicament of walking in an area that you deem sketchy? Why not pick somewhere you think may be safer? Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

Good post. Really good.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204406 03/01/16 12:21 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Tough choice. Do both at the same time. One open, the other concealed.

Last edited by Marc Kurth; 03/01/16 12:22 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco] #6204494 03/01/16 01:16 AM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Tell us how much less you could care.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204520 03/01/16 01:28 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
First avoid isolated areas.

But if that's all you got, I like a fanny pack in front or one of the Maxpedition over the shoulder bags, either way, since you're walking have it unzipped.

The main key is don't look longingly into each others eyes but always be aware of people around you. If someone approaches , slip your hand in your bag, grip your gun till it returns to condition green.

you don't want anyone "surprising" you.

if you open carry and look like you know what to do with it, someone would be really whacked out to F with you.

very isolated area?? 14.5" AR, slung in front. texas

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: tenyearsgone] #6204638 03/01/16 02:30 AM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

I just did. Do what you like. Its legal. It's not for me. More power to you. Simple enough?

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco] #6204683 03/01/16 02:53 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

The focus here is what actions a person can take to avoid becoming a victim. That having been said, how many crime victims would agree it was their own actions that made them become a victim?

Granted, there are those who might open carry in hopes of having an opportunity to use their weapon. However, I believe the vast majority of those who open carry, do so in order to demonstrate their ability to protect themselves and lessen the chance of having to use their firearm.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204693 03/01/16 03:02 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
They won't agree because they didn't know.

Go toothed store tomorrow and see how close you can get to lady and her purse.

Know you surroundings and keep a Safe,distance. That distances is unknown. What if your self to death.

Stand strong and look ahead at what could be a threat or threat area.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204700 03/01/16 03:04 AM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I am not saying any crime is the victims fault.

You are suggesting/inferring/asking if openly carrying a firearm would be acceptable in an area bordered by High crime.

If that's what it takes to make you feel safe, then get after it. I hold the opposing opinion.

What I meant by the comment was that avoiding an area that YOU feel succeptible to falling victim in is probably the best option, gun or no gun.

In my mind, that firearm is a weapon of last resort and should only be pulled or shown when eminent danger is unavoidable.

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 03/01/16 03:19 AM.
Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204701 03/01/16 03:05 AM
N
NTRP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
If you decide to open carry on your walks, I would highly recommend a Level 2 retention holster. I always use one the infrequent times I open carry. It's just an added level of weapon safety and security.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco] #6204705 03/01/16 03:07 AM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

I just did. Do what you like. Its legal. It's not for me. More power to you. Simple enough?

My point is it's "couldn't care less". If you could care less, that means you care a little bit since you could care less than you currently do. wink

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Brother in-law] #6204740 03/01/16 03:29 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Stand strong and look ahead at what could be a threat or threat area.

A display of some form of physical resistance is common in the animal world as a deterrent to attack. Even prey animals often have a way of demonstrate their strength in not being caught.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204883 03/01/16 07:02 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Everyone open carries on The Walking Dead... there must be a reason! lol444 peep

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6204886 03/01/16 07:57 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Open carrying may be a deterrent or it may not. You just can't predict that. Use your best judgement on a case by case basis and do the best you can. There is not settled rule.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: gusick] #6204893 03/01/16 10:56 AM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: gusick
Open carrying may be a deterrent or it may not. You just can't predict that. Use your best judgement on a case by case basis and do the best you can. There is not settled rule.

This. Do not depend on open carry to get you out of bad situations by simply displaying the weapon. Don't put yourself in bad situations to begin with. Sometimes it can't be helped, but other times it can. Being constantly aware of your surroundings and reacting to them correctly is more important than whether you carry concealed or not.

Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6205015 03/01/16 01:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

The focus here is what actions a person can take to avoid becoming a victim. That having been said, how many crime victims would agree it was their own actions that made them become a victim?

Granted, there are those who might open carry in hopes of having an opportunity to use their weapon. However, I believe the vast majority of those who open carry, do so in order to demonstrate their ability to protect themselves and lessen the chance of having to use their firearm.

You describe a remote area bordering some very bad areas. Sounds like main action you can take to keep your wife from becoming a victim is finding her another place to do her walking.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide