475962 Topics
6243650 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6204035 - 02/29/16 01:44 PM Open Carry Opinion Question
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

My wife enjoys walking, which means we often find ourselves walking in remote areas of parks and other places.

Do you feel there is a deterrent benefit to open carry in remote or isolated areas, or woukd it be best to always appear unarmed?

Spring, Texas

#6204103 - 02/29/16 02:39 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Situational awareness and your command presence

#6204112 - 02/29/16 02:51 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: West Virginia
I grew up in WV and spent the last three years in Arizona where open carry is completely legal, and very common. No issues at all with open carry, even though tacticool community likes to paint them as targets. Contrary to what some folks think, criminals do not prefer armed victims.

Edited by Colt W. Knight (02/29/16 02:52 PM)

#6204113 - 02/29/16 02:53 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
phantom Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: dfw
I think it is a good idea to carry however I like to keep it at least somewhat concealed. I dont want people to know I have it until I need them to. I lived in the country for most of my life and I felt safer there than I do in the middle of the Metroplex.

#6204128 - 02/29/16 03:07 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Brother in-law]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Situational awareness and your command presence

Can you comment further? Does your armed appearance also position you as being more in command of your situation than you would otherwise?

My wife enjoys walking on a 13 mile public trail that winds along a creek in our area. Much of the trail is located in areas that are isolated and away from roads and other access. My question really focuses on whether or not there would be any benefit in open carry in such remote areas where it could literally take a half-hour or more for a LEO to reach you. I should also add the trail is located in what some might call a buffer area between high and lower crime areas of suburban Houston.

Just throwing the question out there for good discussion on the pros and cons.

Spring, Texas

#6204304 - 02/29/16 05:07 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I think one advantage of open carry would be quicker access to the weapon should the need arise.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6204321 - 02/29/16 05:22 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: phantom]
nyalubwe Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: phantom
I think it is a good idea to carry however I like to keep it at least somewhat concealed. I dont want people to know I have it until I need them to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Surprises are like gifts. Its better to give than to receive.....

#6204336 - 02/29/16 05:30 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Colt W. Knight]
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I grew up in WV and spent the last three years in Arizona where open carry is completely legal, and very common. No issues at all with open carry, even though tacticool community likes to paint them as targets. Contrary to what some folks think, criminals do not prefer armed victims.

I think you got this backwards. It's the LOOK AT ME, tacticool crowd that wants to show off their piece. I could care less what the next guy does and support the right to Carry. I am far from the tacticool crowd and will keep mine covered.

And Yes, I do believe in some situations, you can paint yourself as a target. And as the other side of the argument, maybe it could prevent something. I don't intend to find out.

I was taught situational awareness and command presence at a fairly early age on the job. No need to show your cards. Carrying yourself like you are in control of situations will go along ways.

Also, why put yourself in a predicament of walking in an area that you deem sketchy? Why not pick somewhere you think may be safer? Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

Edited by Elpatoloco (02/29/16 05:45 PM)

#6204357 - 02/29/16 05:44 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
tehachapi Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Harris County
No predator is going to see a woman carrying a firearm and be MORE inclined to make an attack.

#6204360 - 02/29/16 05:46 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: tehachapi]
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: tehachapi
No predator is going to see a woman carrying a firearm and be MORE inclined to make an attack.

Unless you are in the local stop and shop and the crazed lunitac is already of mind to do everybody he sees grave harm. Then you are target numero UNO.

#6204387 - 02/29/16 06:05 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco]
nyalubwe Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

I think you got this backwards. It's the LOOK AT ME, tacticool crowd that wants to show off their piece. I could care less what the next guy does and support the right to Carry. I am far from the tacticool crowd and will keep mine covered.

And Yes, I do believe in some situations, you can paint yourself as a target. And as the other side of the argument, maybe it could prevent something. I don't intend to find out.

I was taught situational awareness and command presence at a fairly early age on the job. No need to show your cards. Carrying yourself like you are in control of situations will go along ways.

Also, why put yourself in a predicament of walking in an area that you deem sketchy? Why not pick somewhere you think may be safer? Sometimes, if a person goes out looking for trouble, they find it.

Good post. Really good.

#6204406 - 02/29/16 06:21 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
Marc in Bastrop Offline
Tracker

Loc: Bastrop County
Tough choice. Do both at the same time. One open, the other concealed.

Edited by Marc Kurth (02/29/16 06:22 PM)

#6204494 - 02/29/16 07:16 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Elpatoloco]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

Tell us how much less you could care.

#6204520 - 02/29/16 07:28 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: Texas Dan]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
First avoid isolated areas.

But if that's all you got, I like a fanny pack in front or one of the Maxpedition over the shoulder bags, either way, since you're walking have it unzipped.

The main key is don't look longingly into each others eyes but always be aware of people around you. If someone approaches , slip your hand in your bag, grip your gun till it returns to condition green.

you don't want anyone "surprising" you.

if you open carry and look like you know what to do with it, someone would be really whacked out to F with you.

very isolated area?? 14.5" AR, slung in front. texas

#6204638 - 02/29/16 08:30 PM Re: Open Carry Opinion Question [Re: tenyearsgone]
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

Tell us how much less you could care.

I just did. Do what you like. Its legal. It's not for me. More power to you. Simple enough?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide