Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,041
Posts9,719,725
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion #6200983 02/27/16 03:14 AM
F
flounder Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Friday, February 26, 2016

TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2016/02/texas-hartley-county-mule-deer-tests.html

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201432 02/27/16 04:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
More evidence it's a natural occurring disease.

That tosses out the breeder hate. You have already suggested we wipe out all of our animals....

The more you post the more everyone realizes we have been living with CWD all of our lives, there for the historical evidence supports it cant be transferred to humans.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201537 02/27/16 06:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
scratch Ever wonder why that just about every state that borders Oklahoma has found CWD, yet Oklahoma has not found it yet? nidea They are not testing or looking for it. I guess they are not concerned about it. The states that are looking for it will find it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: stxranchman] #6201588 02/27/16 07:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
scratch Ever wonder why that just about every state that borders Oklahoma has found CWD, yet Oklahoma has not found it yet? nidea They are not testing or looking for it. I guess they are not concerned about it. The states that are looking for it will find it.

cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6201652 02/27/16 09:13 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
More evidence it's a natural occurring disease.

That tosses out the breeder hate. You have already suggested we wipe out all of our animals....

The more you post the more everyone realizes we have been living with CWD all of our lives, there for the historical evidence supports it cant be transferred to humans.

cheers

up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201679 02/27/16 09:48 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Oklahoma has had a CWD testing program since 2006.
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/cwd.htm

Testing was done at least as far back as 1998. A captive Elk herd was tested positive and destroyed in Oklahoma county.
http://www.federalgrants.com/Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Surveillance-in-Oklahoma-47559.html

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: Sniper John] #6201723 02/27/16 10:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Oklahoma has had a CWD testing program since 2006.
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/cwd.htm

Testing was done at least as far back as 1998. A captive Elk herd was tested positive and destroyed in Oklahoma county.
http://www.federalgrants.com/Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Surveillance-in-Oklahoma-47559.html

That's highly pointed toward almost exclusively for breeders not heavily state wide like TX implemented this year. The vast majority of those tests where close to the HF elk herd. We tested more in one year they have since 2006, in otherwords they aren't looking for it

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: stxranchman] #6201767 02/27/16 11:15 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

It's Oklahoma...they're still trying to spell CWD. grin

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: rifleman] #6201778 02/27/16 11:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Says the guy born east of 45... smile

Think it's three fold a)they know EHD kills way more deer b) they aren't going to spend the money ( don't have it to spend )hence why the testing is either private or federal funded), and they don't want the negative publicity.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6201788 02/27/16 11:36 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Says the guy born east of 45...

Think it's three fold a)they know EHD kills way more deer b) they aren't going to spend the money ( don't have it to spend )hence why the testing is either private or federal funded), and they don't want the negative publicity.

So, what you're saying is, Okies are smarter than texans. I resent that. Please report this to the mods.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201810 02/27/16 11:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol, different managers and less funded. They are really trying to become a NR hot spot.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201820 02/27/16 11:59 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Though testing of hunter harvested deer was done as far back as 2002 when 400 deer were tested, the current monitoring program that is funded from license sales started in 2006. 1626 hunter harvested deer in 2006 and a total to present with the last published total more than 7088. "a CWD monitoring program is in place thanks to funds provided through hunter’s licenses." Fortunatly no hunter harvested deer have tested positive.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: Sniper John] #6201842 02/28/16 12:15 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Though testing of hunter harvested deer was done as far back as 2002 when 400 deer were tested, the current monitoring program that is funded from license sales started in 2006. 1626 hunter harvested deer in 2006 and a total to present with the last published total more than 7088. "a CWD monitoring program is in place thanks to funds provided through hunter’s licenses." Fortunatly no hunter harvested deer have tested positive.

Texas tested 10,000 just this year. Oklahoma 7k in 10 years.

How many elk and deer did Okla test in Cimmeron Country(which is the closest to a know CWD hot spot)?

They aren't looking for it. 7k deer in 10 years is <1 deer, per county a year average

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6201871 02/28/16 12:38 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

How many elk and deer did Okla test in Cimmeron Country(which is the closest to a know CWD hot spot)?

They aren't looking for it. 7k deer in 10 years is <1 deer, per county a year average.

More evidence they're smarter than we are. Only a fool would try to find CWD in their state. What with the flounders of the world convincing people the sky is falling and all.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201924 02/28/16 01:34 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Yes and no Rancher. A state that has been looking for it is Kansas they have done 24k tests in 10 years. Ironically they keep finding one offs in isolated counties(100's of miles from hotspots).

They had had some positive hits in odd ball places in central western KS.

The more people test the more we are going to find we have been living with it all along, and the less sensational CWD will be for news lines and political points.

I think Oklahoma really doesn't want to know is second and number one is they don't think they want to pay and have Peter rob Paul and can't throw money at it. Current program is appeasement nothing more nothing less.
Hindsight your right though, as I re-read this it sounds brilliant on their part.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6201945 02/28/16 01:54 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe

They aren't looking for it. 7k deer in 10 years is <1 deer, per county a year average

I was only showing that the State in fact has a wild deer testing program, not that they are doing more than texas. I was told about the monitoring program ftf during a conversation with an OK game warden following a goose hunt up there. Your comparing an apple and an orange with the numbers comparing Texas numbers against the number of OK hunter harvested and wma deer. Oklahoma had a harvest of 97265 in 2014. The closest figure I can find to 2014 for Texas was 691,365. Google the land surface of Texas it is 268,820, Oklahoma 69,960. Texas has a very long season as well. Oklahoma's Deer season is 9 days long. The two methods for those numbers are going to be different because oklahoma uses mandatory check stations and Texas uses surveys, but with Texas showing a harvest more than 500,000 deer than oklahoma it is still going to be much greater even with errors. So naturally the number of hunter harvested deer in texas that are tested are going to be higher than OK with both states testing. The Texas tested number you have may include privately held deer too. I don't believe that is included in the Oklahoma figures I gave from their publicly funded monitoring program. But yes, they are not looking for it. They are simply "monitoring" the wild deer herd. Different mindset up there in Oklahoma as you know. A lot less commercial than Texas. It is an "appeasement" as you say and perhaps job security for some.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201958 02/28/16 02:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I see what your saying. I remember when the HF Elk Herd hit positive and they freaked out then slowly simmered down. When they went to online check stations it went even slower. Okla has a 9 day modern gun season but a 3 month deer season. Now KS has been looking for CWD with over 24k tests,

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6201970 02/28/16 02:14 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
If Oklahoma ever gets a CWD hit on even just one of those hunter harvested or wma deer, I would not be surprised if the OK wildlife department totally freaked out and ramps up the testing too.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: Sniper John] #6201987 02/28/16 02:25 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
If Oklahoma ever gets a CWD hit on even just one of those hunter harvested or wma deer, I would not be surprised if the OK wildlife department totally freaked out and ramps up the testing too.

Maybe, I think with KS having so many hits and now Texas having a random hit in the panhandle, I think they just might sit back unless public pressure hits them. Start connecting dots between western KS and Texas and it ain't pretty. It's there with out a doubt

One thing about Okla. they don't get in any hurry to upgrade anything. Their website drives me insane. It only took them 7 years after the online draw for controlled hunts to set one up for land owner tags.

I wonder how many elk they tested in the Witicha.. That would be first place I'd think they hit hard if they start getting hard core. But then again theirs a lot of revenue in that draw hunt.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6203972 02/29/16 07:06 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I know they used to take samples from Wichita Mnts hunt killed Elk for testing CWD. But they were monitoring for more than just CWD. I would think they still test them. Being a Federal cooperative thing I would not be surprised if all Elk killed there are tested.

Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6209487 03/04/16 03:45 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
This one may have been poached?

Quote:
By ROBERT STEIN

robert.stein@amarillo.com

Texas wildlife and animal health experts are investigating a mule deer found in Hartley County that tested positive for chronic wasting disease last week.

The discovery of the infected animal marks the first time the disease has been found in the Texas Panhandle, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said.

The wildlife department and the Texas Animal Health Commission are leading the investigation. Right now, it’s unclear where the deer came from or if the deer might have become infected in the area.

Law enforcement agencies are looking into the circumstances surrounding the hunting of the infected deer, which may have been poached. However, investigators are fairly certain the deer was harvested in Hartley County.

“We’re still gathering information about the situation, the surroundings. No charges have been filed,” Lightfoot said. “Right now we’re focused on developing a management strategy to monitor the disease in the area.”
http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2016-03-03/wasting-disease-case-prompts-investigation

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6212086 03/06/16 11:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
This one may have been poached?

Quote:
By ROBERT STEIN

robert.stein@amarillo.com

Texas wildlife and animal health experts are investigating a mule deer found in Hartley County that tested positive for chronic wasting disease last week.

The discovery of the infected animal marks the first time the disease has been found in the Texas Panhandle, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said.

The wildlife department and the Texas Animal Health Commission are leading the investigation. Right now, it’s unclear where the deer came from or if the deer might have become infected in the area.

Law enforcement agencies are looking into the circumstances surrounding the hunting of the infected deer, which may have been poached. However, investigators are fairly certain the deer was harvested in Hartley County.

“We’re still gathering information about the situation, the surroundings. No charges have been filed,” Lightfoot said. “Right now we’re focused on developing a management strategy to monitor the disease in the area.”
http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2016-03-03/wasting-disease-case-prompts-investigation

Wow. So, if this deer was poached we may never know exactly where it came from. Which means an over zealous state agency could come in and destroy a herd in the completely wrong area. Snafu.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: TEXAS Hartley County Mule Deer Tests Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease CWD TSE Prion [Re: flounder] #6215341 03/09/16 03:47 AM
F
flounder Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Oklahoma Chronic Wasting Disease CWD of Deer and Elk Surveillance, Testing, and Preparedness

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2016/03/oklahoma-chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-of.html

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide