Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: kdkane1971] #6194835 02/22/16 10:56 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
There's lots of people who say they just breast out a turkey and get rid of the rest. Is that going to warrant a ticket? They killed it, they tagged it, they took the parts they considered edible. The rest gets eaten by coyotes and vultures.

Same thing with a dove - it gets breasted and the rest discarded - is that a crime?

That's where "reasonable" comes in to play. There is no comparison between the leg, thighs, etc. of a dove and a turkey. I don't know if most GW's would write the ticket in either case, but it would be a lot more warranted for a turkey over a dove.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6194918 02/23/16 12:19 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BenBob
So, a hunter can shoot an Axis and leave it laying in the field, but has to make the best use of a javelina that he has shot? That makes no sense at all.

Axis aren't native.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6194972 02/23/16 12:54 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BenBob
So, a hunter can shoot an Axis and leave it laying in the field, but has to make the best use of a javelina that he has shot? That makes no sense at all.

I can see how it doesn't make much sense, but we need to be careful what we wish for. If they apply this statute to Axis and other non-game animals, I would think they also apply other statutes to them like bag limits and seasons.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6195106 02/23/16 02:13 AM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
and that's why TPWD is culling axis at Garner Park...

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6195160 02/23/16 02:41 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Id really rather not see them leave... dont really care much about axis and all the exotic hunting... sure if i see one ill shoot it and it will be a cool experience with no meat wasted but we all know they are still here just because they help the feed bill or make money for most places... If i got aholt of a large place that was full of exotics the first thing i would do is take a spotlight and shoot every single one i saw... Id like the ranch/property to be seen as what it was intended to be as far as wildlife is concerned... nothing much to cleaning a javi... meats very edible too

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: blackcoal] #6195232 02/23/16 03:40 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
So members who have admitted they have shot javi's but would never eat them have just told the Warden to come and write them up ??? Sounds like some fellows need to edit their old posts??
juggle

One of the most violated laws on the books! I've killed one javelina. Smelled like a cross between someone with horribly bad body odor and a unkept horse! Brined all the meat and made some semi palatable summer sausage. I'll never shoot another one, unless I'm starving to death!

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6195497 02/23/16 02:11 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Anyone who shoots an Axis and leaves it should be charged. Darn fine table fare.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: Dry Fire] #6195771 02/23/16 04:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Anyone who shoots an Axis and leaves it should be charged. Darn fine table fare.

Then your saying anyone who shoots a pig and let lay should be fined

Last edited by Navasot; 02/23/16 04:47 PM.
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: Navasot] #6195802 02/23/16 05:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire

Then your saying anyone who shoots a pig and let lay should be fined

x2

Lots of folks cant get past the odor of javi, but I have shot and cleaned several and never had any complaints. Made sausage with them, bacon wraped the top round and smoked it and it was great, made carne guisada out of it and it was great as well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6200355 02/26/16 06:14 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you get a ticket that does not mean you are guilty, only accused. You can always get a jury trial. Right?

To be determined
Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6200674 02/26/16 10:58 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Here's adding my two cents for what it's worth. I read on here where hunters shoot hog's and leave them to rot and feed the coyotes they grip about being there, waste of meat and a food source to a problem for deer. Shoot an Aoudad, and say it taste bad, maybe it does to some and don't to others, but either way, someone would eat it and be glad for a full belly. Whether or not it's listed as a native game animal or not by the TPWD, why pull the trigger if you don't or won't eat it. Pig's, goat's, deer, or birds can be a pain in the neck to clean sometimes but we sure spend an offal lot of money to hunt them. Pheasant are not native bird,s but cost a pretty penny to hunt, why not list them like pig's and such as an open season and no limit. We hunt a lot of animals that are not on TPWD list of season's but no one throws away an Axis steak or complains that they ate the corn put out for deer. This doesn't answer the question of how or who list an animal for a hunting season, and my apologies for the rant, but why waste a bullet on an animal if you are going to throw it away?

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6201129 02/27/16 07:46 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We have gotten rid of 28 hogs in less than a year on our place and they don't stop. I ain't going to eat 28 animals. 15 went overseas from a trap and 13 shot with a few processed but yotes have to eat too. Sorry but I ain't eating a 275 lb boar that yotes will eat in 2 days. A $2 bullet is not much. I will take the back hams and back strap from any 100 lb or less hog but the rest are fed to our furry friends. We didn't have this problem 10 years ago.

Some you need read the TPWD annual. If you shoot a deer, all you need is the quarters and back strap. Dove, just the breast. Turkey, just the breast unless you want to consider the legs edible which I and 99% of others don't. Quail the legs are good. Where are y'all coming up with this stuff if you have hunted??

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: kphilli66] #6201144 02/27/16 09:51 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: kphilli66
Here's adding my two cents for what it's worth. I read on here where hunters shoot hog's and leave them to rot and feed the coyotes they grip about being there, waste of meat and a food source to a problem for deer. Shoot an Aoudad, and say it taste bad, maybe it does to some and don't to others, but either way, someone would eat it and be glad for a full belly. Whether or not it's listed as a native game animal or not by the TPWD, why pull the trigger if you don't or won't eat it. Pig's, goat's, deer, or birds can be a pain in the neck to clean sometimes but we sure spend an offal lot of money to hunt them. Pheasant are not native bird,s but cost a pretty penny to hunt, why not list them like pig's and such as an open season and no limit. We hunt a lot of animals that are not on TPWD list of season's but no one throws away an Axis steak or complains that they ate the corn put out for deer. This doesn't answer the question of how or who list an animal for a hunting season, and my apologies for the rant, but why waste a bullet on an animal if you are going to throw it away?

Because some of us do eradication work, your job is to kill as many pigs in one night as you can. That's what you're being paid to do and you better be doing it. If you wanna pull some meat great but you better be quick and have your crap together. There are A LOT of folks out there that say "when you shoot some more pigs just call me", but they tend to want their pork cleaned/packaged/ready for the freezer. Very few answer the phone when you actually call them late at night. Hunting on your own place and donating meat vs doing eradication work on a farmer's property are two different things.

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: Navasot] #6201147 02/27/16 10:57 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id really rather not see them leave... dont really care much about axis and all the exotic hunting... sure if i see one ill shoot it and it will be a cool experience with no meat wasted but we all know they are still here just because they help the feed bill or make money for most places... If i got aholt of a large place that was full of exotics the first thing i would do is take a spotlight and shoot every single one i saw... Id like the ranch/property to be seen as what it was intended to be as far as wildlife is concerned... nothing much to cleaning a javi... meats very edible too

+1

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Waste of Game Determination? [Re: BenBob] #6201804 02/27/16 11:50 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I bet a small part of the determination is influenced by the hunter's attitude.

Don't be an @$$. It may help.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide