Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476322 Topics
6248433 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6192175 - 02/20/16 02:47 PM Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!!
Pig_Popper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
At deer camp my lease buddy keeps old mags on hand in the camp library , my how nice it was to read through an entire magazine without any mention of an AR15.

Don't get me wrong I understand the rifles historic value in protecting the country's freedom and I have a boatload of ARs but it was nostalgic to browse through a mag without an AR on every other page.

Balance is one of the sweet things in life - I wonder when the last Guns & Ammo mag was published that didn't cover an AR.......

Edited by Pig_Popper (02/21/16 01:19 AM)

#6192179 - 02/20/16 02:53 PM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
At deer camp my lease buddy keeps old mags on hand in the camp library , my hoe nice it was to read through an entire magazine without any mention of an AR15.

Don't get me wrong I understand the rifles historic value in protecting the country's freedom and I have a boatload of ARs but it was nostalgic to browse through a mag without an AR on every other page.

Balance is one of the sweet things in life - I wonder when the last Guns & Ammo mag was published that didn't cover an AR.......

There is a big difference between cheap plastic and high grade wood. up

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#6192674 - 02/20/16 10:41 PM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
jbd76266 Online   content

Loc: Sanger, TX
That' pretty much why I stopped getting guns and ammo. Every month was the same thing.

#6192719 - 02/20/16 11:19 PM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
Clinton ban was still in affect in 01.

Was there any good mall ninja stuff in that magazine?

#6192762 - 02/21/16 12:45 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
It is refreshing to read some of the older gun rags for that reason, and some of the writers of times gone by

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6192768 - 02/21/16 01:10 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

I'm probably younger than you and I'm kind of burned out on all the tacti-cool stuff we're bombarded with. I appreciate a precision weapon like most and have a few AR's, but don't really care about the latest whiz bang gadget that'll help me be an operator operating operationally.

#6192803 - 02/21/16 05:43 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
Inertia seems to be the issue here. Most of the gun rags still haven't gotten the memo about the AR bubble popping, and long-range shooting only being relevant to the tiny minority who actually have access to that kind of shooting facility.

The advertisers who call the shots for gun rag content are understandably loathe to give up on the ridiculous mark-up and resulting high profits they have been able to gobble up from the 'tactical' market, but the writing has been on the wall for some time now.

They're understandably wanting to see how far inertia will carry them now that the heyday of "tacticool" profits is in the rear-view mirror, fading fast.

Some of the gun rags will become so fixated upon looking backward that they will fail, go out of business along with the dozens of AR-related manufacturers and faux-sniper custom rifle makers. The survivors that will weather the storm by looking forward should be easy enough to identify. - They'll be the first ones to drop the AR and long range shooting hysteria, focusing instead upon the sporting arms and self-defense weapons that will be dominating the market for the long run.

There are many who will regret seeing the tactical stuff take a back seat, but many more of us will be glad to see the return of the gun writer, gun culture, and the hunting story. The gun rags that survive should be a big step up from what we are seeing today.

It will be good for the Texas Hunting Forum too, when the primary focus returns to hunting in Texas.

#6192856 - 02/21/16 07:29 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
The AR deal has gotten out of hand.

#6192886 - 02/21/16 08:04 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
This'll sound funny to some folks here on THF who've gotten tired of my old school focus on re selling the lost arts of Still Hunting and Off Hand or African styled game shooting, by getting out of the box blind overlooking a timed deer feeder. I'd be lots more impressed with seeing folks hone their HUNTING Skills, and prove it with a hand held camera than ripping off a full magazine outta an AR something. And FWIW I'd really like to see Silhouette Shooting get some attention and be offered at Gun Ranges to emphasize the Hunting & Offhand Shooting skills.

While I agree with almost everything CharlesB had to say, in watching the various conversations of the LR crowd as it relates to 'yotes and hogs particularly, I can fully appreciate the skill sets and dedication it takes to successfully compete at busting steel and other targets at past the traditional deer hunting ranges I grew up with. And YES it is difficult to find places to shoot past 100 yards, much less past 600 yards

The phrase "Tacticool" and seeing the "T Cool Sly Stallone styled get ups" remind me of the Hollywood Cowboy moniker given to aspiring movie actors who hung at the drug store down the street from Warner Bro's with all the other film wannabe's.

If you want to really BE tacticool, go raise your hand while taking the Oath of Office to Protect and Serve against all enemy's foriegn and domestic, and take that step forward at the recruiting office...and the fine folks in uniform will Teach you how to earn the right to BE tacticool I feel certain.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (02/21/16 08:34 AM)
Edit Reason: added a not so fresh thought

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#6192939 - 02/21/16 08:42 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
An AR is just not the best hunting gun - period. It was not designed to be and cannot be made to be. I'm all for folks having fun and playing with them and enjoying them. That's cool. I have one myself and it's a hoot to shoot.

But it's obvious the KoolAid has been drunk when so many come on here touting ARs whenever a hunting rifle recommendation is sought. They are fun to have when you get into a sounder of hogs - but that's about it. For every other hunting application another choice is better.

I especially cringe when I see kids being forced to deal with a clunky AR pushed upon them to hunt with.

#6192955 - 02/21/16 08:49 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
JD4030 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Lewisville, (N. Tex.)
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
An AR is just not the best hunting gun - period. It was not designed to be and cannot be made to be. I'm all for folks having fun and playing with them and enjoying them. That's cool. I have one myself and it's a hoot to shoot.

But it's obvious the KoolAid has been drunk when so many come on here touting ARs whenever a hunting rifle recommendation is sought. They are fun to have when you get into a sounder of hogs - but that's about it. For every other hunting application another choice is better.

I especially cringe when I see kids being forced to deal with a clunky AR pushed upon them to hunt with.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

#6193029 - 02/21/16 10:06 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX

I'm a bigger fan of bolt actions but those statements are simply your opinion and not to be misconstrued into pure fact.

I agree they are the best hot sounder gun. But they are just fine for stalking and killing deer and coyotes. They were designed to hunt men, lest ye forget. Go back in history and see all the battle rifles that made fine hunting rifles. 1903, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14, and now the rifle in question. If they didn't work, people wouldn't use them. Name me one more complete rifle that the average guy can order 95% of the parts, have them delivered in the brown truck, and assemble them in his garage with less than $100 invested in special tools. The Savage rifle is close, but I've got my own issues with it.

Trust upon a kid? I personally won't put an AR in the hands of my kids until they are in their late teens, they will master the bolt action first. But I can understand why so many guys hand ARe to their kids simply due to the adjustable length of pull on the stock.

The AR is not usually to my acceptable level of accuracy, but I am spoiled to custom barreled bolt actions that shoot tiny. But let's compare former acceptable level of accuracy 30 years ago working backward in history. Many, many hunters were satisfied with the ability to put three rounds in a pie plate at 100 or 200 yards. Today's ARe will shoot well smaller than that as a general rule. My LR 308 ended up putting five rounds inside 2 3/4" at 300 yards, and it is a mass produced rifle, not a custom.

Which leads me to the next reply. Those of you old grumpies complaining about the way things are going today are also forgetting how performance has drastically improved in rifles, ammo, loading components, and scopes. The average Joe now has the technology available to him to put together a scoped rifle, make a hand load for it, and shoot very small, very far out. Our general acceptable level of accuracy, as hunters, has drastically shrank. Thank God for smart men that aspire to improve products. And other men that figure out how to use them to those products' full potential.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6193030 - 02/21/16 10:06 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene

But it's so super modular and can be built to do anything and it's the best for everything and I want to look like a terrorist ninja while I hunt deer in my heated box blind and if you don't believe me you're wrong.

#6193064 - 02/21/16 10:59 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: FiremanJG]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Which leads me to the next reply. Those of you old grumpies complaining about the way things are going today are also forgetting how performance has drastically improved in rifles, ammo, loading components, and scopes.

The improvements in equipment are real, no argument there...but they translate into traditional "old-school" stuff, too. You don't have to hunt with a long range rig like you have and use to benefit from the technological advances. I can have a rifle built using quality components that will be just as accurate as your stuff but still look like and carry like a conventional sporter with a classic stock. Actually shooting it and matching the long range hits on steel you can do with your style of rifle would be a real challenge due to ergonomics and rifle weight, but that's not on the radar for me and I don't care. We use rifles that suit our uses for them.

The long range thing is a very limited activity and not necessarily "the way things are going today." It's interesting to many but relatively few participate. FFP scopes with mil-dot reticles, tactical style stocks, and bigass bolt knobs have their place but there are still a LOT of guys out here who learned how to use a pencil to do math and believe that bullets should retain weight, penetrate straight, and exit.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6193066 - 02/21/16 10:59 AM Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: dogcatcher]
DH3 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Katy
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
At deer camp my lease buddy keeps old mags on hand in the camp library , my hoe nice it was to read through an entire magazine without any mention of an AR15.

There is a big difference between cheap plastic and high grade wood. up

90% of gun show tables have black plastic crap. Only a few have real blue/walnut firearms. It's a shame that the spray and pray crowd provides the example for the next generation of hunters. rolleyes

Edited by DH3 (02/21/16 11:00 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide