Forums46
Topics537,820
Posts9,729,527
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6193883 02/22/16 04:28 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
it is a fun excuse to get out and hunt something. It can be a challenge at times. At others it can be super easy.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6194617 02/22/16 07:11 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Even if u find em doesnt mean u will kill one. One thing i have learned over the last 30 yrs of hunting turkey is just when u think u have it figured out one will thro u a curve and make u feel dumb! But thats why it is THE game bird for me.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: Elpatoloco] #6195273 02/23/16 04:17 AM
L
LAstrutter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L

Rios are the absolute dumbest bird on the planet. Drive around before daylight honking your pickup horn. The gobblers will gobble at it, letting you know exactly where they roost. Set up a couple of hundred yards away and go to calling when legal rolls around. Done deal. No offense, just sayin, with all due respect. [/quote]

I wouldn't call them the dumbest bird on the planet. They are normally easier to kill than easterns, but can be a challenge when they are with hens or pressured. Any pressured turkey, whatever the species, can be tough to hunt. I've killed lots of Easterns and Rios, and I will admit the Rios have all around been easier to hunt, but I have hunted my fair share of henned up and pressured Rios that have sent me back to the truck empty handed.

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6195731 02/23/16 04:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Turkeys are pretty dumb birds.

They might be fun to call but I'd almost pay to have hunters come kill them

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: txtrophy85] #6195829 02/23/16 05:24 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

How much? roflmao

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: txtrophy85] #6196331 02/24/16 12:05 AM
L
LAstrutter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L

Does this mean I can come to your place and get rid of some of those dumb birds for you at no cost?

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: Western] #6196428 02/24/16 01:10 AM
Deep Sea Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Western

How much? roflmao
Right! I'll be there!!

Scott Eastty
AW Scott Construction Company
Bastrop, TX
512-845-0187
For all your metal building needs, state wide.
www.acscott.com
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6196440 02/24/16 01:19 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Thf road trip. 1000 people show up then complain at the lack of birds/service/other idiot hunters

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6196793 02/24/16 11:14 AM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Hello OP, and welcome to turkey hunting. Prepare to miss Easter and the rest of april for the rest of your life! It will only take one big longbeard to come screaming at your call and you will be hooked.
I have hunted these yelling chickens for 17 years professionally and would be happy to break down the pricing for you.
First and foremost there are nowhere near the turkey numbers that there are whitetail deer! In fact it is very hard to find a sizeable amount of birds to withstand large groups to hunt mature birds. ( this statement pertains to mostly north texas)

1. landowners fees- Yes we are the outfitter and guide but we pay landowners on average $150-200 per bird. On the other hand landowners have to pay for the land!

2. Time spent for land management and scouting. As a guide if I'm not hunting I'm scouting. We have clients come in for 1 day hunts so there's no time to waste finding turkeys. You have to dang near know every bird by name where his strut zones are and what time he will be there. Chalk that up to atleast 6 hours a day.
Land management is time spent improving the habitat for the turkeys, Keeping feeders full or running a tractor for days like I did a few weeks ago shredding 160 acres to ankle high grass (cause turkeys don't like tall grass) = $400 for 2 day trip to seguin plus tractor rental.
Game cam operations batteries and time to set and check them to help find the big boys and where they are.

3. The guide has to make a little money. If a hunt is $1100 for a 2 day 2 bird hunt landowner get's $400 (for the 2 birds) outfitter and guide split the rest so a guide is doing good to walk out with $300 pre tip. Well if you break that down a little more a guide scouts the night before hunters come in so the birds are roosted and ready. Then he get's up at 430-5am meet's the hunters. Heads to the field hunt's solid till about 3pm. Leaves hunters or takes hunters to go scout till dark to roost birds for the next mornings hunt. Day wraps up around 7-8pm after cleaning the turkeys/hogs. Heads back to the $40 a night hotel eats his second $10 meal of the day then get's to bed by 9-10 after winding down just to be back up at 5am. So to find out a guides hourly pay take the $300 and subtract $80 for friday and saturdays hotels, $50 for food, $65 for gas all weekend. = $105 Divide that by the 30+ hours a guide will be out working that 2.5 days and you get $3.50 per hour plus tip. $7hr if he is guiding 2 on 1 which is what we aim for.

4. The outfitter has to make money. He spends countless hours making phone calls, running schedules, going to look at land, booking hunts, advertising, and making sure everyone is where the need to be. Dealing with landowners, clients, and guides. Buys $15k utvs so the hunters can ride around nicely when the are on the property. Pays for the feeders, blinds, game cams, corn, lease prices and all other gear to make the hunt successful. Gotta sell a whole bunch of hunt's just to pay for 1 utv let alone make money.

After all that we still try to keep our hunts affordable and that is why we offer 1 bird 1 day for $550 or 2 birds 2 days $1100 with unlimited hogs and varmints.
If those prices sound high for someone else to do all the work you will soon find out the joys of public land or finding land of your own and realize that $500 is cheap!!!!!
Welcome to turkey hunting my friend.
Good luck this season.
Edit---- Not to mention for new hunters I am casting down 26 years of turkey hunting knowledge, calling, setups, scouting, etc. Your hunts are filmed and photographed, and your birds are cleaned while you kick back and relax.

Last edited by KeithTT; 02/24/16 11:19 AM.

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6204142 02/29/16 09:13 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: AmerMirza
Guys,

Just out of curiousity: Why is the Turkey Hunt WAY MORE expensive than WT Doe Hunt? People are charging anywhere from $400-800 a day for 1 turkey. Whereas, WT Doe hunt was $175-250 on average plus some hunters offering addtl WT doe for $100. I can buy a full turkey for $100 from a store. Hmmmm......

I have and can still hunt and kill Eastern and Rio turkeys within 2 hour drive of Dallas on public land. There not that hard to hunt/kill and equipment in minimum. Its just the effort you need to commit too. Go for it.

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: Elpatoloco] #6204861 03/01/16 05:45 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco
Originally Posted By: Caliche Kid
That said, I do like turkey, but butterballs are cheap and very tasty. The hunt is all about foxing out a very smart and savy prey. They are beautiful animals. I hand feed several dozen toms every morning, within a few feet of me and many more hens. These are wild Rio Grandes and it's harder every year to hunt them. But I know their destiny is for the table and accept that. Good luck on your hunt, you will love it. It's priceless.

Rios are the absolute dumbest bird on the planet. Drive around before daylight honking your pickup horn. The gobblers will gobble at it, letting you know exactly where they roost. Set up a couple of hundred yards away and go to calling when legal rolls around. Done deal. No offense, just sayin, with all due respect.

That's pretty funny.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6216804 03/10/16 12:37 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
we have way way to many turkeys, i was wondering if TPWD would be interested in capturing and relocating them. any ideas, any body ever asked them to do something like this

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: vanguard] #6216831 03/10/16 12:54 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: vanguard
we have way way to many turkeys, i was wondering if TPWD would be interested in capturing and relocating them. any ideas, any body ever asked them to do something like this

It can be done. You have to get the permits to do it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6216853 03/10/16 01:04 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
yes they relocate turkey - they also follow them with GPS after relocation to see where they travel and roost -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: stxranchman] #6216864 03/10/16 01:09 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

i did some reading on this its like 750.00 for the permit and all kinds of stipulations and i have to catch them. screw that i was wondering if they would be interested in doing it, i dont want to pay for nothing, its seems it would be in their interest to have them, guess not. hell maybe ill just do some paid hunts on the place and get paid to get rid of them

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: vanguard] #6216878 03/10/16 01:14 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

i did some reading on this its like 750.00 for the permit and all kinds of stipulations and i have to catch them. screw that i was wondering if they would be interested in doing it, i dont want to pay for nothing, its seems it would be in their interest to have them, guess not. hell maybe ill just do some paid hunts on the place and get paid to get rid of them

Not sure about permit costs, but I know it takes a while to get the paperwork done. You need to have excess birds to remove for the acreage/habitat at the trap site and the release sites need to have habitat to support the numbers released. It took us a year to get a permit to trap and have the birds moved to the ranch I was on. We paid a trapper to catch 100 birds and move them to the ranch. Total cost we paid him was around $4500 for his time, catching and moving 100 birds. That was 23 yrs ago costs. IIRC there were only 2 trappers doing it at the time. If you want birds removed and someone wants them then let the ones wanting them pay for all the permits, catching and moving.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: stxranchman] #6216910 03/10/16 01:32 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Not sure about permit costs, but I know it takes a while to get the paperwork done. You need to have excess birds to remove for the acreage/habitat at the trap site and the release sites need to have habitat to support the numbers released. It took us a year to get a permit to trap and have the birds moved to the ranch I was on. We paid a trapper to catch 100 birds and move them to the ranch. Total cost we paid him was around $4500 for his time, catching and moving 100 birds. That was 23 yrs ago costs. IIRC there were only 2 trappers doing it at the time. If you want birds removed and someone wants them then let the ones wanting them pay for all the permits, catching and moving.

I heard a Parks and Wildlife guy on radio this past weekend say it runs around $500 per bird to relocate so you are on the money

You can't fix stupid
Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: txtrophy85] #6230909 03/21/16 10:12 AM
M
mountman62 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
txtrophy85, I would be willing to come kill a few of them for you, you wouldn't even have to pay me, I'm always open for an adventure during turkey season

Re: Just curious: Why is Turkey hunt more expensive ? [Re: AmerMirza] #6232575 03/22/16 03:51 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Turkey hunts are expensive simply because people are dumb enough to pay that much for them. If nobody paid the asking prices then the prices would come down. As long as there is a demand and people will cough up the $$$ this is the way it will be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide