Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,502
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192569 02/21/16 03:00 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The GW had a stern talking with me this year about this very topic. I was driving back from lease and the taxidermist was on the way so I swung in and dropped off the head and cape, which contained my tag taped to the antlers. Then proceeded on to my processor, where I met the GW. Learned a big lesson that day and was cut a break, thankfully. He stated it doesn't matter which way I drop off the meat, but the tag stays with the meat, no if and or buts about it. Met the same GW 2 weeks later at the same processor, dropped off the meat and left the tag with them, asked the GW of i had everything done correctly and he said yes, took the head to taxidermist and had no problem dropping it off without any paperwork

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: LuckyHunter] #6192596 02/21/16 03:19 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: BigPig
The hunter paid $10,000 to hunt. He harvested a deer on land he legally had a right to hunt. He had the deer he harvested mounted. I'll assume by a taxidermist who checked the tag. I don't believe it is illegal for an out of state hunter to harvest a deer and take it home in a cooler. If he had a license.... I'll assume he did since he hunted there for 10 years. Maybe not. confused2Just not sure why a person would be on a lease for 10 years at 10K and not own a license.
As far as check-in the article reads as though it is a "ranch rule" not a state rule. So I can see he violated a ranch rule or ranch contract. Not sure the State gets involved with enforcing lease contracts as long as the follow state laws.. A lease might give you the right to hunt only mallards but it would be hard for the state to knock on your door because you shot a legal wood duck. Usually breaking a lease rule gets you thrown off or maybe a fine.

More to the story.. I think.

Taxidermist don't care about the tags, only processors as that is the final destination for the meat, which is what constitutes the "game". The horns are just a trophy

If the head does not accompany the carcass, then the head must be accompanied by a Wildlife Resource Document (WRD). 

WRD

BigPig, we can conclude he does not read all the TPWD rules. lol35 Surprise him next time

Last edited by SheepHunter; 02/21/16 03:23 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192660 02/21/16 04:29 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
My understanding is this:

Sec.61.022.
TAKING WILDLIFE RESOURCES WITHOUT CONSENT OF
LANDOWNER PROHIBITED. (a) No person may hunt or catch by any means
or method or possess a wildlife resource at any time and at any
place covered by this chapter unless the owner of the land,
submerged land, or water, or the owner's agent, consents.
(b)Except as provided by Subsection (c), a person who
violates Subsection (a) the first time commits an offense that is a
Class A Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor and is punishable in
addition by the revocation or suspension under Section 12.5015 of 2
hunting and fishing licenses and permits.
(c)A person who violates Subsection (a) the first time by
killing a desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, mule deer, or
white-tailed deer commits an offense that is a Parks and Wildlife
Code state jail felony and is punishable in addition by the
revocation or suspension under Section 12.5015 of hunting and
fishing licenses and permits.

I'm assuming (since the article doesn't explicit state this) that the hunter is alleged to not have had landowner consent to harvest that specific deer. He could presumably shoot other deer, but not that one.

The fact that he circumvented the rules (possibly the law) by not checking the deer could be viewed as intent or culpability (knowingly and intentionally). If he then inappropriately tagged the deer and sneaked the dead deer off of the ranch, hoping nobody would know, then I'm guessing that's why they classify it as poaching.

It would be quite easy to do. Shoot the deer, gut it and stash it in the brush. Then pick it up on the way out, bypassing the required check station and placing a tag on it from his license instead of an MLD tag.

I think we can all conclude that he did not have landowner consent to do that and therefore, it's considered poaching. That's my take on it. I maybe wrong, maybe right. Just a SWAG based upon my limited knowledge.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192736 02/21/16 05:40 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Land Pirate is correct I believe.

But, I didn't know that taking game without landowners consent is a felony.

If there is an agreement between a Landowner & a Lessee, in regards to specific game or property, & that agreement is broken by the Lessee, I would think that would be poaching or trespassing.

If a Landowner grants permission to shoot deer, that doesn't mean the Lessee Dan shoot turkey, even thought the law allow for turkey hunting. Likewise, if a LO grants permission to hunt a north pasture, & the lessee hunts in his south pasture, that seems like trespassing.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192752 02/21/16 06:08 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
As the article states "Normally the buck would be off-limits until it was six years old, but a pact was made among the hunters that the buck would be allowed to live out its natural life and spread its genes into the gene pool for as long as it lived. This was a very difficult decision, but it was subject to change if they determined that the buck would be a world record at age six. They might decide to cash in the chips."

If hunters pays 10K for a lease for 10 years and they finally produce a 200+ 4 1/2 yr. old and they vote him off limits (Maybe) the rest of his life (Maybe) ..... Sounds like the they vote was not unanimous IMO a big problem.

This decision was made in a pact among hunters.... not landowner. It reads like a self serving, self inflicted train wreck between hunters over thinking their management program.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: LuckyHunter] #6192789 02/21/16 08:35 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

This decision was made in a pact among hunters.... not landowner. It reads like a self serving, self inflicted train wreck between hunters over thinking their management program.

Can you post a link to the pact that you speak of, I would like to read it. Thanks

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: BigPig] #6192799 02/21/16 11:04 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Well, Im sure the land was under a wildlife tax exemption and you have to have an approved wildlife management plan which it sounds like they did. The plan called for only bucks 5-6 years or older to be taken and for all bucks to be checked in. The hunter killed the buck at 4 years of age and then did not check it in. Thus violating the states required management plan and seems like that would qualify as poaching an illegal deer.

None of which is mentioned in the article, yes it mentioned the hunters had a plan, but not that any state laws were violated.

I agree with BP.
The way that management plan was explained to me for the tax exemption, was you just have to develop a wild life plan and present it, once approved, you qualify for the continued tax break. (among other criteria) IMO it isn't a state certified plan that has passed the normal qualifiers to become a "law", it is a plan to reach the goal of an existing law. An LO cant develop any plan that is then perceived as a "law", especially if it applies to a 3rd party. LO may loose his tax status IDK

I don't think based on the article, there is anything close to calling this "poaching", even if it was MLD?? "If" he had an open tag to use....

As many of you have pointed out, there is a key piece missing from this article. The part where the article says he did not "tag" the deer, may give a clue as to what real direction this story comes from.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192800 02/21/16 11:11 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
From the article

"Taking a buck off the ranch without going through the check-in is illegal." Is this the standard for MLD??
I don't know, the only few times I have hunted MLD (as a guest), seemed most important for the biologist to get those figures. Is it a violation of state game laws, or just a criteria to be able maintain MLD status??

If the feds where able to get a search warrant under the Lacy Act, someone swore an affidavit with enough evidence to convince a magistrate.

Dennis

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192851 02/21/16 01:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is not the required for MLD. There is not a physical check in station required.

I think the violation was not tagging the deer with the MLD tag and crossing state lines with the untagged deer.

You are required through MLD to register the deer with the ranch or ranch manager with a game harvest sheet that has the weight, sex, age, main beam length, total points etc...it does not have to be checked by them, but it is required that the information be turned in and the tag stay on the animal until reaching it's final destination.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192859 02/21/16 01:35 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Thanks Pitchfork, that makes sense. We still don't know if it was an MLD lease and it doesn't sound like they did any doe hunting in the article.

Dennis

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192865 02/21/16 01:43 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Your welcome. I would have to believe with the amount of land on that ranch and the intense management taking place it was MLD. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192866 02/21/16 01:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...g-and-taxidermy
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read:
Quote:
Taxidermist
Hunters who give any part of a game animal or game bird to a taxidermist for mounting must attach a wildlife resource document (not the tag from the hunting license or permit) to the part. In return, for deer, pronghorn antelope, turkey and pheasant, the taxidermist must give the hunter a receipt as prescribed in "EXCEPTION" (see Proof of Sex - Exception).

The taxidermist “proof of sex” receipt for the part must accompany the tagged carcass until it reaches its final destination and is finally processed. If the taxidermist places any game animal or game bird in cold storage, then the cold storage or processing facility record book is required by law. Without the appropriate record book and a WRD accompanying the game animal or game bird, a taxidermist may be exceeding the prescribed possession limits for game animals and game bird. Taxidermy information packets may be obtained at www.tpwd.texas.gov/warden/forms.

A taxidermist who accepts a deer or turkey shall retain the wildlife resource document or tag accompanying each deer or turkey for a period of two years following the return of the resource to the owner or the sale of the deer or turkey mount to recover taxidermy cost.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6192871 02/21/16 01:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This is not the required for MLD. There is not a physical check in station required.

I think the violation was not tagging the deer with the MLD tag and crossing state lines with the untagged deer.

You are required through MLD to register the deer with the ranch or ranch manager with a game harvest sheet that has the weight, sex, age, main beam length, total points etc...it does not have to be checked by them, but it is required that the information be turned in and the tag stay on the animal until reaching it's final destination.

The landowner or his agent (he designates) are the only ones who can sign the MLD permit. The permits can not be pre-signed from what I was told. The buck or doe does not have to be tagged at the site of the kill, but can be tagged at the HQ or storage/cleaning area(or was allowed in the past). So if this buck was legally tagged under MLD but the hunter forged a signature then it was a violation.

Lot of assuming on all of our parts on this without a lot of key details.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6192890 02/21/16 02:07 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Ours are all signed before we receive them. They hand them out to us at our annual kick off meeting with game wardens present, so it must be legal to do so. It is not legally tagged until the harvest sheet is turned in. These are required to be turned in immediately after tagging the animal.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/21/16 02:39 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6192997 02/21/16 03:29 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Ours are all signed before we receive them. They hand them out to us at our annual kick off meeting with game wardens present, so it must be legal to do so. It is not legally tagged until the harvest sheet is turned in. These are required to be turned in immediately after tagging the animal.

Ours were done that way, but besides weight and just logging the deer to have a corresponding # in the log for it everything else was done off-site (scoring, aging, etc). Not using an MLD tag isn't always a crisis bc there's been instances where TPWD didn't get permits to folks until general rifle was about to start so you've got state tags being used on MLD properties. One of those things where if you're scared enough to get off the lease anyway, just man up and tell them you shot it, slap a permit on it and skip all the way to ID when they kick you off the lease. This deal screams lots of butt hurt.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6193010 02/21/16 03:42 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
First off, did anyone see the carcass and see if it was in fact tagged? Answer: NO. So this is pure conjecture. How does anyone really know if the buck was tagged before it crossed the state line? Did he get pulled over and checked? Nope.

Second, where in the article does it say the deer was mounted in TX? If the taxidermy was done in another state then TX laws on how the taxidermist records the tag info is not relevant. If you take a buck from TX to a taxidermist in ID all the taxidermist will want to see if the license and he/she will dutifully record the license number and the state the license was issued it. TX law doesn't extend past the border of TX, like it or not.

Third: I've never seen a deer tag that says a deer has to be a certain age before it is taken. Sometimes there are antler restrictions or sex restrictions but but not age. If he had a valid tag then in the eyes of TX tat was a legal deer. He may have violated ranch rules or lease rules or even a "gentleman's agreement" but none of those are illegal. Remember it is what the law says and not what the ranch owner or other leasees say.

Should he have shot the buck? Probably not. Did he break any state game laws in killing the buck? Probably not.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6193032 02/21/16 04:07 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
As others states, this is poorly written article. Leases do not have their own "laws". I can't add anything that others haven't already stated. The gentleman may have shot a deer that was "off limits" but certainly it wasn't illegal. Was a heck of a deer, that's for sure.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Flags] #6193045 02/21/16 04:23 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Flags
First off, did anyone see the carcass and see if it was in fact tagged? Answer: NO. So this is pure conjecture. How does anyone really know if the buck was tagged before it crossed the state line? Did he get pulled over and checked? Nope.

Second, where in the article does it say the deer was mounted in TX? If the taxidermy was done in another state then TX laws on how the taxidermist records the tag info is not relevant. If you take a buck from TX to a taxidermist in ID all the taxidermist will want to see if the license and he/she will dutifully record the license number and the state the license was issued it. TX law doesn't extend past the border of TX, like it or not.

Third: I've never seen a deer tag that says a deer has to be a certain age before it is taken. Sometimes there are antler restrictions or sex restrictions but but not age. If he had a valid tag then in the eyes of TX tat was a legal deer. He may have violated ranch rules or lease rules or even a "gentleman's agreement" but none of those are illegal. Remember it is what the law says and not what the ranch owner or other leasees say.

Should he have shot the buck? Probably not. Did he break any state game laws in killing the buck? Probably not.

More like probably so.

See above post from Land Pirate.

Also, we don't know from the article whether or not it is MLD, but in all likelihood it is.

If that's the case, you ARE illegal if you tag the deer with a regular deer tag on MLD level 2 or 3 properties. You are also illegal if you do tag it with a MLD tag but fail to turn in the game harvest sheet immediately (they define immediately as soon as reasonably possible) after the MLD tag is put on the animal.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: blackcoal] #6193109 02/21/16 05:34 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Can you post a link to the pact that you speak of, I would like to read it. Thanks

see original post link

"Normally the buck would be off-limits until it was six years old, but a pact was made among the hunters that the buck would be allowed to live out its natural life and spread its genes into the gene pool for as long as it lived. This was a very difficult decision, but it was subject to change if they determined that the buck would be a world record at age six. They might decide to cash in the chips."

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6193402 02/21/16 10:13 PM
F
Flags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Also, we don't know from the article whether or not it is MLD, but in all likelihood it is.

If that's the case, you ARE illegal if you tag the deer with a regular deer tag on MLD level 2 or 3 properties. You are also illegal if you do tag it with a MLD tag but fail to turn in the game harvest sheet immediately (they define immediately as soon as reasonably possible) after the MLD tag is put on the animal.

You've just made my point. Nobody knows if it was MLD or not or if it was in any way illegal in the eyes of the actual law. You've even just admitted it. Not guilty until proven guilty. Or did this suddenly change? Lot's of accusations but not a lot of facts. I really don't see the issue with him taking the buck but then I have never been obsessed with antlers anyways. The amount of exposed bone on a buck's head isn't relevant to me. Never saw an antler yet that was edible.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6193515 02/21/16 11:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Quoted from the article...
Quote:
It was time to get the feds involved. There is a long list of violations involved above and beyond not tagging and checking in a deer, including a violation of the Lacey act which imposes strict penalties for taking an illegal game animal across state lines. Federal authorities have no sense of humor when it comes to this type of thing.

Armed with a search warrant, federal game wardens entered Skip Weiner’s house on Christmas Eve and confiscated the buck. The mount is now back in the hands of Texas Parks and Wildlife law enforcement while the case works its way through the court system. All parties are innocent until proven guilty, of course.

Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Flags] #6193669 02/22/16 01:48 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

You've just made my point. Nobody knows if it was MLD or not or if it was in any way illegal in the eyes of the actual law. You've even just admitted it. Not guilty until proven guilty. Or did this suddenly change? Lot's of accusations but not a lot of facts. I really don't see the issue with him taking the buck but then I have never been obsessed with antlers anyways. The amount of exposed bone on a buck's head isn't relevant to me. Never saw an antler yet that was edible.

You don't see the issue with him taking the buck? The Ranch owner and lease hunters all agree to let the deer walk and this guy waits until everyone leaves and then kills the buck and sneaks it off the ranch?

Being obsessed with antlers is irrelevant. The guy got on a ranch and lease with rules and guidelines and then ignores them. Illegal or not - totally out of bounds for this guy to kill this buck. I have hunted with guys like you and want nothing to do with you or your type. Remind me not to ever go into business with you or have you anywhere near my lease.

Last edited by tlk; 02/22/16 02:49 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6193707 02/22/16 02:08 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
From what I read the illegal act was not logging the deer at ranch headquartets. The lavy act involves trade of illegal game or wildlife. It must have been broadened to simply include possession.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: mikei] #6193715 02/22/16 02:11 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Thee hunter was in a agreement with the other members to never kill the deer. Subject to change year 6. These guys spend big money to hunt this ranch and wanted to keep his genetics. I would be pissed

Big Beckett!!
Re: Sad tale of the poaching of SuperBuck [Re: Flags] #6193720 02/22/16 02:13 AM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Are you really that naive? They are not going to be able to confiscate the deer like they already have in the pictures of the article and charge him without facts. You don't see the issue? Yeah I can see that the more you type. hammer

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/22/16 02:16 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide