475534 Topics
6238192 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6190793 - 02/19/16 10:34 AM Approaching family members for heirloom firearms
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

I've found that it's often easier to be approach complete strangers in purchasing firearms, than family members. I can think of firearms that once belonged to family members that I would love to have today but never asked to buy simply because the time never seemed right. Obviously, it's not something that seems appropriate when someone is terminally ill, or when you feel your purchasing it might offend other family members. And yet, a complete stranger might end up with a firearm that several family members might like to own one day.

Perhaps one solution is to offer to buy the family member a new and comparable rifle or shotgun to replace their old gun that you would like own and keep. That way, they still have a firearm for their use, and other family members have less reason to cry foul.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions to share?

Spring, Texas

#6190826 - 02/19/16 10:59 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

My uncle has a 1911 and Remmy 700 that was my grandfather's (uncle and dad's dad).

The 1911 was inscribed and given to my grandfather by a Texas Ranger - it was the Ranger's service weapon - right before my grandpa headed off to go kill Nazis. The pistol made it to Europe and back on grandpa's hip. I made it clear that I would like to have it when the time comes that my uncle doesn't want it. The 700 would be a bonus.

As awkward as it may be, let the owner of the firearm know what you would like. There are tactful ways to ask for things. Offering to buy a replacement is a good way to start though.

We went to the range one day and that was where I asked if there was a chance I could ever have it after we shot the 1911 around a bit. I know my uncle is holding out for grandkids of his own to pass it down to. However, I think I may be the last outdoorsman/firearm appreciating cousin of the five of us. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see his kids having kids that will be anything other than city boys. Can someone even own a firearm in Brooklyn or Washington, DC anymore?

#6190834 - 02/19/16 11:03 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Would love to have my granfathers model 70 243. Was a great plain jane gun with a fixed 6x weaver on it. My aunt and uncle got it they threw the old weaver away and put a new scope on it and had the barrel reblued and the stock stripped and refinished. It irritated me pretty bad, should have just left grandpa's gun alone. To beat all it hasn't been shot or gone afield since.

#6190838 - 02/19/16 11:06 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: redchevy]
Choctaw Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texoma
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Would love to have my granfathers model 70 243. Was a great plain jane gun with a fixed 6x weaver on it. My aunt and uncle got it they threw the old weaver away and put a new scope on it and had the barrel reblued and the stock stripped and refinished. It irritated me pretty bad, should have just left grandpa's gun alone. To beat all it hasn't been shot or gone afield since.

I agree. They stripped the memories away by refinishing the rifle.

#6190859 - 02/19/16 11:22 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: redchevy]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I'll never understand how someone can do that.

#6190894 - 02/19/16 11:42 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
talkturkey Offline

My dad had a ton of firearms, which, my P.O.S. brother was 'storing', after dad moved into a retirement apartment. The P.O.S. brother ended up stealing them all, not allowing any of his siblings/nephews/niece a chance to have any. Just depends on what kind of 'family' you are blessed with, in my case, not so much. But I was blessed with lots of memories and can't steal those.

#6190906 - 02/19/16 11:58 AM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
THF Celebrity

You must act while family members are living. Such was the case when my grandfather told me he had sold his old .22 to a man who lived in the area. I was able to track the buyer down and he agreed to give me the rifle if I could find one much like it. By the grace of God, I did so the following weekend at a Houston gun show. My grandfather's rifle is now in my safe and has been restored to mint condition.

Still, there are other firearms once owned by family members who have long since passed that I regret not asking to purchase or replace with a comparable gun.

Spring, Texas

#6191063 - 02/19/16 02:45 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
My Daddy split them up already how he wanted them to go. Based on special memories each kid had with them. Worked out fine.

If it's out of your control with an uncle or cousins you just have to ask and take the answer as it comes. Just make an offer to buy. I really don't see how offering to "replace" one does anything but highlight the fact that the one sought is special and they are making an uneven trade.

#6191080 - 02/19/16 03:06 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I was 17 when my grandfather died in 1986. He was a pistol shooter and had three-four nice customized 1911s, a couple of T/Cs, S&W 41, and several others. Because we lived far away nobody really considered that I might want them, and my grandmother sold them all to family-friend Jim Clark (yes, that Jim Clark). When I found out I expressed my wishes and we got back a modified K-series S&W .38 that my grandfather shot a ton, a Colt Detective Special, and his Colt Woodsman (which has since been stolen). All the others had already been sold again. Really makes me sad that as a kid I didn't get to spend that much time with my grandfather because we both share a love of shooting, and I could have learned a ton from him.

#6191089 - 02/19/16 03:13 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
kinda like "she got the gold mine & I got the shaft" been there about guns, I bought my dad a browning semi in 1960, he never shot it much, when he died I asked where the gun was? "gee didn't know you would want it".

#6191104 - 02/19/16 03:26 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: colt45]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: colt45
kinda like "she got the gold mine & I got the shaft" been there about guns, I bought my dad a browning semi in 1960, he never shot it much, when he died I asked where the gun was? "gee didn't know you would want it".

That points to a key point behind my OP. All too often, family members remain silent in their desire to have a certain heirloom firearm out of respect for one another. And in my case, there were guns that were owned by members of my wife's family that I hunted with through high school, college, and long after my wife and I were married. Being an in law, I did not feel comfortable at the time approaching them to buy one of their guns. And you sure don't want to be disrespectful by talking with them about what happens after they pass. Still, looking back now, I should have looked past all that and made them serious offers for the guns I would like to have today before they ended up in the hands of others by default.

Spring, Texas

#6191124 - 02/19/16 03:38 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
Ag Hunter 78 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Austin, Tx
I am on the flip side of that coin. My dad or uncles were practically devoid of weapons although they did hunt etc (often with a borrowed rifle!) I guess they had to worry about silly things like food and rent. So I didn't inherit anything...had to buy my own. Anyway, the main reason that my collection has grown the last few years is so that my siblings and grandkids all get at least one rifle whether they stay as city slickers or get more into the outdoors. Already got them covered and have it all in writing! What they do with them is their business. My brother is the biggest hunter and will get the biggest share.

#6191173 - 02/19/16 04:16 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I always use the "let me know if you ever think about selling it" line.

#6191395 - 02/19/16 07:04 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
I would let them know I covet the gun and ask them whether I could buy it from them or trade something they would like to replace it with.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (02/19/16 07:05 PM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6191511 - 02/19/16 08:50 PM Re: Approaching family members for heirloom firearms [Re: Texas Dan]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
cheers My guns already took case of... Who gets what... Only worth to em tis me memmories, & most them die with me... Me daughter get me pistals & black powder stuff... Want me grandkids ta know what hunten tis about, way i was raised... flag

i'm postaddic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide