Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? #6187002 02/17/16 06:27 AM
AmerMirza Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I am a new hunter (2015-16 my 1st season) who has successfully harvested deer towards the end of the season thanks to some good people on this hunting forum site. For next season, I am considering whether to try Public Hunting or not. First hand experience, can someone tell me pros and cons of it? Is it crowded? Are really hundreds of shots fired from all directions when a deer is visible and everyone claiming they shot? Any experiences? Recommendation for a fairly new hunter like me?

I want to harvest a BUCK and give my dad the trophy as he doesn't hunt and wants the head. I will eat the meat. If I hunt at private ranches, the cost is well over $2500 for a Buck. I read stat that in 2014 there was 1 fatality only and over 1 million hunting licenses were sold. But was the experience worth it?

*** I barter for Meat Hunts. You dont Pay a $! Website and Facebook Promo for Meat Hunts. Ask me how !***
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6187413 02/17/16 05:23 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I haven't hunted public deer, but I bet if you put in the miles and time scouting you could find somewhere to hunt that holds deer and is away from the crowds. Hunting will be harder than sitting on a feeder. You might want to look into bow hunting, less people.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6187472 02/17/16 06:03 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Welcome to the forum, and to hunting.

I enjoy hunting for deer on public land. It's definitely a different challenge compared to sitting in a comfy blind overlooking a feeder. On Texas public land, no baiting is allowed, and you can't keep structures up more than 72 hours. Most don't allow vehicles, so you'll be on foot. It takes a good deal of scouting, looking for trails & food sources, etc. Once you've identified a good spot, be prepared to hike in before dawn and stay until after sunset.

The good news is, it's usually only crowded on opening weekend, and even then it's nothing like you describe with hundreds of shots from all directions. If you can hunt during the week or later in the season, you'll probably never come across another hunter.

Get your annual public hunting permit (APH) and study the booklet that comes with it for all the regulations and places where deer can be hunted.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6187730 02/17/16 09:09 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Take a look at the TPWD drawn hunts online. There are multiple opportunities there - just apply for all of them ($3/each) and you will have a good shot of getting drawn for one. I think the updated book comes out in July and the drawings are late summer. The drawn hunts by definition aren't a free-for-all since they control how many hunters are out there at once; and usually the WMAs in this program don't get over hunted.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6188065 02/18/16 01:24 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

If you want to hunt BUCKS you're better off going private.
The demand vs supply is astronomical and if your luck is average you could wait 20 years before you get to go.
I still apply but don't get my hopes up.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6188480 02/18/16 01:09 PM
R
Redskins4ever Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
public land maybe good for doe but big bucks forget it

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6188587 02/18/16 02:07 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
There are some monsters in Gus Engeling, Kerr, and others. No, your odds are not great of getting drawn and bringing down a giant, but it's absolutely worth a shot. Also bow hunting gives you lots more options.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6188845 02/18/16 03:53 PM
AmerMirza Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thanks everyone for your replies but I am confused still. So, if you get a Public hunting permit, you just cant go to the Public hunting land? Your name needs to be drawn? Because I called TPWD few weeks back and they said just to show up on the hunting land. Based on all the feedback I am getting, I feel like its not as dangerous to hunt on Public Land as I think. Maybe worth a try.

Last edited by AmerMirza; 02/18/16 03:53 PM.

*** I barter for Meat Hunts. You dont Pay a $! Website and Facebook Promo for Meat Hunts. Ask me how !***
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6188906 02/18/16 04:16 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
For deer hunting, there are a few WMAs that just require the Annual Public Hunting Permit and are open throughout all or part of that county's deer season. There aren't many that are like this, though. The majority of WMAs work off of the drawn hunt program. All you do there is enter the drawing; if you are drawn you can buy a permit for that particular WMA.
https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/

The APH permit gets you onto all the WMAs year-round so you can scout, hike, fish or do whatever activities are allowed there. Hunt seasons and species vary by WMA. Generally speaking it's only deer and turkey that require you enter the drawing system - most of the time waterfowl, pigs, squirrel, and dove only require the APH permit and whatever federal/state tags you need.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6189489 02/18/16 08:53 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
GDE (gun deer either sex, adult not youth) drawn hunt success (kill) rate for the previous four seasons (15-16 not included since that data isn't published yet, so 14-15 and back three years) is 48.5%. Youth rate is lower.

-Mickey

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6189671 02/18/16 10:34 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: AmerMirza
Thanks everyone for your replies but I am confused still. So, if you get a Public hunting permit, you just cant go to the Public hunting land? Your name needs to be drawn? Because I called TPWD few weeks back and they said just to show up on the hunting land. Based on all the feedback I am getting, I feel like its not as dangerous to hunt on Public Land as I think. Maybe worth a try.

There are two different kinds of public land hunts, and you've heard about both.

1. There are "walk-in" hunts where you just show up at the designated hunting site during the season. There are only a couple of these places in Texas where you can hunt for deer with a rifle. A few more allow bowhunting, and several others allow hunts for hogs, small game, predators, etc. That's all spelled out in the booklet. In approximately 15 walk-in deer hunts at these sites, I've shot exactly one deer -- a small doe. But that's my favorite all-time deer hunting success.

2. There are also "drawn" hunts where you enter a drawing for a particular hunt at a particular site and take your chances on getting drawn. The chance of getting drawn is pretty low, but IF you get drawn, your chance of successfully hunting an animal is pretty high.

I hope that helps clarify things. Public hunts, especially walk-in hunts, are a great way to gain experience scouting, patterning and tracking deer, but not the best way to harvest a giant buck. They're also great for dove, duck, rabbit, etc. hunting if you like that kind of thing.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6191847 02/20/16 02:48 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I agree with Harrier. If your definition of a trophy is a decent buck then you need to look elsewhere or better be prepared to put several years of hard grinding and scouting to produce a quality buck on Public Land. They are there but the amount of effort and scouting required is immense. However if your goal is to go out have a great time and enjoy your hunting experience no matter what happens then Public Land will work well for you. I consider any animal taken on Public Land to be a trophy. Pig Doe buck Coyote or bob cat. That is why I love hunting public land. Because it is tough! I am also learning things the hard way about hunting and tracks. Effort and sweat is what it takes to make it happen on Public lands.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6192139 02/20/16 08:17 PM
C
Coonhunter78 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I have been hunting public land for years,and have been to a bunch of the different WMA's most all of them hold small number's of deer that is pretty much a waste of time trying to hunt. If I was wanting to shot a nice buck I would go to Angelina Neches dam b WMA, there's good deer there you will need a boat to get around you can also rifle hunt it all deer season, you never hear anybody talk about this particular WMA it goes unnoticed.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6195014 02/23/16 01:20 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The best public hunting in Tx is for species other than deer. Your choosing a hard earned endeavor to earn. Good luck.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6197391 02/24/16 07:08 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Defenision of a Trophy Buck ? What are you looking for ? Does pudding a price on it make it a trophy ? Biggest difference in public & privet land is price tag ...
Public land for deer, as many have already posted can be very tough hunts... Few allow rifle, most are Archery only, & believe none allow baiting... Draw hunts might be the exception... Draw hunts are more like the hunts on privet land in the order of you will be assigned a spacific area to hunt & some allow, even recomend atv...
Right now several have the hog hunts going on... A good time ta get introduced ta public hunting... Boots on the ground or as pappy says: pudding one foot in front of de udder can learn a wealth of info for future deer hunts & draw hunts... One step at a time...
Best wishes.... Person can be suprised at what ya see... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6201110 02/27/16 05:58 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
i cant read the whole post my sone when t bed but is there any pulic land were i can hunt hog sound ft hood kiln are i was told mourned still hols lake but the is as far as the hunters wanted to tell me the ould not give me any more info i am willing to take fishing for hog hunting lessons i have a 21 ft boat make my own cat fish bat and sell it online to take disable vet fish for free the bait works well

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: chemdawg] #6201744 02/27/16 10:54 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
sent ya a pm chemdawg flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6219365 03/11/16 04:29 PM
.308pepper Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
With your experience, it's my honest opinion that you're better off paying for the trophy hunt.

I'm young(25), but I've hunted both public and private land since I was 8 with my father with his 40+ years experience. There are few woods that I enjoy more than those of the Angelina and Sabine National Forests in East Texas. I've personally taken 2 bucks out of there in the 130 - 140 range(one was last year) and have seen from my pop/other hunters in our camp 140 - 150's. That said, it took years of scouting to ensure a succesful season. At one point we were seeing 8 - 10 deer a hunt, which is good compared to West Texas standards. However, we finally joined back on a lease this year after about 10 seasons in the forest. There comes a point when you no longer want to deal with the hassle of all the rules, nor can deal with the numerous outlaws that roam those woods.

If you decide you're up for the challenge, the woods around Ragtown in Shelbyville County are a good place to start. Best of luck. You'll need it.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6243576 04/01/16 01:50 AM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
For the most part, public hunting land in Texas (and in a lot of other states) is beat up. There is a lot of hunting pressure on these lands and the animals become smart quick. There are definitely still special places to find, but they are far and few between, and require a lot of hard work to find and a little luck as well. Rule of thumb, hunt as far away as possible from public access points and your luck gets better. For me, reading a lot on this forum and sending genuine messages to others asking for their advice and suggestions has been priceless. Another way of looking at it - the satisfaction from harvesting a Buck on public land would topple, in my opinion, that of scoring a feeder-trained deer. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6394015 08/04/16 02:35 AM
E
epolanco Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Does anyone know if you can go into WMA's on a bike? Thanks

"I'm a modern day John Wayne with my daddy's last name born 50 years too late"
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6394832 08/04/16 07:51 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
I only hunt deer on public land. Last year I got my first spike/buck on public land in two hunts... I looked at maps. Compared to google earth. Found water, food, bedding areas, and looked for pinch points. Sciped two areas one night and saw a couple and the sign i was looking for and the next morning was in the stand and got my buck. I dont have a ton of hunting experience but I read as much as I could find on public hunting and looked for videos on youtube. I just made a facebook page for texas public hunters and hope to get some videos out there with tips and tricks soon.

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: epolanco] #6394960 08/04/16 09:41 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: epolanco
Does anyone know if you can go into WMA's on a bike? Thanks

Yes, you can unless it's specifically prohibited for that area. I take my mountain bike often.

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6395214 08/05/16 01:16 AM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That's awesome ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6395240 08/05/16 01:44 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
What no camp tape? Actually, that is awesome....

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Public Land Hunting: To do or not to do? [Re: AmerMirza] #6395272 08/05/16 01:59 AM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I thought about going camo with it, but I kinda worry about ditching it in the weeds somewhere and then not finding it again. Sometimes I take an extra jacket to cover it up, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide