Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,586
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? #6183771 02/15/16 04:49 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Im gonna miss some info im on the rd talking to the wife at the same time.

So ive thought of taking some family land starting a public range. This wouldnt be a hobby, and i wouldnt forget that. It currently has a personal rifle range out to 500 yds that is bench shooting. Its roughly 700yds x 65yds. I also plan to build the pistol range this summer or spring break which would be 50yds x 50yds. Lastly, i want to add a tac course 200yds x 50 yds. So here is some important metrics.

Mcallen MSA population- roughly 900k ppl. Median age is 30yrs old and about a 50/50 split men and women.

5 ranges in the county exist. 4 are outdoor. Max distance is 300yds. One specializes in shotgun, one is geared for rifle 300yds and the rest are standard 100/200yd rifle about 10 lanes and pistol about 10 lanes.

There are 15+ gunshops in area.

Land is owned free and clear. Located in county not city, but 15min from downtown mcallen.

A building that is 60% finished out for classroom/store front.

I have a good idea of capital costs, and worked at a range for a couple years in college.

Last edited by jorge; 02/15/16 05:24 AM.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6183787 02/15/16 05:17 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6184734 02/15/16 11:13 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
1. Check county zoning laws AND political climate. A county DA that doesn't like ranges can make your life miserable.
2. Insurance is going to be costly and they are going to insist on certain criteria. Find out before your build.
3. Do your market research personally.
Visit the other ranges at all times during the week. How full are they? At what times? How do the patrons like the range? Chat up the owners. (don't tell them you plan on being a competitor) Talk to the local gun clubs. When and where do they shoot?
4 Calculate your profit and loss. This is going to have to be your full time job. Is there enough income to support you?

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6184827 02/16/16 12:05 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
think about a indoor pistol range to go with it for year round shooting ,people get bored during the winter. Teaching new shooters / chl classes / women's night league / some kind of monthly or weekly competition .

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185138 02/16/16 02:10 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Get ahold of someone who is in the NRA's Nat'l HQ dept that provides this kind of info, they got all the info you need and will help you, and even design and layout the whole deal for you, work with the various political subdivisons in State/County/and even municipal regulators.

I'm ALWAYS looking for a good shooting range it seems and not enough of them to go around.

Ron cheers

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: hetman] #6185269 02/16/16 03:12 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: hetman
think about a indoor pistol range to go with it for year round shooting ,people get bored during the winter. Teaching new shooters / chl classes / women's night league / some kind of monthly or weekly competition .

Good advice EXCEPT there isn't much winter in McAllen. cheers

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: JESmith] #6185273 02/16/16 03:14 AM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: JESmith
1. Check county zoning laws AND political climate. A county DA that doesn't like ranges can make your life miserable.
2. Insurance is going to be costly and they are going to insist on certain criteria. Find out before your build.
3. Do your market research personally.
Visit the other ranges at all times during the week. How full are they? At what times? How do the patrons like the range? Chat up the owners. (don't tell them you plan on being a competitor) Talk to the local gun clubs. When and where do they shoot?
4 Calculate your profit and loss. This is going to have to be your full time job. Is there enough income to support you?

Good advice. Check out neighbors too. Do you have a public road or right of way for access?

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185307 02/16/16 03:39 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks for yalls replies. Yes this would be my full time job. Im at a cross roads i was an engineer in the oil field and have been applying for months outside O&G and am wanting to be the master of my own fate from here on out.

Ive reached out to NRA but they werent very interested in helping me. Ive talked to them several times in the past month. My main reason for using them is insurance.

Im in the process of zoning and laws for our ranch. Its a very unique piece of land a pic will soon be attached.

Market research is in progress. My selling point is i am offering what each range caters too all in one place centrally located. Plus the long range thing. I also am hoping the tactical training i can offer will be the other game changer. My cousin who is in Marsoc is getting out and several of his buddies are interested in working with me. Also, several leo friends who are swat are wanting in. Its the border so im hoping with all the bs that goes down on a daily basis this will be attractive to the populus.

So with the local politicians and it being a border town, i just have to be on the right side of the politics. I think i have that covered.

Winters are mild and i dont think organically growing will allow indoor for 1st 5 years.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185355 02/16/16 04:26 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

here is the layout and the arrows represent what direction we are shooting. one thing i have to figure out how to work around is the usfws wildlife refuge that borders us to the west. as you can see its all rural county land to north and west. mexico is out property line to the south. Closest housing is miles to the north.

Orange lines are property lines. Static range is a few acres and tac course is a few acres and pistol range is 3/4 acre

Last edited by jorge; 02/16/16 04:30 AM.

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185384 02/16/16 04:47 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If it's in an unincorporated area, that will make things easier, zoning, permits, etc. Insurance will be a big cost. I know the range I mainly go to (indoor and pistol only or AR up to 223) only allows factory loads and no hand loads whatsoever. I don't hand load, but when I asked the owner why one time, he said it was for insurance purposes.

We already had one public and one private near me. And there have been two new ones (including the one I mentioned) that have opened up within 10 miles of me in the last few years and they are always full, especially on weekends. Of course we have a sizeable population center here too. I try to go during the weekday mid mornings when I get the chance because that's the slowest time.

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185401 02/16/16 05:17 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Make sure the bullet doesn't cross property lines and you may have something rifle

[Linked Image]
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185720 02/16/16 03:10 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I wouldn't like being at the rifle range and basically being down range of the pistol. Put them side by side and place a huge mount of dirt between them so you still can have indenpendent cease fires. Also, looks like you might consider putting a 5 stand range on the other side of the road.

Great idea, I wish you the best! NRA does have some "ideal" range layouts and berm heights. They are conservative for obvious reasons but should be able to help.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185871 02/16/16 04:51 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Being down range has been brought to my attention. Let me clarify and see if layout still would be issue for yourseld. i have pistols shooting west and there is about 100yd to 150yd gap between them and rifles shooting south. I ask because anyones and everyones insight is important. This is info for my market study

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185875 02/16/16 04:53 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Don't do it. There are waaaay too many startup costs and insurance is very expensive. If you do decide to do it, make it a nonprofit club and it'll help your insurance costs.

Believe me, I've done it.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185916 02/16/16 05:20 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you sent me an e-mail, I never got it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185926 02/16/16 05:26 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Fireman, im gathering more statistics before i send.

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185939 02/16/16 05:38 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I would give Adam Morgan a call at North East Texas Tactical. He started his rifle range, and got sued several times over. I think he's still going but he would be a good source to talk to about the difficulties and issues you will face.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185945 02/16/16 05:42 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
There was a new indoor range just started last year between Midland and Odessa Texas . I had no idea it was even being started but there was another one in Midland that still has not got off the ground . Rumor has it that they needed investors , rounded up what they needed then they started dropping out cause rumor had it they needed $8-million to get it done . Insurance is high and any and all ranges has to have insurance . Lot's of things to be considered . If any highline wires run across the land anywhere behind the range the range must totally close down if any work is being done on the lines until work is finished . Dunes are required to a specific height (that means a lot of dirt work depending how many lanes you open) . State laws , rules, regulations will all effect you and your surroundings . If you have neighbors with livestock in the area that will be a problem too . If a cow gets killed from a stray bullet , hope your insurance covers it . No matter how good a person is or how well built a range is if a stray bullet hits and kills one person you the owner will be responsible and you better have a good lawyer and great insurance . But then again that applies to you reguardless even if you just step out on your back porch and shoot a gun and it hits anyone . Better have a good excuse and a good lawyer .

Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6185954 02/16/16 05:47 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jorge
Fireman, im gathering more statistics before i send.

10-4

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6186026 02/16/16 06:25 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: jorge
Being down range has been brought to my attention. Let me clarify and see if layout still would be issue for yourseld. i have pistols shooting west and there is about 100yd to 150yd gap between them and rifles shooting south. I ask because anyones and everyones insight is important. This is info for my market study

I missed the arrow to the west and saw the arrow to the south. No, that wouldn't concern me but I would want some sort of berm that they or I was behind. All it takes is one jack leg to twist the gun sideways to pull the slide with their finger on the trigger. I understand that could happen if you were on the line with them but more times than not I wouldn't have my back to them and I'd like to think I could say something to them.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need some insight on starting a shooting range anyone ever start one? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6186064 02/16/16 06:54 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Yeah the idea is to have each range totally insulated by berms. At this time that is my most expensive cost.

from what i can see the most expensive cost of a range is land. The land has been free and clear for 20 years.

The midland/odessa ranges are ridiculously expensive because the land cost. I lived in the area for the last 3 yrs working at halliburton. I heard about that deal and the land price was just insane.

Im looking at needing between 30k and 50k to get it started with the 3 areas.

Last edited by jorge; 02/16/16 06:57 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide