6248268 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6180176 - 02/12/16 08:01 AM Hearing Protection Act
East Offline
Mr. BM

Loc: East Texas
Received this in an email from a local gun store I know the owners of. I don't know the legitimacy but thought I would share if anyone is interested. Can't hurt

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act/

#6180242 - 02/12/16 08:53 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
38 states now allowing hunting with suppressors, so why should it be difficult to get one?

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/22/bill-introduced-to-remove-suppressors-from-nfa-regulation/

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6180269 - 02/12/16 09:05 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Even though suppressors are essentially safety devices, it's important to recognize that we're fighting 50 years of bad Hollywood movies that portray them as evil. I think the HPA is an uphill fight, but we'll never change the public dialog and perception unless we try. Suppressors are first and foremost safety devices and secondly very useful social tools that enable us to reduce public noise disturbance in rural and semi-rural areas.

Just like car mufflers, which are required for largely the same reasons.

#6180292 - 02/12/16 09:13 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: kmon1]
deewayne2003 Offline

Originally Posted By: kmon1
38 states now allowing hunting with suppressors, so why should it be difficult to get one?

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/22/bill-introduced-to-remove-suppressors-from-nfa-regulation/

Agreed..... They were not put in the NFA because they were being used in crime.

From what I understand the thinking behind putting them in the NFA was to keep people from being able to use them to poach game on federal lands & kill farmers livestock for food during the great depression.

The "Tax stamp" was simply a means to ban NFA items since the government wouldn't issue the stamps (same as Marijuana tax stamps) and remember the $200 tax stamp would be the equivalent of over $3,500 in todays money back then; so the stamps were nothing but a "prohibitive cost ban" from the beginning.

#6180351 - 02/12/16 09:43 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: syncerus]
NTRP Offline

Loc: McKinney, TX By God!
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Even though suppressors are essentially safety devices, it's important to recognize that we're fighting 50 years of bad Hollywood movies that portray them as evil. I think the HPA is an uphill fight, but we'll never change the public dialog and perception unless we try. Suppressors are first and foremost safety devices and secondly very useful social tools that enable us to reduce public noise disturbance in rural and semi-rural areas.

Just like car mufflers, which are required for largely the same reasons.

This almost verbatim how I explain the use of suppressors to the uninformed.

North Texas Rifle Precision
Josh (Jay) Ruby
Team Shooter for Short Action Customs and Kahles Optics

#6180803 - 02/12/16 03:30 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
I'd love one but don't want to go through all the government BS and the long wait. If I could pay my $200 + cost of suppressor at the same time, I would have several.

#6180892 - 02/12/16 04:31 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I have absolutely no interest in them, but I have much interest in rolling back all the oppression emanating from Washington DC.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6181012 - 02/12/16 06:02 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: RiverRider]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I have absolutely no interest in them, but I have much interest in rolling back all the oppression emanating from Washington DC.

I felt the same way, RR, until I owned one. The .22 suppressors are amazing, and the suppressor-over-brake combo is just revolutionary for really hard kickers like my lightweight .338 LM.

#6181038 - 02/12/16 06:16 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: syncerus]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

I felt the same way, RR, until I owned one. The .22 suppressors are amazing, and the suppressor-over-brake combo is just revolutionary for really hard kickers like my lightweight .338 LM.

Is there a significant amount of recoil reduction over just the brake?

#6181048 - 02/12/16 06:20 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Well, the additional weight of the suppressor out at the end of the barrel seems to help disproportionally, but the real win is that you get all of the benefits of the brake (recoil reduction), but none of the muzzle blast. It's really greatness.

#6194266 - 02/22/16 09:25 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: syncerus]
East Offline
Mr. BM

Loc: East Texas
Email I received back

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Hearing Protection Act of 2015 (H.R. 3799). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you may know, H.R. 3799 was introduced in the House of Representatives on October 22, 2015. This legislation would remove sound suppressors from regulation under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (P.L. 73-474) and ensure that purchasing a firearm suppressor is treated the same as purchasing a long gun. You may be certain that I will keep your views in mind should a Senate companion to H.R. 3799 or other relevant legislation be considered during the 114th Congress.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms for lawful purposes. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals upon which our country was established. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court supporting the fundamental right of American citizens to keep and bear arms. This landmark ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In the 2010 McDonald v. City of Chicago decision, the Supreme Court struck down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—thereby affirming that the Second Amendment protects Americans’ fundamental rights against state and local encroachment.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to harm innocent Americans. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and imposing tougher sentences on career criminals and violent offenders who use firearms—will reduce violence more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens. Furthermore, lawmakers should work to reduce violence by enacting policies that increase treatment options for those who are dangerously mentally ill—a common factor in many acts of mass violence that have occurred in communities across the nation.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

#6194363 - 02/22/16 10:20 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Looks like a "please vote for me again" set of paragraphs.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6194388 - 02/22/16 10:35 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
Ramball36 Online   content

Loc: McKinney
What?

www.facebook.com/r2metalworks/

www.threecurl.com

#6194394 - 02/22/16 10:40 AM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
KRoyal Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
Yep lol looked more like something about mass shootings and 2nd amendment rights than anything to do with suppressors.

Rapid Design Lab

#6195065 - 02/22/16 07:51 PM Re: Hearing Protection Act [Re: East]
Gwood88 Offline
Bird Dog

I got something similar when I emailed Kevin Brady asking him to fight Obama on gun control after the Oregon shooting and his State of the Union. Brady pretty much recapped the events and said we shouldn't make hasty decisions and that was it.

I understand they are very busy but at least address the question/statement!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide