Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476184 Topics
6246652 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6179285 - 02/11/16 01:48 PM Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild?
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
Saw the mountain lion topic posted here and made me think about Jaguarundis as well. I've seen one in person in Carrizo Springs, TX - about 75 yards away from me about 10 years ago. Was walking at the ranch with my dog and we were downwind...it walked across the road in front of us and it never looked our direction. We decided to turn and head back to the house. I had never seen one and wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. After I got back to my computer, I was able to verify it. Other neighbors around that area had been seeing them. Hadn't heard much about them until my dad saw 2 (or the same one) over the course of 2 days this last December.

Here's what they look like...some people don't even know they exist, when I mention them:

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

#6179291 - 02/11/16 01:50 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
very likely what I saw this past hunting season SW from Ozona.

~PMK~

#6179311 - 02/11/16 02:10 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Never even heard of them. Interesting animal. How big were the ones you saw? Wikipedia makes it seem like they don't get very big. About the size of a medium size bobcat or so.

#6179322 - 02/11/16 02:27 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
CRAnderson52 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Highland Village, Texas
Cool looking!

#6179324 - 02/11/16 02:28 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Never seen one, but have seen two Ocelots in the wild. Also in South Texas.

#6179367 - 02/11/16 03:19 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Pro Tracker

Duck_Hunter - I would probably venture to say that the one I saw 10 years ago was between 30-40 pounds. My dad was thinking the one(s) he saw were about the same in weigh. They were all bigger than a bobcat, that's for sure - but very long/slim bodies. The length of the tails were remarkable, as we both recall.

fouzman - We had a guy on our ranch that swears he saw an ocelot walk under his blind about 5 years ago. He watched it for a few minutes. He described it and then we looked it up and he was very excited to find out how rare the sighting was. No one had seen any since then.

We've also been seeing a lot of badgers in the last few years. Seems that once a decade some newer species come through the area that haven't been seen in the area in a while. The bright green jay like birds showed up about 8 years ago, and they have stayed and flourished!

About the Gulf Coats Jaguarundis:

This cat is larger than a normal domestic cat, but smaller than a puma. It has been compared to a weasel and otter. Their fur is of a dark-brown or grayish color because they reside in low-light areas such as forests and thick shrubs.[3][5] Their otter-like appearance is shown in their short legs and long, flat tails. The weasel-like appearance stems from having a small, flat head, short, round ears and a long slender body. Their body size can reach up to 77 centimeters and their tail up to 60 centimeters in length. Their average weight is about 6 kilograms.[4]

The Gulf Coast jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi cacomitli) is a subspecies of jaguarundi that ranges from southern Texas in the United States south to Veracruz and San Luis Potosí in eastern Mexico.[6] This cat looks like a large weasel or otter with a coat in one of three color phases: black, reddish-brown or brownish-gray.[7] Darker varieties tend to be found in darker places, like forests, than those who are lighter in hue, which prefer more open areas.[8]

#6179373 - 02/11/16 03:28 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
George, we saw those two Ocelots pretty frequently over a period of two years. Haven't seen them since. Guess they died. We also have quite a few badgers.

#6179383 - 02/11/16 03:33 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
More people have seen the black panthers that do not exist than the jaguarundis that do! roflmao

#6179444 - 02/11/16 04:26 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: D/FW, TX
True that... ^^^

#6179480 - 02/11/16 04:45 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Redskins4ever Offline
Light Foot

very nice pic

#6179906 - 02/11/16 09:19 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
BowsnRods Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bandera County
I have had the opportunity to see a jaguarundi in the wild about 20yrs ago on a ranch in Medina County. I was also told at that time do not mention my sighting to anyone, I guess keeping the secret for 20yrs was pretty darn good!

#6179977 - 02/11/16 10:26 PM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
TTUhunter4 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Interesting that you post an excerpt from an article that says they weigh on average 6kg (roughly 13 lbs), and in the same post you claim the ones you you and your dad saw were 30-40 lbs? That sure doesn't add up.

#6180186 - 02/12/16 08:11 AM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Pro Tracker

TTUHunter - didn't realize that was what the article said...I was just copying and pasting one of the first articles i found to give people some basic info. Seemed to be varying reports on their weight. On the TPWD site, it reads: "The Jaguarundi is a small, slender- bodied, unspotted cat, slightly larger than a domestic cat (7-22 pounds). Jaguarundis are characterized by slender, elongated bodies, small flattened heads, and long tails (11-24 inches) more reminiscent of an otter or weasel than a cat. Other characteristics include short legs standing at a height of 11 inches at the shoulder; and short, rounded, widely spaced ears. There are three color phases: black, reddish-brown and a brownish- gray."

The other TWPD site showing all the big cats of Texas says it is twice the size of a house cat. Another site mentions 25-35 pounds. So, not really sure what to say. I'm no expert. I've actually never weighed a cat before in my life, so maybe I'm off by ten pounds. It was bigger than a bobcat, as I mentioned...that's the closest wild cat I can make a reference to.

#6180267 - 02/12/16 09:03 AM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: BowsnRods]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I have had the opportunity to see a jaguarundi in the wild about 20yrs ago on a ranch in Medina County. I was also told at that time do not mention my sighting to anyone, I guess keeping the secret for 20yrs was pretty darn good!

I'd say you did good!

#6180389 - 02/12/16 10:05 AM Re: Anyone ever seen a jaguarundi in the wild? [Re: George - w/ Map My Ranch]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Quote:
Another site mentions 25-35 pounds.

If you do a google search you get summaries like these which can be a bit misleading if you don't actually click on the information...

Quote:
Jaguarundi v Dachshund - Carnivora
carnivoraforum.com › Carnivora › Zoology › Interspecific Conflict
Feb 15, 2012 - 16 posts - ‎7 authors
The jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi) is a small-sized wild cat native to .... are a little bigger, about 25-40 pounds, but typically 25-35 pounds.

What is really funny is that you have to click the link. The 25-35 lbs is actually referencing Straffordshire Bull Terrier weight average. http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9396346/7/

Or you find this...
Quote:
Small/Medium Wild Cats [Archive] - Eden's Inferno
edensinferno.com/archive/index.php/t-385.html
Apr 15, 2015 - Weight: 12-35 lbs (5.5-16 kg) Physical Description: .... Jaguarundi (puma yagouaroundi) ... Weight: 25-35 lbs (11.5-16 kg) Physical Description: ...

And when you click the link, you actually find out the weight is for an ocelot. http://edensinferno.com/archive/index.php/t-385.html

There are a couple of others, but when you go into the actual sites, the information is for something other than a jaguarundi.

I don't actually see any sites saying that jaguarundis get up to 35 lbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide