6248250 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6179175 - 02/11/16 12:29 PM I've reached a conclusion
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Livingston
I must be a bad person and even a worse hunter! I have heard it said a thousand times on so called hunting shows that " It doesn't matter if I kill anything, experiencing nature makes for a successful hunt and that's what you should enjoy. Well, maybe on opening morning and even a few weeks in, I'll agree to that. But at some point, I want to kill something! I want to put meat in my freezer and if possible, a nice rack on the ground. If I don't get the horns, then I am disappointed. If I get no meat in the freezer, then I have "Not" been successful! Doesn't mean I haven't had a good time, but I can see sun rises from my boat with a rod in my hand. Or go bird watching. I love to eat deer meat-squirrel,rabbit,duck,fish,dove and even frog legs. I do enjoy nature as well as anyone, but I love to pull the trigger! Anyone agree or am I being insensitive?

#6179189 - 02/11/16 12:39 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
rattler03 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
During deer season I get disappointed if I don't get a buck or enough meat, but a few weeks after the end of season every year I look back and think, "who cares, I hunted hard and enjoyed my time afield this season." So, yeah I get disappointed but that feeling doesn't linger, and it doesn't end up being what I think about when I look back on that hunting season. That said, I've always gotten at least 1 doe/cull for the freezer, so a deer-less season might make the disappointment a bigger issue for me.
-Robert Earl Keen

#6179202 - 02/11/16 12:49 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall
I don't hunt for the kill, I hunt for the chase and the memories. I would pick beef and chicken over venison every time so I don't care to fill my feeezer, and if I don't see a buck that I want to put on my wall I don't shoot.

I hunted some places for a long time and never saw anything I wanted to shoot, so i didnt, but I loved being out in the woods every time.

#6179214 - 02/11/16 12:54 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
I hunted harder and spent more time in the stand this year than I ever have before, and this was the first year that I went without pulling the trigger. I have been disappointed since thanks giving. It's making me wish November would come faster so I can have another go at it. It's also making me want to work harder to increase my chances. I enjoyed the time I spent out in the field but yes I'm upset and disappointed. I'm probably just a sore loser though.

#6179227 - 02/11/16 01:01 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Livingston
Oh,don't misunderstand me. I love the woods and hunting and all that goes with it.Its in my blood and has been for childhood. I guess my point is, I hunt for a reason and its to try to take game. I enjoy all the benefits that go with it, but I still like to be successful at the end of the season. Its why I am there. Otherwise, I would just take binoculars to the woods and observe.

#6179244 - 02/11/16 01:14 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
If you are on a bad lease or bought deer less property then yes, you should be disappointed and time to move on. And do more homework next time. I don't have to kill anything personally but I would like to see some deer and game at least. Camping at a state park is much cheaper if you have no game.

I have no experience with public land if that is what you are hunting.

If you see game that you can shoot but choose not to and then complain 3 weeks later that you didn't get anything, that is on the hunter.

Which are you referring to?

#6179250 - 02/11/16 01:20 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
rattler03 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
I don't have to pull the trigger to have a worthwhile hunting experience. At least for me, there are a lot more important factors involved in determining whether or not a hunt was "successful" than simply killing, or not killing, an animal.

Edited by rattler03 (02/11/16 01:22 PM)
-Robert Earl Keen

#6179259 - 02/11/16 01:25 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
jmh004 Offline
Bird Dog

I dont feel the need to pull the trigger. I just like being out in the woods. That excitment of "what will come oout next" is what keeps me going.

#6179277 - 02/11/16 01:43 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
I truly believe people go thru various phases in their hunting life and development. I did a quick query and found several websites that give a pretty good description on 5 various phases. The TPWD also had similar that listed 6.

1. Shooting stage
2. Limiting out stage
3. Trophy stage
4. Method stage
5. Sportsman stage
6. Give back stage

I reviewed my 52 years of deer hunting and I find these to be very true. My attitude and hunting has changed a lot in that timeline ...

~PMK~

#6179280 - 02/11/16 01:45 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

I never went through 1 and 2 but know plenty that are still there

#6179282 - 02/11/16 01:47 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: jshouse]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: jshouse
I don't hunt for the kill, I hunt for the chase and the memories. I would pick beef and chicken over venison every time so I don't care to fill my feeezer, and if I don't see a buck that I want to put on my wall I don't shoot.

I hunted some places for a long time and never saw anything I wanted to shoot, so i didnt, but I loved being out in the woods every time.

Finally, this explains a lot about the "Big" saga..... grin

#6179283 - 02/11/16 01:47 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

"I don't hunt to kill, but kill to have hunted."

Spring, Texas

#6179299 - 02/11/16 01:53 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: stxranchman]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Finally, this explains a lot about the "Big" saga..... grin

haha, I assure you, he is (still) one I want to put on my wall, I just need the chance up

#6179318 - 02/11/16 02:15 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
kdkane1971 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
You should read...

He speaks about very much enjoying the kill...and I couldn't agree more. I enjoy it immensely, and although I don't have to kill everything I see, I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy it.

#6179326 - 02/11/16 02:30 PM Re: I've reached a conclusion [Re: Deersteaks]
TexasKC Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston & Lexington, Texas
I went 17 years between buck kills and still never had a bad day in the woods. I don't crave venison, but I do crave being where deer roam. Just love the hunt, not necessarily the kill. Personal opinion here. Not judging anyone who likes venison and other wild game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide