Forums46
Topics537,938
Posts9,730,877
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174662 02/08/16 08:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am neutral at this point for one season for all weapons. Bag limits won't change one bit for anyone. Your lease or if you own the land will not change their bag limits for a longer season(if you have set 1 buck and 1 doe for example). You just get longer season. Landowner can still dictate when you start, when you stop and how many deer you can shoot. That has not ever changed unless the landowner wants it. The one big concern for me will be the pressure on the mature buck population with many bucks getting killed due to the longer season. A lot of those bucks live for an extra year or two due length of season now. I see one season happening in the next couple of years though. Choice of weapon might not change for many with the season length who have a preference already.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174691 02/08/16 08:42 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: therancher

There is a huge difference in hunting quiet woods and undisturbed deer on feeding patterns transitioning to pre-rut than hunting with a bow during rifle season.
Introducing hundreds of thousands more hunters into the equation with rifles tends to make a difference. That should be obvious.

Many other states all over the country have traditionally had long bow seasons and short rifle seasons with no problem. Texas has had the separate bow season in October for over 50 years. It wasn't set up to "sell equipment" (though allowing crossbows recently was). It did not take a day from the rifle season - which has always begun at the beginning of November. It has never been "divisive". Ever. In fact, no one has had a single issue with it until relatively recently.

It's just another grab being pushed by folks who don't want to do what it takes to bowhunt. Just like so many other trends in hunting and in general to make things as easy as possible. Texas already has one of the longest rifle seasons in the nation. We need to leave bow season alone.

I haven't seen what you are talking about here. All three of my places (including the low fenced ranch) are under MLD and are hunted by both bow and rifle hunters. Three separate regions: hill country, south Texas, and west Texas plains.

Gun and bow hunting simultaneously from October 1 through the end of feb. I have found over the past 15 years that gun hunting in October doesn't make any significant change in normal deer behavior in any of those three regions.

I always encourage my hunters (both gun and bow) to go for trophies in October. They pattern so much better then, and it makes no difference if guns are fired then. On all three ranches we have seen several mature bucks be missed by rifle fire and walk right back in to the same feeder within a few minutes.

Rifle hunters are getting screwed by the bow only season under standard season dates.

I personally think all deer seasons should start October 1st and go through the end of February. I have no problem managing my populations, and hunters are allowed much more flexibility and opportunity.

Ain't nobody getting "screwed".

Just folks wanting a bigger pie who don't want to bowhunt because it's harder. Everybody wants it easier.

So they say stuff like "it makes no difference" when even a little bit of common sense would show it makes a big difference. Introducing hundreds of thousands more hunters shooting rifles would make a huge difference.

If you want to take the position that you want a bigger pie for more folks to have it easier, then just own it.

Where I have the issue is when folks say it doesn't make a difference or "its all the same". It's not. Bowhunting is harder - that's why both participation and success rates are so much lower.

The extra month was given over 50 years ago solely for folks willing to accept the added challenge. Again, no one has ever had an issue with it until lately.

Lol!! You are now the spokesman for all hunters pertaining to the bow season set 50 years ago? Funny, I see you must of missed a few opinions based on what I've read on this thread so far..... roflmao

But seriously, I agree with therancher. Our experience with MLD hunting has been the same. We actually don't have the mistakes made on younger deer because we have ample time to hunt when weather and life gets in the way of plans and schedule.

I do not believe based on feed back from bowhunters that gun hunting will ruin hunting for them. If gun hunters move like tanks around the battlefield according to you NP, then that gives the quiet bowhunter a advantage, not disadvantage.

Bottom line, deer/hog numbers are continuing to increase while hunter numbers continue to decrease. Don't be surprised to see a longer season. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/08/16 08:45 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174693 02/08/16 08:43 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
You see the bow and muzzle-loader seasons going away in the next couple of years? I can only hope, but what makes you think that?

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: stxranchman] #6174701 02/08/16 08:47 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I am neutral at this point for one season for all weapons. Bag limits won't change one bit for anyone. Your lease or if you own the land will not change their bag limits for a longer season(if you have set 1 buck and 1 doe for example). You just get longer season. Landowner can still dictate when you start, when you stop and how many deer you can shoot. That has not ever changed unless the landowner wants it. The one big concern for me will be the pressure on the mature buck population with many bucks getting killed due to the longer season. A lot of those bucks live for an extra year or two due length of season now. I see one season happening in the next couple of years though. Choice of weapon might not change for many with the season length who have a preference already.

Nailed it...

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174705 02/08/16 08:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Making one season is making it "go away" for practical purposes.

Y'all can try to sell that deer aren't affected by rifle season and wouldn't be affected by an earlier rifle season if you want, but it's BS. Anyone who hunts whitetail deer knows travel and behavior patterns change when hundreds of thousands of hunters hit the woods and the rifles start going off.

There's no reason to do it other than just make it easier for folks for no good reason other than to make it easier for folks.

Can't you just be satisfied with two plus months the way it has always been?

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 08:53 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174707 02/08/16 08:52 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Always the Authoritative on all things Hunting Pitchfork...Didn't you realize that.. rofl roflmao

STX pretty much nailed it IMHO...

If they make that Season Longer I hope it's on the tail end FYI banana

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174731 02/08/16 09:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
As I noted earlier, nothing has divided the deer hunting community more than creating separate seasons based on hunting methods.

Let's hope the state wildlife agencies and product manufacturers don't find a way to do the same with fishing.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174732 02/08/16 09:09 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Y'all can try to sell that deer aren't affected by rifle season and wouldn't be affected by an earlier rifle season if you want, but it's BS. Anyone who hunts whitetail deer knows travel and behavior patterns change when hundreds of thousands of hunters hit the woods and the rifles start going off.

There's no reason to do it other than just make it easier for folks for no good reason other than to make it easier for folks.

I think the one you should ask that question is TPWD. They are the ones bringing this into the discussion of proposed changes.

And if your wildlife numbers continue to increase and hunter numbers decrease wouldn't logic tell you to make it easier to harvest the game?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174749 02/08/16 09:16 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I don't see much point to the muzzle-loader season, but I have one and would likely take advantage of it. Other than no quick second shot, it is pretty much rifle hunting, though.

I like the fact that bow and rifle are split, even if it means I'm out $$$$ for having to own both types of equipment.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174752 02/08/16 09:20 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

Just repeating we want it easier doesn't make it so. It sounds like you are the one who wants it easier.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174753 02/08/16 09:21 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
As for a single season, we could compromise and make it one week longer at the start and at the end. In the Hill Country, the rut starts on October 31 or thereabouts, so rifle hunters miss most of it.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6174755 02/08/16 09:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

I think the one you should ask that question is TPWD. They are the ones bringing this into the discussion of proposed changes.

And if your wildlife numbers continue to increase and hunter numbers decrease wouldn't logic tell you to make it easier to harvest the game?

I think all this was brought up due to TXDan's post about it. He hates bowhunters.
Harvest #s are fine. If they aren't fine at some point, increase the bag limits - which has always been the method in managing harvest numbers.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 09:27 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174756 02/08/16 09:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: postoak

Just repeating we want it easier doesn't make it so. It sounds like you are the one who wants it easier.

rolleyes

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174770 02/08/16 09:31 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

Your words, you think bowhunting would be harder in rifle season. IOW, you want things easier for you.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174783 02/08/16 09:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Your words, you think bowhunting would be harder in rifle season. IOW, you want things easier for you.

No, I just don't want them ruined or affected for me to make it easier for folks who don't want to work as hard as me.

Believe it or not, quiet woods with few folks around is important to many who bowhunt. I know that's not easy for the "just gotta shoot something as easy as possible" folks to relate to.

Which is why one season will probably come to pass - since most folks want their deer and want it easy.

It's stupid for a guy who wants to rifle hunt only to be arguing with a bowhunter about wanting it easy. But that's the kind of stuff you run into when folks want to push an agenda.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 09:39 PM.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174786 02/08/16 09:39 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

I think all this was brought up due to TXDan's post about it. He hates bowhunters.
Harvest #s are fine. If they aren't fine at some point, increase the bag limits - which has always been the method in managing harvest numbers.

Yes it was TXDan expanding the conversation to why not make it a 3 mo season all weapons.... which I said I would vote for. I do believe this is the direction we are heading for the reasons I just mentioned. TPWD continues to add more hunting days by adding more weapon days.

And being a bowhunter myself, I think your wrong about how important it is for the woods to stay quiet. Case in point: I hunt with other forum members in Northern Missouri every first week in Novemeber, bowhhunting. This also coinsides with the youth gun opener. We hear shots going off periodically all around us. It never spooks the deer we're looking at and we have arrowed many P & Y bucks during this hunt.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174788 02/08/16 09:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Whatever you say PP.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174804 02/08/16 09:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
when Texas harvest numbers actually cause a decline in Whitetails then season specific matters.

Many states have short rifle seasons because they can't handle the higher harvest numbers associated with rifles. Nothing more nothing less

TX has the largest harvest numbers in the nation. Just fine overall. No need to from a biology/harvest # standpoint to expand an already liberally long rifle season.

hence the expansion of the MLD program, and the State's creation of the program. The only countries that couldn't handle a simplified all weapon season are already archery only. Same with TX public properties.

It's like baiting for ducks if you have to stop at 6...why does it matter. Oh because it's an out dated law ment to help stop market gunning. Feel the same way about Texas seasons especially since majority of land is private and landowner sets the property's total limits on whitetails for the most part.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174808 02/08/16 09:51 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Why would someone want to restrict another persons hunting options on private land? The number of deer harvested (maybe)..... But the weapon used to kill them?? I guess I am missing something or just don't get it. Just because 50 years ago they implemented a bow season to allow a doe harvest does not mean it's still a good idea.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Erny] #6174810 02/08/16 09:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Erny
Why would someone want to restrict another persons hunting options on private land? The number of deer harvested (maybe)..... But the weapon used to kill them?? I guess I am missing something or just don't get it. Just because 50 years ago they implemented a bow season to allow a doe harvest does not mean it's still a good idea.

It is there as a separate opportunity/chance to have an earlier start for those who are willing to accept the challenges and range limitations of bowhunting. Simple as that.

NO ONE IS RESTRICTED. ALL MAY PARTICIPATE.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 09:54 PM.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6174821 02/08/16 10:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
when Texas harvest numbers actually cause a decline in Whitetails then season specific matters.

Many states have short rifle seasons because they can't handle the higher harvest numbers associated with rifles. Nothing more nothing less

TX has the largest harvest numbers in the nation. Just fine overall. No need to from a biology/harvest # standpoint to expand an already liberally long rifle season.

hence the expansion of the MLD program, and the State's creation of the program. The only countries that couldn't handle a simplified all weapon season are already archery only. Same with TX public properties.

It's like baiting for ducks if you have to stop at 6...why does it matter. Oh because it's an out dated law ment to help stop market gunning. Feel the same way about Texas seasons especially since majority of land is private and landowner sets the property's total limits on whitetails for the most part.

Many feel as you do. It doesn't matter to many (maybe most) as long as the greatest chance for an animal hitting the ground is provided. Let it all hang out. I get it. I have for quite some time.

Respect for added challenge and tradition are pretty outdated concepts.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174823 02/08/16 10:02 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
We can't participate with our weapons of choice. Shooting a deer with a bow means nothing to me.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Erny] #6174829 02/08/16 10:05 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Erny

The same type of person that wants to tell how and where you should hunt, or whether or not your hunt was a "real" hunt. The "my way is the only way" type of fella.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174830 02/08/16 10:05 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W

Agree with NP particularly on small low fence lease's. May not be the same on a large acreage lease with heavy deer population.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174837 02/08/16 10:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
We can't participate with our weapons of choice. Shooting a deer with a bow means nothing to me.

You can't participate in Feb-Sept either. Or beyond legal bag limits. Or at night. Or with a .22. Or with a machine gun. Or.....Or.....Or.....

It's your right not to care about bowhunting. Right now, it's not your right to infringe on the October bowhunting season by hunting with a rifle. I just want to keep it that way because I do care about bowhunting. Many agree with me. We may not be even the majority, but we do want it kept separate.

But, you don't care about that of course. Because it's all about what you want. Got two months, but want three. Those who don't like it or are affected can pound sand.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 10:15 PM.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide