Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
The other bird still in season #6170189 02/05/16 03:41 AM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
Can't get the time to be able to travel far enough to Quail hunt right now, so I am hunting mud birds again. Dash had a great Snipe hunt today. Plenty of them in north Texas still.

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6170363 02/05/16 01:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Does he point them?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: bill oxner] #6170541 02/05/16 03:31 PM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Does he point them?

Bill, I think you ask me that question about once a year to every other year as long as we have been on the forum. wink

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Conditions have to be just right for pointing dogs to be used pointing. I hunted them in Colorado where the birds naturally held in tall cover and could easily be pointed and in fact where holding so well they would have been difficult to hunt without a dog. On one public location in Texas after much hunting pressure by others before me, I hunted a cut flooded field where the birds ended up moving to thicker more upland cover nearby where they would hold for my dog. On a repeat hunt at the location they did the same thing again. And I have hunted them on some corp property where most birds flushed long as usual in a bare wet field, but some birds would be found in patches of briars and under bushes and such located within the field and would hold for my dog. And just last year Dash pointed some Snipe during a Quail hunt in matagorda county when we were hunting the transition area between upland and marsh. But 90% of the time I would say a Snipe has more fear of a dog than a man and will flush long given the chance. I use my dog heeled to my side as I walk and sent for retrieves with only occasional releases to hunt pockets of taller cover. Snipe hunting with a dog will save an enormous amount of time that would be spent looking for lost birds, not to mention not losing any birds.

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6170644 02/05/16 04:45 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
I think Bill is prejudice against short haired red dogs laugh

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6170665 02/05/16 05:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sometimes I forget what I've posted.

Also, sometimes I forget what I have posted.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: bill oxner] #6170783 02/05/16 06:17 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F

<chuckle> ...nicely played Bill!

[Linked Image]
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6170976 02/05/16 08:58 PM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
That's ok Bill. You may be old, but I am getting old too as evidenced by the fall I made last week. I broke my head and it was a bit western. Stepped from one boulder to another while coming down a bluff, leading foot slid, reached with the gun on my way down to stop me from falling in. My hand slipped off the gun on the boulder, then I hit my arm on the boulder, spun me, hit the side of my head on the shotgun receiver on the rock, cut my brow with the top lever. Heard a crack so loud I thought the gun went off, saw stars, a high pitched sound in my head, then white. Amazing how much can happen in a second. Dash was off hunting away from me, but he must have come to my aid and jumped right right in to guard me as he was at my side when I came to my senses. Rolled around for bit holding my head and cussing. Then both of us limping went back to hunting for a couple hours. Good news from the CT scan two days ago was no surgery needed. I put on the reading glasses in the Snipe picture to hide the black and swelling that I still have. People keep telling me I'm too old hunt hunt the way I do. But then most of those people were sitting on a couch watching TV while I was hunting when they said that. I got about 4 more lives left I figure, so I am not changing a thing. When I retire in a year or two... Katy bar the door!

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: bill oxner] #6171178 02/05/16 11:19 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

hell, I forget what I went to the fridge for

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6174153 02/08/16 03:09 PM
T
txbb14 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
good looking vizsla! how old is Dash?

Gig'em
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6175438 02/09/16 05:26 AM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
No kidding! How come I can remember every word to a song from 1964, but can't remember why I'm in the kitchen. Dash is a great looking dog.

Last edited by slow944; 02/09/16 05:26 AM.

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: slow944] #6175561 02/09/16 01:45 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: slow944
No kidding! How come I can remember every word to a song from 1964, but can't remember why I'm in the kitchen. Dash is a great looking dog.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6175569 02/09/16 01:49 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
John
I think the older we get, the more accident pron we become. Maybe it just hurts more as we age.
When I grow up I want to be like Bill, as its just around the corner for me.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6177807 02/10/16 07:50 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Sorry for your fall I find my feet tangling with stuff all the time that's part of the aging process I guess but it sucks!!!!!

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6178956 02/11/16 03:45 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/c...lenge-6822122.p

At cursory glance, which is all most people would take if they bothered to look at all, the reach of winter-browned coastal prairie appeared a mostly monotonous sweep of emptiness.

Maybe they'd notice the thin layer of water glimmering in the ankle-high carpet of grasses or the yards of mud rimming a slash of inches-deep open water pooled in natural depression in the otherwise seemingly featureless flatland. But probably not.

It's certain not one in a thousand or maybe 100,000 gazing at the "pasture" on a chilly, windy February morning would see the seemingly vacant, lifeless landscape as an animated freshwater wetland rich in wild potential.

But Martin Bethke and I did.

"Looks perfect for snipe," Bethke said as we shrugged into hunting vests and unsheathed shotguns held in the rack on the front of the ATV that had transported us into the middle of a sprawling prairie/marsh wetland complex in Matagorda County.

It was, and much more. The morning of snipe hunting proved, as it always does, the multi-faceted richness of experience and insights enjoyed by the handful of wingshooters who pursue what is one of the most cryptic, challenging, delicious and almost wholly ignored migratory game birds.

Outdoors
Outdoors report: Feb. 11

Patrick Beverly (2) tries to defend against Draymond Green (23) during the second half of the game between the Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on Tuesday, February 9, 2016. The Warriors won 123-110.
As Rockets' slide continues, so does search for answers

Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard (0) is fouled by Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard (12) as he drives to the basket during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Portland, Ore., Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016. The Blazers won the game 116-103. (AP Photo/Steve Dykes)
'Broken' Rockets limp into All-Star break with loss to Blazers

Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley (2) has some words with Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard (0) during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Portland, Ore., Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016. The Blazers won 116-103. (AP Photo/Steve Dykes)
Rockets stumble into All-Star break with loss to Trail Blazers

FRISCO, TX - FEBRUARY 10: Alex Morgan #13 of USA scores a goal in the first minute of play against Wendy Acosta #20 of Costa Rica during the 2016 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying at Toyota Stadium on February 10, 2016 in Frisco, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Morgan sets quick tone for U.S. women in Olympic qualifying

That snipe hunting occurs on shallow freshwater wetlands - some of the most vibrant, varied, rich wildlife habitat in the world - is part of that. But the bird itself is simply fascinating.

Wilson's, to be precise

Snipe - officially, Wilson's snipe - are one of the most abundant of the scores of species of shorebirds found in North America. Most recent population estimates indicate the continental population of Wilson's snipe is around 2 million, a number that has held steady for at least the past 40 years. Snipe and woodcock, their forest-dwelling cousins, are the only two shorebirds designated as game birds.

[Linked Image]

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6179052 02/11/16 04:59 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Would love to try Wilson's Snipe hunting someday. Good article. Concerning the age thing, I'm there and quickly finding that "Old age ain't for wimps." Dove hunting in October torn up a knee just getting off a 4 wheeler, deer hunting torn rotator cuff trying to left a deer! Waiting for turkey season to see what I can tear up then!

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6179260 02/11/16 07:25 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Sniper John,

I was hunting quail in a swampy area on the north end of a lake not long ago and flushed about half a dozen woodcock. I've never hunted them, didn't know if they were even in season, so I didn't shoot.

How are they as table fare?

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6179263 02/11/16 07:29 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Woodcock is good eaten RT! I have it several times and it's tasty bird

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6179396 02/11/16 09:45 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Great pics. Glad you are ok.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6181508 02/13/16 05:30 AM
S
SaintsReturn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
great picture with your pup!

Re: The other bird still in season [Re: Sniper John] #6184580 02/15/16 08:55 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Does he point them?

Bill, I think you ask me that question about once a year to every other year as long as we have been on the forum. wink

Conditions have to be just right for pointing dogs to be used pointing. I hunted them in Colorado where the birds naturally held in tall cover and could easily be pointed and in fact where holding so well they would have been difficult to hunt without a dog. On one public location in Texas after much hunting pressure by others before me, I hunted a cut flooded field where the birds ended up moving to thicker more upland cover nearby where they would hold for my dog. On a repeat hunt at the location they did the same thing again. And I have hunted them on some corp property where most birds flushed long as usual in a bare wet field, but some birds would be found in patches of briars and under bushes and such located within the field and would hold for my dog. And just last year Dash pointed some Snipe during a Quail hunt in matagorda county when we were hunting the transition area between upland and marsh. But 90% of the time I would say a Snipe has more fear of a dog than a man and will flush long given the chance. I use my dog heeled to my side as I walk and sent for retrieves with only occasional releases to hunt pockets of taller cover. Snipe hunting with a dog will save an enormous amount of time that would be spent looking for lost birds, not to mention not losing any birds.

You're as bad as Oxner. You can't remember that he can't remember. I'm over 70 and understand things like this.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide