475837 Topics
6242361 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6169548 - 02/04/16 12:40 PM FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
We had a big scare this morning. One of our dogs,. Raiden, was lame this morning in his back legs. We noticed that he had trouble getting up on our wood floor yesterday, but thought it was more funny that his feet kept slipping and never thought that there might be a problem. That was a HUGE MISTAKE that could have led to his death!!!!

Tick Paralysis in Dogs | petMD

We took Raiden in to the vet and he did a full exam, including an x ray of his spine and hips. The x ray showed that everything was good. The vet feels it's tick paralysis caused by the saliva in some ticks. The paralysis acts quickly over a couple of days and starts with his balance and legs. Then it works into his internal organs, and they dog dies. From what we are learning, it happens in days!!!!

The Vet gave him huge amounts of steroids and antibiotics this morning. Now, several hours later, he seems to be responding and is now able to sit up and even stand a little. He is still very shaky and he went back down right after getting up, but we are encouraged that the medicine is working.

This shook me up and I wanted to share with everyone in case you ever notice your dog losing his balance and/or quickly goes lame. There is very little time to act once this happens!!!!

#6169567 - 02/04/16 12:54 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
good to know and keep a watchful eye out for any of these symptoms!

~PMK~

#6169618 - 02/04/16 01:32 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
Baylor_Bears Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Austin
I had a lab that passed in 2014 that showed the exact symptoms. Was placed on anti-biotics and steroids. Got meds on a Monday, by Wednesday she was doing much better. She passes away the next Monday. Keep a close eye on him. I pray it ends better than my bout with it.

#6169619 - 02/04/16 01:34 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Sounds like some nasty stuff. Will pray that your pup pulls through

#6169660 - 02/04/16 02:13 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: PMK]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: PMK
good to know and keep a watchful eye out for any of these symptoms!

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6169680 - 02/04/16 02:29 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: Baylor_Bears]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears
I had a lab that passed in 2014 that showed the exact symptoms. Was placed on anti-biotics and steroids. Got meds on a Monday, by Wednesday she was doing much better. She passes away the next Monday. Keep a close eye on him. I pray it ends better than my bout with it.

Sorry to hear that. Did you find any tics on her? Did you give her anything to kill the tics? We where told that we should start seeing improvement fairly quickly, and to continue giving him the steroids and antibiotics for a week. Where you on a similar plan?

We are worried sick about this.

#6169696 - 02/04/16 02:46 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
GimmeABuck Offline
Tracker

Terrible, thanks for sharing. Fingers crossed that Raiden recovers quickly and fully!

#6169820 - 02/04/16 04:28 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Sorry to hear that. Did you find any tics on her? Did you give her anything to kill the tics? We where told that we should start seeing improvement fairly quickly, and to continue giving him the steroids and antibiotics for a week. Where you on a similar plan?

We are worried sick about this.

Never found any ticks, but vet said they could have come off and found a new host. Yes, we had a 10 day supply of steroids and I believe it was a 2 week supply of antibiotics. Nel stopped eating on Friday about mid-afternoon, and by Saturday night you could just look in her eyes and tell it was the end.

#6170331 - 02/05/16 06:21 AM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
decook Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, TX USA
I'm sorry for the both of you. Eddie I hope it works out for you.

#6171114 - 02/05/16 04:29 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
Eddie,
Glad y'all figured the tick disease out in time. Did they tell you what tick disease it was. There are a few. In 2012 I went though it with my Vizsla Blaze with Ehrlichiosis. It is a cruel disease and I suspect a lot of dogs die from it without the owners ever knowing what it was. I am proactive on the tick diseases these days due to the prevalence of it in some of the areas I hunt in Oklahoma. Doxycyclene is one of a couple antibiotics I carry in my dog first aid kit. If a tick get's missed or I suspect a relapse with Blaze, I go ahead and start the dog on a round of doxy on my own.

My dog also survived her fight BTW, but it was by a miracle. Unfortunately she did lose her vision because of it. I kept a diary of the whole ordeal which I shared on the forum.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3005773/
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3504343/
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3537100/
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3011983/

"Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. Oh! The places you'll go!" ~ Dr. Seuss

#6171278 - 02/05/16 06:27 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
The Point Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Rowlett, TX
Did the vet or you find a tick or a tick bite? That certainly could be the problem, however......

Something else you should be aware of.......back problems due to slippery floors. I have seen dogs that have nerve problems which are caused by floors that are too slick. It won't show up in an x-ray. Their back legs start slipping around and a nerve gets pinched and then the back legs just go limp. The dog starts struggling and in no time it just collapses, and you think they are going to die right there.

Once you get the dog off the slick floor it takes about an hour or two for them to show signs that they feel a little better.

Maybe your dog has been on those floors for years with no problems. Maybe the pads were not sticking to the floor as they were slicker from wear, or the dog is getting older or some other reason. You might consider putting some rugs on the floor. As I said, I have seen this more than once, so I would be careful putting the dog back on those floors.

#6171740 - 02/06/16 07:44 AM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: The Point]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
I had asked which tick disease this was. It is actually called Tick Paralysis.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/nervous_system/tick_paralysis/overview_of_tick_paralysis.html

#6172333 - 02/06/16 06:47 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
Sherpa Dog Offline
Woodsman

Loc: NB, TX
That's some scary stuff!! Especially being that one of my V's has adverse reactions to steroids.

Sniper John- Thanks for keeping a very good diary on your Blaze's illness. It was very touching to read & I almost couldn't finish it but I am glad you kept it to educate the rest of us..

Eddie- I hope your Raiden is doing better & recovering nicely. Please keep us posted

#6173881 - 02/07/16 11:33 PM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
drjoe Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Get heart worm tested once a year. Great screening tool for the ehrlichias and lymes up

Edited by drjoe (02/07/16 11:34 PM)

#6174415 - 02/08/16 11:50 AM Re: FYI, Tick Paralysis in your Dog [Re: EddieWalker]
Pro Tracker

Any update Eddie?

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide