Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks #6168293 02/03/16 10:13 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I've been watching the TV show on Sportsman's Channel called "Long Range Reality"

about 95% of the competitors are using a chassis system for their stocks.

Are these chassis stocks the future of long-range rifle shooting????

I like them....... kinda.....but they seem "cold" compared to the "warm" McMillan or Manners.

So, what's up wid dat??? confused2

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168328 02/03/16 10:27 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Ha...and the McMillan's and Manner's seem "cold" to me compared to say Hathcock's wood on his Winchester M70...It's all a matter of perspective...nothing is ever constant but change.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168333 02/03/16 10:30 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
The chassis are more expensive, they've seen them on TV, etc. etc..

It is possible but unlikely that the guns with chassis stocks shoot better than graphite or glass.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Earl] #6168334 02/03/16 10:30 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Earl
Ha...and the McMillan's and Manner's seem "cold" to me compared to say Hathcock's wood on his Winchester M70...It's all a matter of perspective...nothing is ever constant but change.

Yep.

Chassis systems make sense. They don't look too bad, either. If it's not wood, doesn't make much difference.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168345 02/03/16 10:34 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I AGREE ON WOOD

REASON I BOUGHT MY SAKO M85 BAVARIAN CARBINE. LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: charlesb] #6168362 02/03/16 10:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: charlesb

It is possible but unlikely that the guns with chassis stocks shoot better than graphite or glass.

Chassis can cost the exact same money as a composite plus bottom metal. But, yes, can cost more.

Chassis stocked rifles do not shoot any better. Put the same barreled action in either stock and it will shoot the same, provided the action is equally locked in, and the barrel always remains free-floated in any position.

As long as it takes to get a Manners of McMillan I doubt they are, or ever will be hurting for business.

Chassis vs. composite is nothing more that personal preference. I prefer composite, but I have no ill will towards chassis.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: charlesb] #6168369 02/03/16 10:48 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

I wanted to go Manners or McMillan but the wait was too long. Never could find something in stock for my Savage. Also base cost for them were $500 to $600 plus bottom metal for mag $130 and up inched the price up. I decided to go with a MDT Chassis starting at $450 plus a AR butt stock and the chassis was in stock. Chassis was ready to drop action in and no work to it at all.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: J.G.] #6168746 02/04/16 02:30 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Chassis can cost the exact same money as a composite plus bottom metal. But, yes, can cost more.

Chassis stocked rifles do not shoot any better. Put the same barreled action in either stock and it will shoot the same, provided the action is equally locked in, and the barrel always remains free-floated in any position.

As long as it takes to get a Manners of McMillan I doubt they are, or ever will be hurting for business.

Chassis vs. composite is nothing more that personal preference. I prefer composite, but I have no ill will towards chassis.

I think the big reason you are seeing a lot of chassis is because of how easy it is to switch some parts from your AR15 to the chassis. Lights, bipods, a lot of the stuff that our snipers run on there AR15's will mount to the rails on a chassis and give the same feel. Plus, a lot of them fold, making storing and transport very easy. I prefer the feel of composite, chassis don't seem to fit me very well

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168768 02/04/16 02:41 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In addition to the modularity, they seem like they would be very adjustable to fit just about any size shooter. I would like to handle one and see for myself.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168813 02/04/16 03:12 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168902 02/04/16 04:01 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I AGREE ON WOOD

REASON I BOUGHT MY SAKO M85 BAVARIAN CARBINE. LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel

Don't make me do it bro.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6168922 02/04/16 04:20 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I AGREE ON WOOD...LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel

FIFY, seems sig worthy, Buzz! rofl

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169016 02/04/16 08:26 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think part of it has to do with the popularity of the Ruger Precision rifle. You can buy that rifle off the shelf, put a scope on it and be shooting in 1000 yard competitions. Hundreds of rings available in multiple positions on the top rail, you can also change with hand guard, grip, and stock with hundreds of other options. I'm sure drop in triggers will be out for it soon. It's a very accurate modular gun that takes AR parts. You don't have to change the entire stock if it doesn't fit you perfect.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169225 02/04/16 02:41 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I still cant decide on fiberglass vs chassis. If long range competition shooters are moving to chassis systems, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better.

I've been cycling for a long time and over the years I've seen all kinds of trends. Frame material, wheel sizes, etc. Typically whatever pro racers are using and what is featured in magazines is what the general crowd gravitates to. I tend to gravitate towards practicality. I ride a steel and titanium for mountain bike....because they are strong materials that can take a beating. I ride carbon fiber for road bike....because it is lightweight and rigid.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169262 02/04/16 03:02 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Once you pay to inlet and bottom metal a glass stock the chassis are not anymore expensive and sometimes cheaper.

6 one, half dozen to another.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: jeepercreeper] #6169309 02/04/16 03:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
I still cant decide on fiberglass vs chassis. If long range competition shooters are moving to chassis systems, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better.

There are plenty of cases where they run what they are running because they are sponsored by that company. A guy might like NF better, but if Vortex wants to give him a Razor, he's going to use a Razor. I've seen all brands of chassis and composite stocks for years. It is personal preference and sponsorship that determines what people use. One is not "better" than the other.

I can see why the military would gravitate toward chassis. They get to mount an NV or thermal in front of their day optic when operating at night. Add an IR designator for calling in air strikes, and the chassis works well.

But hunting and competing, it is Ford vs Chevy.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169340 02/04/16 03:43 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Just personal preference but I like the chassis systems as they are easier to get behind as they are more easily adjustable. Also they resemble my AR platforms so easy to transition.

I own a traditional Over/Under along with semi shotguns but have yet to pick up a regular stock bolt action for some reason.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169487 02/04/16 05:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Texas Dan] #6169497 02/04/16 05:57 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.

The Ruger Americans I handled were like that.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Texas Dan] #6169509 02/04/16 06:07 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

One of my hunting mentors used to make his local gun shop order the same shotgun over and over until he found one with the best wood. I really don't think any shop would do that anymore.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Big Fitz] #6169576 02/04/16 07:02 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
In addition to the modularity, they seem like they would be very adjustable to fit just about any size shooter. I would like to handle one and see for myself.

one benefit I see of chassis is ability to adjust length of pull and cheek weld

what chassis have you looked at ?

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Texas Dan] #6169671 02/04/16 08:22 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: jeepercreeper] #6169749 02/04/16 09:30 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.

Yep. Plastic stocks are not the same thing. And sure, a nice wood stock is great, but I'm clumsy. I don't think I could take a beautiful wood stock to the range without dinging it up, much less out to hunt with it.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169828 02/04/16 10:33 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I like my wood.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Mickey Moose] #6169847 02/04/16 10:59 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: &#8594Mickey Moose&#8592
I like my wood.

Going to let that one lay there. offtopic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread