Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6171242 02/06/16 12:01 AM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I paid a shop $50 to transfer a rifle I sold and thought that was a fair price. To be honest I would've been OK if they charged more. I had never been there before and they knew I would probably never be back. They're in business to sell their own inventory, not handle my gun sale.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6171448 02/06/16 02:14 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
bigjoe8565 I'm a FFL that works out of my shop/garage. I am approved for Gunbroker,Buds,and a few others. I charge $20 for a transfer, and $5 each additional item,if you pick them up the same time. I also offer "after hours" pickup that most storefronts don't offer. MOST of the time it's a short process of receiving,inspection,logging,calling/emailing,log in FBI,and complete the transfer. Then... sometimes, miss the delivery, go pick up the package, return home,then complete the process. Then sometimes you have to move family things around to be home to receive a package. Or so a customer can come over and pick up their firearm.
I'm in Mesquite, off Galloway, near the Arts Center.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: TDK] #6171671 02/06/16 10:12 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TDK

The point I'm trying to make is everyone values their time differently. If you don't like it you have the freedom to spend your money elsewhere, but don't get on an internet forum and rant. Its also not your place to tell someone what they should charge.

And here I thought this was a public forum for people to share ideas, thoughts, and information. I guess this is not that kind of place and we should all keep it all to ourselves. (/sarcasm) Some people don't have to share, others don't have to respond. The market determines the price for goods and services. The consumer is half the market, so yes, as a consumer it is his place to tell someone what they consider a fair price. What the seller does with that information is up to them.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6173925 02/08/16 10:01 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
It is a free country, I don't have time to whine about high FFL transfer fees, CTD and such. I just don't give those entities my business.

I also don't understand why people pay Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. the money they charge for firearms when they can save serious money purchasing online. But many many people do. I've also heard people say there isn't much savings if any purchasing online when you factor everything in. I say bull. In August of 2014 I purchased a Ruger SR9C online. My cost was $415.00 including TT&L. Add $5.00 in gas for the drive to my FFL and I spent $420.00. It would have cost $519.59 at Cabela's. Add $5.00 for gas driving to Cabela's and I paid a little more than $100.00 less purchasing online.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6173938 02/08/16 11:36 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
A lot of us like to buy local when we can, so the firearms merchant will be there for us when we want to look at different models, need help with a problem, and have ready access to accessories and ammo etc..

A lot more of us simply do not want to have to wait.

If I am thinking of buying something that is mass-produced, has lots of plastic and possesses no particular character that distinguishes one from another, I might buy online. A "tactical" weapon, or a plastic-stocked economy bolt gun would be good examples of guns that I might buy online.

If I am looking to buy a fine, quality firearm though, I will want to examine the gun first, see what the wood looks like, check the workmanship, the fit and the finish before I throw down my hard-earned cash. This is one reason why I encourage local gun merchants to primarily concentrate on stocking quality firearms. - You can identify merchants who are on a downhill slide because they will have more plastic than wood in their racks.

Truth be told though, if the gun is something that I am really interested in, I am one of those who will pay a bit extra simply so that I won't have to wait.

One thing that I simply have too much class and self-respect to do though, it to go look at guns at the local gun store, then go home and order what I have chosen online. I consider that kind of behavior to be chicken bok-bok in the extreme, and I look down upon those who engage in it.

Notice how hobby shops are hard to find these days? - That's because mail-order outfits put most of them out of business long before there was ever such a thing as the internet. And guess what happened after that? - Hobbies in general went into a serious decline and have not recovered since.

The same thing is starting to happen to gun shops today, with rapidly shrinking mark-ups. - Something to consider if you like having a local gun store.

Last edited by charlesb; 02/08/16 12:22 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6174018 02/08/16 01:25 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I value my relationship with my local gun store.

I know that I could save a buck by buying elsewhere, but having strong backup with solid customer support is valuable to me. If I’m not a regular customer buying through him, I would expect to pay for the nuisance factor.

When I do need a transfer, it's a courtesy. When ammo was in short supply, it wasn’t a problem for me. I also get a phone call when a used gun that I want, gets traded in – before it goes on the rack. Tips on who is wanting to sell what gun, also come from the local guy.

Saving money is critical to most of us, but I also want small, local brick and mortar relationship based gun stores to stay in business.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6174038 02/08/16 01:38 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
The cheapest transfer fees where I live are in a little shop that is only open for a few hours, two days a week, and is run by a fellow who depends upon votes to keep his day job.

I see a lot of the local elites going in and out of there, fellows who are not particularly strapped for cash. - They're just cheap.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6175148 02/09/16 01:23 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I look at FFL Transfer Fees a couple different ways.
Buying a new firearm online and then having it shipped to a local dealer that may sell the identical firearm is a touchy subject to a lot of dealers. They seem to get mad when you don't give them the chance to sell you a firearm from their inventory,and I don't blame them. Most gun stores can't match the price of firearms from places like Bud's Guns,but given the chance,they may come pretty close.

Most of the transfers that I have done were on used guns that I bought on gun auction sites like Gunbroker. Paying a $20 transfer fee has never bothered me,but now it seems like most places want $40 or more for a transfer so I don't do much online buying anymore.

In the last few years,most local shops have really jumped on the price gouging wagon for all of their products. I know,it's a free market! But,I have completely stopped buying my reloading supplies from several of the shops that I've dealt with for several decades because of the price gouging. If that's how they want to treat their customers,they don't deserve my business anymore.

If someone wants to charge $50-$75 for a firearms transfer fee,and people are dumb enough to pay it,then more power to them. I choose to find dealers that want my business for the long haul,not for a single firearms transfer.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6175241 02/09/16 02:25 AM
Nighteagle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Free market...a business is in business to make money folks...it's fairly simple. Sure they make money on a cheap transfer but are they making profit...you folks complaining about this have no idea what it takes to run a profitable business....and its insulting to hear you whining about it...you have prob cost that business thousands of dollars over the long haul in your negative advertising rant...great job, now someone's kid can't get into a good college because of your very rude behavior. Or maybe a house payment can't be paid...all because you had to complain on a public forum that will be on line forever...for 25 bucks. Buddy, that is a real class act...

I happen to have a few businesses and can tell you I can't hardly take a dump and flush the toilet for less than your 25.00 transfer fee complaint...that's the truth.

just so you know, the business world has names for COSTEMERS such as yourself...too bad I have class and won't use that kind of language

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6175254 02/09/16 02:32 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If you are a plumber or electrician, a roofer or carpenter and someone callls you and says " I just bought the materials needed for the job you quoted and gave the job to a guy that will install it for me cheaper, but he can't go get it and deliver it, who you do that girl me?" What are you going to charge him? Are you going to work for deli er the stuff and make 75% less, or are you going to quote him your normal hourly cost? Or are you going to tell him to go to h€lol because he didn't let you do the job and make all the profit?

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: Nighteagle] #6175272 02/09/16 02:55 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Nighteagle
Free market...a business is in business to make money folks...it's fairly simple. Sure they make money on a cheap transfer but are they making profit...you folks complaining about this have no idea what it takes to run a profitable business....and its insulting to hear you whining about it...you have prob cost that business thousands of dollars over the long haul in your negative advertising rant...great job, now someone's kid can't get into a good college because of your very rude behavior. Or maybe a house payment can't be paid...all because you had to complain on a public forum that will be on line forever...for 25 bucks. Buddy, that is a real class act...

I happen to have a few businesses and can tell you I can't hardly take a dump and flush the toilet for less than your 25.00 transfer fee complaint...that's the truth.

just so you know, the business world has names for COSTEMERS such as yourself...too bad I have class and won't use that kind of language

Go back read my original post. My complaint was regarding a $75.00 FFL fee not $25.00. If you're still so offended by post call me what you want to call me buddy.

Everyone who said it's a free market is 100% correct. They charge 75.00 and I chose not to do business with them. GT charges me $25.00, so I chose to do business with them and I'll by other things from them as well. GT may have broken even at $25.00 or maybe lost money, but they picked up a customer who will buy their products. I figure most big dealers chose to offer FFL services as a way to generate additional/future business vs. being their primary revenue source. If this true, why would you price a potential loss leader service way above what the local market dictates? It's either they don't want to offer the service, or they're hoping to attract people that don't know any better.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: Nighteagle] #6175388 02/09/16 04:08 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Going rate is about $25 most places, so this place is at 3x the average. If you pulled into Whataburger tomorrow and they tried to charge you $25-30 for a combo meal would you go there any more? Would you say something to a friend or relative? What if an oil change place wanted $100 for a simple change? $90-100k for an average truck at your dealer?

FTR, I have run my own business (successfully), have worked in several businesses and have multiple degrees in business. I have every idea what it takes to operate a successful business.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6175416 02/09/16 04:35 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Going rate is about $25 most places, so this place is at 3x the average. If you pulled into Whataburger tomorrow and they tried to charge you $25-30 for a combo meal would you go there any more? Would you say something to a friend or relative? What if an oil change place wanted $100 for a simple change? $90-100k for an average truck at your dealer?

FTR, I have run my own business (successfully), have worked in several businesses and have multiple degrees in business. I have every idea what it takes to operate a successful business.

So if you pulled into get your oil changed and brought your own oil and filter do you think it would be good business for them to change your oil for 10.00? Or do you think they would do it at all?
What if you brought your own meat and bun into Whataburger and asked them to cook it? Think they would.
Regardless of how many degrees you have, it makes no sense for a gun dealer with a true inventory and a building and employees to receive guns for cheap.
Gun dealers are the only retailers anyone expects this service from. How do you think Walmart would react if you had a TV shipped to them from Amazon? I doubt they would go for that.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: huntwest] #6175465 02/09/16 08:56 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: huntwest

So if you pulled into get your oil changed and brought your own oil and filter do you think it would be good business for them to change your oil for 10.00? Or do you think they would do it at all?
What if you brought your own meat and bun into Whataburger and asked them to cook it? Think they would.
Regardless of how many degrees you have, it makes no sense for a gun dealer with a true inventory and a building and employees to receive guns for cheap.
Gun dealers are the only retailers anyone expects this service from. How do you think Walmart would react if you had a TV shipped to them from Amazon? I doubt they would go for that.

If I don't have time to change my own oil, I'll take the oil with me have them change it with my oil. Never ever been a problem.
Health code wouldn't allow Whataburger to cook your meat. But the SELECT ground meat you buy in Walmart is far better than the Commercial grade ground beef fast food places use.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: bigjoe8565] #6175572 02/09/16 01:51 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
This thread got stupid in a hurry..

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: huntwest] #6175672 02/09/16 02:56 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Gun dealers are the only businesses that are required to file a 4473 on the products that they sell or transfer. With or without firearms transfers, your store would be open for business if you have a customer base, so don't say it cost you time and money because your doing a transfer.
It's pure profit doing transfers, you didn't spend anything ordering products from your wholesalers. The customer spent their money for the firearm and shipping cost.
Granted,you are spending a few minutes of your time dealing with transfers, but most transfers net you more profit than any other single item sale.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: Txhillbilly] #6175791 02/09/16 03:58 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly

Gun dealers are the only businesses that are required to file a 4473 on the products that they sell or transfer. With or without firearms transfers, your store would be open for business if you have a customer base, so don't say it cost you time and money because your doing a transfer.
It's pure profit doing transfers, you didn't spend anything ordering products from your wholesalers. The customer spent their money for the firearm and shipping cost.
Granted,you are spending a few minutes of your time dealing with transfers, but most transfers net you more profit than any other single item sale.

Doing transfers does take time and time is money; everyone values theirs! $25 or less is a fair price.

Receive
Un-package
Notification
Dispose of trash (recycled peanut packing is fun and usually clings around for days)
Store (in some cases long term)
Insurance (yes, we are responsible for your item)
4473 prep (sometimes it takes the customer 3-4 times to get the form correct...illiterate, poor penmanship, lack of reading comprehension, etc...)
Log out
Final chit-chat (oh and there are talkers too...)

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: huntwest] #6175857 02/09/16 04:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

My oil change guy will do it for $15 if I bring my own oil (I actually change it myself most of the time, though). He usually charges $35-39 for gas engines, 5-6 qts plus filter.

Define 'cheap'. My last two transfers were either $20 or $25, and they had three employees standing around doing nothing when I got there. I was in the store less than 20 minutes both times. Even if it took them 40 minutes to do their side, so total 1 hour to do it all, they got $20 for an employee they're paying $10. Taxes, insurance, etc., maybe they broke even on the deal, or at 25-30-35 they make some money on it, again their employee was doing NOTHING. And as I stated in my other post, I've bought other things at that store, so it got me in the door and they made money other ways, so YES, it made sense for them to do something for me where they didn't make a lot of money.

$75 is a rip and being one of Bud's preferred FFLs sets up a lot of people to get the shaft (yes they should call first, but most wouldn't expect it to be 3x market average).

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: charlesb] #6176143 02/09/16 06:55 PM
Nighteagle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: charlesb
if you don't like the price move on...to diss a business on a public forum like this for only that reason is very bad form...you have NO idea what they have to do to stay in business...

I agree... Butt-hurt whiners are a lower form of life, that we would all be better off without.

Reporting a real problem is useful to all. - Whining is despicable.

This...

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: Nighteagle] #6176777 02/10/16 01:55 AM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
It's their right to charge whatever they want. It's my right to choose to never spend a dime in their shop, and tell everyone I know why.

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: Choctaw] #6178063 02/10/16 10:44 PM
M
mikebass78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
I use Bryan's Bunker in McKinney. $10.00.

Wheres Bryans Bunker?

Re: FFL Transfer fee rant [Re: booradley] #6178075 02/10/16 10:49 PM
M
mikebass78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: booradley
It is a free country, I don't have time to whine about high FFL transfer fees, CTD and such. I just don't give those entities my business.

I also don't understand why people pay Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. the money they charge for firearms when they can save serious money purchasing online. But many many people do. I've also heard people say there isn't much savings if any purchasing online when you factor everything in. I say bull. In August of 2014 I purchased a Ruger SR9C online. My cost was $415.00 including TT&L. Add $5.00 in gas for the drive to my FFL and I spent $420.00. It would have cost $519.59 at Cabela's. Add $5.00 for gas driving to Cabela's and I paid a little more than $100.00 less purchasing online.

+1

I buy almost every firearm online.

Better Prices, than local and FTF (ppl are silly in DFW)
No Tax
$10 Transfer fees

Reason I have to buy them to try them. And have some that I sell still NIB.
I dont like renting guns"

example.

I just purchased a 9mm Subcompact, with a laser for $360ish

Local, people want $400-$515 for used, same model,without laser.

rifles, everything falls into this category,buy online save plenty of money.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide