THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6144716 01/20/16 03:31 PM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have had 2x more delays in the last 6 weeks than I have ever had.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6145055 01/20/16 06:42 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Same here; and I've lost two sales because of the delay and the fact that both of the potential customers did not care to wait it out. Pretty frustrating.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6147623 01/22/16 01:15 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Sunday at the show was painful.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6149608 01/23/16 12:44 AM
T
txwildcat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Hmmmmmm.

It is funny. Every time OB talk gun-control, Americans vote by purchasing a gun.

Kinda strange flag

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6149722 01/23/16 01:52 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: mikei
Same here; and I've lost two sales because of the delay and the fact that both of the potential customers did not care to wait it out. Pretty frustrating.

One CC instructor told me more are signing up for the courses just to avoid the NICS checks. Some said they have no intention of CC at all, just tired of the wait

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6165982 02/02/16 03:38 PM
P
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Hey some. Of you dealers, I am 50 years old and been buying guns whole life, been delayed a few times that all. I have no conditions to prohibit me from gun ownership.about first of month I was at local shop, I have made many gun purchases a. Saw a r emmy 700 270 I thought was a good deal so I decided to get it. Filled out 4473, called in got delayed, well shop was in home town so my FFL gave me date it came off and said would call if thier was reply before. Waited 3 business days stopped by to pick up rife . My FFL said I had been denied, my FFL who I have purchased many arms from was as surprised as me said he knew it must be a mistake. I sent in reqest for reason and ntc number as instructed. Took almost a month to get reply just a form letter saying I was match to prohited catria. Said for me to download appeals form and have fingerprint card made and send with appeal. Then NICS rep said they were 6 months behind on appeals, and that sec was completely down for time being. When it comes back up it will be 6 months, from then before gets cleared up, I ask about LTC in texas said this had to be fixed first. So am in limbo for no telling how long. You guys that are dealers have any advice. Am for sure getting a LTD . Soon as I get all this stright

NRA all the way god guns and guts made us free , i want all three
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6166711 02/02/16 11:34 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would suggest that you try two things:

Fill out a new Form 4473 and have your dealer run it through again.

Find an FFL dealer who uses the computer-based NICS check system. He'll enter the data from your 4473 and it will by-pass the "person to person" call-in. The results are normally returned in less than 5 minutes!

I've been a dealer for 15+ years, and just started using the computer-based NICS check system because of all of the delays and false denials/delays I was getting for some of my best customers.

Their system is having some real problems; either that, or there's something else going on that is causing these delay/denials. Gun control can come at us in many different ways. . .

Last edited by mikei; 02/02/16 11:35 PM.
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: kmon11] #6166802 02/03/16 12:35 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: kmon1

One CC instructor told me more are signing up for the courses just to avoid the NICS checks. Some said they have no intention of CC at all, just tired of the wait

This ^!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6167307 02/03/16 11:09 AM
P
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Thanks for advice guys, thier really needs to be a provision that mandates the appeals system stays up and running. Your right mikes this may be back door gun control, system was already bad behind now completely down just falling further behind. Think maybe current administration wants public outcry to help get funding for his expansion of ATF. Shutting down appeals amounts to Defunding department. No way to work out erroneous denials/ delays. DELAYS make it almost impossible to buy at gun shows. I Also spoke with a LTC instructor he recommended purshing a carry permitt anyway. Said basicly same paperwork.For now my FFL said to come back in he wants to fill out new 4473 run thru again to see results.he said we know denial is erronous so we are breaking no laws. Will let yal know what happends.My dealer is holding rifle for me til we work this out, as said I have purchased many firearms from him.

NRA all the way god guns and guts made us free , i want all three
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6167345 02/03/16 12:34 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
How does your dealer know its erroneous? I am surprised he would run another after one declined...

Did you put your ssn on the form?

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: Cleric] #6168244 02/03/16 09:49 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Cleric
How does your dealer know its erroneous? I am surprised he would run another after one declined...

Cleric, the dealer is assuming that the decline/delay is erroneous; he doesn't "know." The inclusion of the customer's SSN is, of course, not mandatory, and I have customers who fill in the number, and ones who refuse to; I've seen no difference in delay/deny rates. In my case, if I have a tried and true, repeat customer who gets delayed or denied, I would make the same assumption. The NICS system and process is very antiquated, and during the last couple of months, before I switched over to the computer-based system, over half the time I was connected with agents who quite obviously were not comfortable with the English language and it was a real challenge to get through the approval (or delay/deny) process without having to ask them repeatedly to "say again." Reminds me of trying to get telephone support for computer problems.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6168736 02/04/16 02:24 AM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
"With 2,545,802 checks processed through the National Instant Background Check System, January 2016 beat the previous record, set in January 2013, by 50,326 checks. Though January’s number represents a drop from the all-time single month record set in December 2015, it is also marks the ninth month in a row that has set a record. It is also the third month in a row with more than two million background checks."
freebeacon

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6169337 02/04/16 03:43 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Most of my transfers are with CHL/LTC card holders but we do call in about 60 4473s per month and have had only 5 denials in 7 years. I agree some of those first tier NICS staff are rough to speak with!

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171452 02/06/16 02:16 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

Cleric, the dealer is assuming that the decline/delay is erroneous; he doesn't "know." The inclusion of the customer's SSN is, of course, not mandatory, and I have customers who fill in the number, and ones who refuse to; I've seen no difference in delay/deny rates. In my case, if I have a tried and true, repeat customer who gets delayed or denied, I would make the same assumption. The NICS system and process is very antiquated, and during the last couple of months, before I switched over to the computer-based system, over half the time I was connected with agents who quite obviously were not comfortable with the English language and it was a real challenge to get through the approval (or delay/deny) process without having to ask them repeatedly to "say again." Reminds me of trying to get telephone support for computer problems.

I am surprised that a dealer would run a decline again. If he was approved how does the dealer know which is right.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171665 02/06/16 09:13 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've bought quite a few guns from Academy. Always ran me and within 5-10 minutes it was done, I paid and left. The last 4 times I bought from them I got delayed? Academy won't sell until NICS clears. First delay was 3 days, then 7, then 14! WHY?? I have a clean record, was very frustrating. Finally said the heck with it and got my CHL. No more delays. I also no longer buy guns from Academy. Found a local gun shop that I like a lot and they will get my money from now on. Would rather support a local business anyway, should have started spending my money there long ago anyway because they are good people.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171727 02/06/16 01:25 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Cleric, when the NICS check is conducted, the agent gives the dealer a unique NICS number that he puts on the Form 4473. It provides proof to the auditor that the check was done and a valid NICS number was generated and logged. All legal and above-board.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171731 02/06/16 01:31 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
skinnerback, I doubt if doing your business through Academy had anything to do with the delays you've experienced. And, by law, Acadamy should not sell a person a gun until they get NICS clearance for that transaction. I'm a small dealer, and a lot of my transactions are with repeat customers who've bought lots of guns from me before, but they all know that I will NOT transfer the firearm to them until I get the NICS clearance. As mentioned by several other posters on this thread, get out there and get yourself a concealed handgun license and avoid the NICS approval process all together!

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171863 02/06/16 03:53 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Cleric, when the NICS check is conducted, the agent gives the dealer a unique NICS number that he puts on the Form 4473. It provides proof to the auditor that the check was done and a valid NICS number was generated and logged. All legal and above-board.

But the dealer would be in possession of an approval and denial for the same item??

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6171865 02/06/16 03:56 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Quote:
Note: FFLs are not authorized to conduct additional checks for denied individuals until the appeal process is successfully completed.

From the fbi manual...

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6172016 02/06/16 05:50 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This kind of thing is exactly why I got a CHL. I'm not concerned about any actual problems with my record, just erroneous crap, system problems, etc. Getting a license makes all of that go away unless the FFL runs everyone.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: Cleric] #6172076 02/06/16 06:40 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Quote:
Note: FFLs are not authorized to conduct additional checks for denied individuals until the appeal process is successfully completed.

From the fbi manual...

Well, I've never had to do this, and now that I'm on the computer based system, I don't think I'll ever be tempted to do so.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6172168 02/06/16 08:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

For the benefit of the others and not to be confused with a "UPIN" for box 9, The "reviewer", not an "agent", will provide a transaction number for box 21b. on the 4473 (NICS or State Transaction Number). It is a combination of numbers and/or letters XXXX-XXX. This number is specific to each BG check.

It does not matter if you use a paper 4473 or e-check...an FFL licensee CANNOT re-run a denial. NICS has protocols in place to deal with denials (even if they are false positives) and these protocols must be followed!

Hint...get your CHL/LTC!!!! wink

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 02/06/16 08:31 PM.

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: mikei] #6172170 02/06/16 08:36 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Quote:

From the fbi manual...

Well, I've never had to do this, and now that I'm on the computer based system, I don't think I'll ever be tempted to do so.

So then why are you giving bad advice? You have had your Ffl for 15+ years and thought it would be okay to rerun a denial and hope for an approval. if you were just throwing a view point around as a consumer sure. But as a ffl you should know better

Re: NICS Systems is swamped [Re: Cleric] #6172265 02/06/16 11:19 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Quote:

From the fbi manual...

So then why are you giving bad advice? You have had your Ffl for 15+ years and thought it would be okay to rerun a denial and hope for an approval. if you were just throwing a view point around as a consumer sure. But as a ffl you should know better

OK, Cleric. I admit. I'm a very, very bad person. I also admit that I did not know that I could not, if I wanted to, re-run a delayed NICS check. So, I'm a very, very, very bad person,

If you would like to turn me in to the FBI, I will be glad to PM you my FFL number and you can pursue your case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide