6240178 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6164350 - 02/01/16 09:09 AM Best travel trailer brands
7m STW Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Midland tx/ Childress tx
I'm looking at getting a different travel trailer and looking at different brands and different levels of the brands but so far all it has done is confuse and make me wonder is there's really much difference at all in any of them. Do you you guys have any preferences? Or favorites? I don't want a bunkroom and I'm getting away from 5th wheels wich is what I have now.

#6164380 - 02/01/16 09:26 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
jeffbird Offline

I had a 31' Airstream Classic, which we used for a couple of years and LOVED! It was fantastic and extremely well built and trouble free.

Most people buy a trailer, use it for a year or two, and sometimes only a trip or two, and then sell at a deep loss. So, look at the used market for a good used one. I bought mine as a two year old trailer from a bank repo for $33,000 delivered to me from a lot in Phoenix vs. a list of almost $90,000, and it appeared like new. We used it a lot for two years and then sold it for a net of $30,000 back to me. There are some good online listing websites. Look nationally and you can save lots of money. Spend time really stepping into the various models and spend some time in them. You'll begin to really notice differences in feel, layout and quality of materials and construction.

More so than even cars, new trailers depreciate massively and the resale market really puts a premium on quality of construction and punishes flimsy construction.

A "four season" trailer has better insulation including the bottom being enclosed. My wife was adamant about the four season trailer to reduce the risk of rattlesnakes crawling into it on our then lease. There were a few snake shed skins in folks' trailers every year. Ours was buttoned up tight and never had a problem.

The one other suggestion is go for two A/C units. In the summer, it is hard to have too much cooling capacity.

If your budget is big, there are fifth wheels that are about like living in a really nice apartment. Take time to really look through lots of different designs to really assess what you need and want.

#6164384 - 02/01/16 09:26 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country

I have a short attention spa

#6164462 - 02/01/16 10:20 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Highland Village, Texas
We like Heartlands here. Started with a Trailer Runner, then went to a Prowler and now on a Big Country that is awesome!! Good quality trailers for a fair price.

#6164569 - 02/01/16 11:22 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
kry226 Offline

Loc: Germany
We also have an Airstream and absolutely love it as well, but they're definitely not for everyone. While they are mostly well built, they can be quirky, cramped (especially coming from a 5th wheel), and they can be tough to work on or repair.

I suggest hitting an RV show or two that should be coming up here in the late winter or early spring. I think that's really the best way to take in a bunch of trailers and find out what tickles your fancy.

#6164582 - 02/01/16 11:34 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bedford, TX
Nuwa is often used by fulltimers. Very well built.

http://www.nuwa.com/

#6164907 - 02/01/16 03:15 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: CRAnderson52]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
We like Heartlands here. Started with a Trailer Runner, then went to a Prowler and now on a Big Country that is awesome!! Good quality trailers for a fair price.

Same here, looked at 3 and they are fricken nice, looked for almost 12 months and found a Heartland bumper pull we liked, been great so far.

This wont help much, but my mother had 2 different models made by forest river, both had problems for them, also had a time selling them. Wish I could recall the models, but they where fairly known for issues and poor quality.

I think doing due diligence is key, read read read on the RV/camping forums. As mentioned, you can get a deal on used, just go over every piece of hardware, make them show you it works on every system.

What we wanted after a ton of reading and looking, fiberglass exterior and rubber top, those 2 things where non negotiable for us. Found ours listed for just over 20k including 55oo Onan gold genset and one slide, toy hauler. Navy federal said it booked at around 40k, so they would be happy to give us the $$,,,for an 08 model! From what we where told, it was used 3 times for Nascar day's....

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6165263 - 02/01/16 07:10 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Western]
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Matagorda County
Simply AirStream

#6165401 - 02/01/16 08:20 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
txshotgun Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Argyle TX
My wife and I went to the RV show in Ft Worth a few weeks ago. It really seems that there are many, many "brands" but fewer manufacturers. Different brands seemed to be separated by quality of the interior. I found myself thinking "we've seen this trailer already" only to have the wife remind me it was a few rows over and a different brand.

#6165407 - 02/01/16 08:26 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
Ranch Dawg Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
We are on our 2nd Jayco, no issues at all. RV show at Market hall at the end of the month.

#6165580 - 02/01/16 10:00 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
Fantastic thread

#6165651 - 02/01/16 11:31 PM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: Ranch Dawg]
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Highland Village, Texas
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
We are on our 2nd Jayco, no issues at all. RV show at Market hall at the end of the month.

If you're in the market right now go to this!! All the dealers with all the new models are there and it saves lots of time and gas compared to driving from place to place on your days off. I've actually bought the last two of ours at the show, it saved a little money and they threw a Yeti in both times!

#6165866 - 02/02/16 08:19 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
well, it goes without saying that if you can afford an airstream, that is the route; however, I don't see spending the money on an airstream for the deer lease. I bought a 26' Forest River Work & Play back in 2006 brand new and have had it on 3 different deer lease in the Panhandle and have even left it out in the elements for 2 years once and have never had a single leak when my neighbors have and have never had a single mouse when my neighbors have. It is heavy and tough to pull with a half ton, but it is a solid, seamless hunk of metal with a sturdy frame and I am very pleased with it. I will be ripping out the guts up front this year and redoing the cabinets and putting down tile. The back is real simple; it has a twin bed on the left and bunk beds on the right and a rhino lined floor. The one down side to it is it is a max 2 adult trailer. I have had 2 adults and my young un and it does get crowded, but for just me and my son, it is the best.

#6165910 - 02/02/16 08:50 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Airstream is probably at the top, Jayco is a popular camper as well. As I mentioned earlier, you can't read enough up front, others reviews and complaints on RV forums is a gold mine of information. Some problems are easily solved, some can be a major expense. Paying extra for one that is sealed on the bottom can be a huge advantage if you camp in real cold weather.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6166000 - 02/02/16 09:43 AM Re: Best travel trailer brands [Re: 7m STW]
Sidebuster Offline

Loc: Rowlett
Any recommendations for generators for RV's? I have been looking at the 5500 watt generac brand. Has anyone ever made a box out of sound board to cover it to make it quieter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide