Print Thread
Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! #6161275 01/29/16 09:27 PM
D
Davezerg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Hey guys, i have been seriously considering taking a trip to Colorado for an OTC DIY hunt. I have spent quite a bit of time reading and getting as much info as i can. I have narrowed it down to unit 74 in the San Juan National Forest in SW Co. Just north of Durango. Any information, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Especially about how to hunt them with rifle during the 2nd or 3rd season. I also plan on taking a trip during the summer to do some scouting. Tips on gear, rifles, ammo, weather, backpacks, clothing, altitude, camping, water, food, gps, shoes.. Even parking tips are welcome. Open to any info. Thanks.

Like a good friend used to say, hope is the last thing that dies!
Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6161372 01/29/16 10:49 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
If you can get through all the extra chatter, the 2015 diy Colorado elk hunt thread has quite a bit of useful info.

Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6162566 01/31/16 12:31 AM
D
Davezerg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Ok, ill check it out. Thanks.

Like a good friend used to say, hope is the last thing that dies!
Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6163172 01/31/16 04:07 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
My experience with elk hunting in Colorado was in the Mt Zirkel Wilderness area a long time ago. I found that the National Forest around the Wilderness Area was thick with hunters. Most, from what I could tell, made it their annual vacation trip with a group of buddies that seemed to me more interested in riding four wheelers all day and drinking all night. While I don't really care what others do, I felt that their odds of success was small. We rode horses ten miles into the Wilderness to our camp, then hiked several miles into a canyon where we where seeing animals. During the week we where there, we all saw elk. One buddy and I both shot fair 5x5 bulls. The other two guys saw legal bulls, but never close enough for a shot. I was the youngest by far and after I got my bull, I tried to help one of my friends get his, but he just couldn't climb very well. I think the trick was getting up high before first light and glassing as soon as you can see. Every morning I saw elk doing this.

While we never saw another hunter where we where at, we could hear the four wheelers going all day, every day. Lots of shooting to, but I have no idea if anybody ever got anything or what they where shooting at. When we left, I didn't see any sign that any of the camps we rode past had any game, and the people we talked to all said they hadn't seen a single animal. The difference between the National Forest and the Wilderness was night and day. Everywhere in the forest you saw four wheeler trails. They rode right up and down the line of the Forest and the Wilderness!!!!

Everyone who saw our antlers where amazed that animals that big existed there. You would have thought they where B&C class bulls from the reaction of the hunters and locals in town. It was so bad that I decided to never go back there again. It's just not my idea of a great hunt.

I had the same thing happen in Idaho, but also found that in other parts of Idaho, there where areas that didn't have all the four wheelers, and you could get back into the Wilderness and have some quiet while hunting.

Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6163330 01/31/16 06:45 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
.300 win mag minimum, be able to shoot at least 400 yds as alot of shots are on the next mountain side, have good optics and learn to glass patiently as I have looked over Elk four or 5 times before spotting them, good waterproof boots, wear layers and take them off and put in your pack as the day warms up, have a good pack, I have a Eberlstock and love it, meat bags, lighter, some dry kinlin in your bag

Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6163489 01/31/16 10:21 PM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I would have a gun to shoot as far as possible

Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6164199 02/01/16 01:30 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Dave if you will PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a very long read that's got a bunch of great elk hunting info in it. I copied it off another site many years ago because I'm not one to set down and write out long instructions myself. I'd post it on here but I don't have the original posters permission to do so. Many points he makes in the post are spot on and It's very helpful!
I've Elk hunted in the West in over 25 seasons and It's a different hunt each time but this will get you started with the basics. Take Care, Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6164215 02/01/16 01:42 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I went on this hunt with Sneaky and the gang. Had the time of my life, cept those young buck near kilt me. Like ZK said read those posts. AND get in shape. When you think you are fit, start over. If you are fortunate enough to connect your work will really begin. 400+ yard shots across a bowl are very possible. But it will take you maybe several hours to cross that terrain to see if you were successful. Then you have to carry the elk out. It became clear to me why outfitters get the $$$. All of that being said, I am so glad I went!

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Thinking about an elk hunt.. Help! [Re: Davezerg] #6164218 02/01/16 01:44 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
That area is breathtakingly beautiful.

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide