Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: redchevy] #6160737 01/29/16 03:30 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Whatever you got your ideas I got mine apparently you think its ok to take advantage of people, I disagree. The term "low ball" exists for a reason.
How is it taking advantage of anyone? Nobody forces them to accept an offer. Do you pay full MSRP when buying a new truck because you don't want to take advantage of them?

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6160770 01/29/16 03:53 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
When I was flipping houses, I would offer the amount I felt I needed to be at in order to make a profit on the house after I did the work on it I felt needed to be done based on how long I felt it would take to do the job and how much I felt my time was worth over that amount of time. My offers where always a lot below the asking price. Sometimes half of what they where asking. For a few years, I was able to buy enough houses like that to make a decent living. Then those TV shows came out and people started buying them for full price just before the market tanked.

I got out of the flipping house business and started buying lots to build spec homes. I never paid more then half the asking price of a lot in any of the towns I built in. In every case, they had been on the market for a year or more and people where tired of paying taxes on them, maintaining them, or just dealing with owning them.

My realtor was the type of guy who agreed with my approach and was willing to write as many offers as it took to make the deal. He knew that he would get the listing when I sold them, and he knew that he was going to make money off of me over and over again.

When my last spec house sold three times before actually closing, I figured it was time to get out of that business and focus on remodeling. I've been doing that ever since and enjoy it the best.

I had enough cash to put down on some land and spent a few years looking. Asking price for unimproved land was anywhere from a grand to $3,000 an acre back then. Going over the comps with my realtor, we saw that actual selling price per acre was significantly lower in some areas. I zeroed in on an area that I liked with the lowest cost per acre that was asking $1,500 per acre. I offered $900 hoping to get it for a grand or just above that. They came back at $1,000 per acre, take it or leave it with a lot of attitude. I said I'd go up to $950, but that I was also looking at some other properties and was ready to make an offer on one of them if they where not ready to sell. They agreed to my offer and I got it for $950 an acre. Raw land, no improvement including a fence to keep out trespassers. I later found out during the closing that trespassers and people dumping garbage on the land, along with one dirt contractor sneaking in and digging up dirt to use on jobs was a big motivator in the selling of the land. I don't know if I could have gotten it for less or not, but at $950 for 68 acres with power and water at the road, I'm happy with how it worked out.

The number one rule when buying land or any real estate is to be willing to walk away when the price isn't right, or something about it bothers you. I would never buy land without road frontage. Easements have a way of being a problem down the road. You never know who will own it in the future, or what they will be like. Deeded or not, the new owner can play all sorts of games that will cost you huge sums of money in court fees to fix. Also remember to stick with your top price. Same thing as an auction, don't be the guy who falls in love with it and buys on emotion.

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6160793 01/29/16 04:05 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: chk

Obviously, lots of variables here...

popcorn tis having one of me out if body experiences... Me body tis just sitting here while me mind wonders about this place.... bang bang bang Then reality kicked in & seen some rich dude drive up in his marasda, offering $5,000.00 an acre for tax right off & for him & his groopies ta sit around & talk bad about Damn Gov & thar high taxes...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: 1860.colt] #6160953 01/29/16 05:47 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: colt.45

popcorn tis having one of me out if body experiences... Me body tis just sitting here while me mind wonders about this place.... bang bang bang Then reality kicked in & seen some rich dude drive up in his marasda, offering $5,000.00 an acre for tax right off & for him & his groopies ta sit around & talk bad about Damn Gov & thar high taxes...
flag

You are by far my favorite thf'er. "Marasda"

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: Grosvenor] #6161382 01/29/16 10:59 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

flag

You are by far my favorite thf'er. "Marasda"

Its one of them thar high dallor, low riding, forieng import vechicals with the personalized licence plates with mud on the plates....
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6161436 01/29/16 11:48 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a "Low Ball" offer. People ask a certain price for something. And a buyer gives a price he will pay. If the two parties don't agree then they go their separate ways.

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: don k] #6161507 01/30/16 12:58 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: don k
Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a "Low Ball" offer. People ask a certain price for something. And a buyer gives a price he will pay. If the two parties don't agree then they go their separate ways.

cheers Best answer yet... scratch Do you happen ta own a Marasda ? flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: redchevy] #6161578 01/30/16 02:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Your young and have your whits about you and are familiar with the process. People get taken advantage of every day its little different than scammers getting old people to me.

I didn't learn on my own.

One of the largest land holders is actually Nursing Homes. Proper planning is the kids responsibility as much as the parents.

Whatever you got your ideas I got mine apparently you think its ok to take advantage of people, I disagree. The term "low ball" exists for a reason.

Pretty simple process. Offer is made, They counter or say no. You counter or say no. In the end both parties say either yes or no.

My last house sold for above list price.... Three people wanted it. I guess via your reasoning I should give them a refund.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6161772 01/30/16 04:53 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Your young and have your whits about you and are familiar with the process. People get taken advantage of every day its little different than scammers getting old people to me.

I didn't learn on my own.

One of the largest land holders is actually Nursing Homes. Proper planning is the kids responsibility as much as the parents.

Pretty simple process. Offer is made, They counter or say no. You counter or say no. In the end both parties say either yes or no.

My last house sold for above list price.... Three people wanted it. I guess via your reasoning I should give them a refund.

You left out a third option....you offer and they do not respond at all.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6162146 01/30/16 04:47 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Would you ask for the 1200 or would that be a low ball offer and piss them off?

Lowballing does piss people off, but what do you care? This isn't your buddy or relative that you are buying from, is it?

This is a fairly common truth - the seller isn't apt to get more than his asking price from a single buyer and the buyer isn't apt to pay less than his opening bit. There are exceptions, of course, but they tend to be rare. I have know people to get more than asking price when there has been a bidding war on the property. My father got his home for less than his original opening bid, but it was 14 months later when that occurred.

The problem with most buyers and sellers is that they get emotionally involved with the property. ALWAYS be prepared to walk away from the deal if you don't like how it is developing. Falling in love with a property is the worst thing you can do before the purchase.

It can be VERY beneficial to have your financial affairs in order and if you have cash on hand or approved financing to make the offer with the notation that the offer is NOT pending suitable financing. Many sellers have been jerked around by buyers who could not come up with suitable financing. A lot of people are happy with an easy close, but you never know.

If you are looking for a deal, make a lowball offer and hope for the best. If you want to buy the property, may a reasonable offer based on the actual value of the property as you have determined it from other sources (see suggestions in other posts). Don't worry about what the seller is asking. Getting a good deal is fine, but you should never over pay for a property.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: 1860.colt] #6162432 01/30/16 09:45 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

flag

It's like I'm reading the redneck version of the King James Bible

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6162739 01/31/16 02:08 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I don't know at what line an offer has to cross to be considered a low ball offer. When I sell things I don't care if I receive a low ball offer.....I just ignore it. I personally don't get offended by a low ball. I will not make a ridiculously low offer on things I am buying. When making an offer I usually offer pretty close to the max I am willing to go on something. If someone is asking a ridiculouly high amount amount for something, I just move on. There is usually some kind of sedimental attachment to the land that is causing such a high asking price. There is no point in bothering with them, as nothing you say will do anything but piss them off.

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6163232 01/31/16 04:50 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I'm realtor, investor and hunter I have purchased and sold numerous properties mainly homes however I have personally acquired about 10 vacant land properties. I currently own 2 lots and 160 acre hunting property. Low ball is a ridiculous offer that offends the seller to a point he thinks you are not serious however we rarely discuss ridiculous selling prices which if you think about it is equally offensive. I have made an offer once where the seller refused to even discuss my interest. That's a real low ball in his mind. Didn't want that to happen but it did.

Understanding the market is important knowing the recent sale comps is essential per acre further knowing the sellers situation is equally important and can throw all logic out the window. How long has the property been on the market? has it been with multiple realtors, is it lacking in certain aspects compared other sales or does it have limtations all gulleys and canyons. Does it have high oil potential.

My 160 acres was on the market for over 2.5years, had no water and no fences and was in a family trust with 3 families desiring to sell. Asking price was 900.00 acre 5 yeas ago and a poor market. Knowing the time on market, the high interest to sell, and the lack basics on land I offered 500.00 acre which was low ball but they responded with 700.00 acre. I came back at 550.00 with minerals. Took 2 weeks but they came back at 600.00 with 1/2 minerals. I accepted.

If you go too high your giving your money away if you go too low you could insult however you must never buy with the belief that you must get the property. Karrass the man who wrote the art of negotiating says the one who moves the most will lose the most. I always remember this and watch the sellers response to any offer.
Never be afraid to embarrass yourself as you will probably never see the realtor or seller again however a bad deal will stay in your mind forever.

Re: What is considered a low ball offer when buying land? [Re: chk] #6163359 01/31/16 07:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I will add to that what my father taught me about land real estate deals. It is better to miss out on a good deal than to make a bad deal.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide