Page 1 of 2 1 2
Duck boats in N Texas? #6156958 01/27/16 03:33 AM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
What are you guys running on these lakes in N Tex? I've been thinking about getting an aluminum boat for duck hunting but I spend a lot of time winter bass fishing the North Texas lakes and the thought of running a small Jon boat on these windy lakes in winter freaks me out.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157000 01/27/16 03:55 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I run a G3 1860 with a 90 four stroke engine. It is more bass boat then duck boat but runs in 12 inches. It also has high sides and a stable ride. I put a pop up on it so it keeps a fairly low profile.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157029 01/27/16 04:09 AM
H
huntingag01 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
You won't find a boat that is perfect for both situations but the boat that scuba posted is hard to beat if going to have a single boat for both.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157120 01/27/16 05:28 AM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
What about a boat like a prodrive sbx? With it being self bailing wouldn't it be good for crossing open water and still be good for shallow water hunting? I know it is not great for any of the situations but it might be good enough for ever situation. I do not have any first hand experience with this boat so this is just my thinking. I would like someone with first hand knowledge to post about it.

Last edited by b1c2r3r4; 01/27/16 05:29 AM.
Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157215 01/27/16 11:54 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't have first hand knowledge of thatvoarticukar lake. I do on lakes down here and open water bays that get out of control quick. A ride and a wind can stand waves up on end.

I chased the perfect boat for a long time. There isn't one. If you want the perfect boat, then you need to buy 3 or more. With that being said, if I had to choose, I would not go with a mud motor. I think it might be old yeller on here that has about a do all rig as any. Center console, nice rig with a regular boat motor. Run a tunnel and jack plate and leave the flotation in it. It can handle some big stuff, but if too big, just don't go. You can duck hunt, fish, run lines, hit the river, you can even ski behind it. Do it I were picking one boat, that boat is the way I would go. If he sees this he will most a pic I am sure if it.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157223 01/27/16 12:02 PM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Is it fiberglass or aluminum?

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157254 01/27/16 12:53 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have a really wide aluminum john boat. When I bought it I bought it for bowfishing. After checking it out I took it out to the lake and said if me and a friend couldn't turn it over I would buy it. For some dumb reason we went to the middle of the lake, but we couldn't turn it over.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: b1c2r3r4] #6157265 01/27/16 01:17 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: b1c2r3r4
Is it fiberglass or aluminum?

If your asking about the boat I saw, it is aluminum. I think it was a Gator Trax hull. I had a gator Trax hull and can tell you from experience they are tough. My inexperienced buddy wanted to drive my boat. He did great in open water. Not so great at the ramp. He reverted back to a regular boat, panicked and dropped the prop back in the water. That pushed the bow on a rock so hard I thought for sure we would have a hole in the boat. Nope! One little dent. That boat had the low sides. They also make a high sided boat. It is not really the brand though when at this point of picking out what you want. You want to pick the design then find a brand to fit it. In today's marketing things seemed to have changed a bit, sort of the cart before the horse of you will.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157308 01/27/16 01:59 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
I've got a Gator Trax 1862 w/Suzuki 140hp and jackplate (no tunnel)and you dang sure want the hunt deck. Homey da Clown, and several others on THF helped me w/what would work best for me. I travel big water to get to skinny water and it works great for both. I've been on the open water in 30mph+ gusts (NOT on purpose) and didn't even pucker my butt!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157311 01/27/16 02:01 PM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
So that is my question. A duck boat that can handle the open water to the slough but then get you too rough the shallow stuff. I be never driven a mud motor but it seems that crossing open water would be kind of sketchy. I guess it also depends on if you are hunting out of the boat or just transporting with the boat. So that is the other question. Do you guys mainly hunt from the boat or stash it.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157327 01/27/16 02:07 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Knowing how to drive a boat has a lot to do with the water you can cross in one. I've been in a 21' Ranger in 3 foot swells and the driver speared a waved and soaked us. I've also been in a 21' Bullet on Rayburn in legit 4-5 footers and never got a drop of water on me. It all has to do with the the man behind the wheel or tiller.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157332 01/27/16 02:12 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
I hunt from my boat, no land available. I just stuff it in the tulies and sit still.
And I agree 100% w/BarneyWho.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: BarneyWho] #6157340 01/27/16 02:15 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Knowing how to drive a boat has a lot to do with the water you can cross in one. I've been in a 21' Ranger in 3 foot swells and the driver speared a waved and soaked us. I've also been in a 21' Bullet on Rayburn in legit 4-5 footers and never got a drop of water on me. It all has to do with the the man behind the wheel or tiller.

I have to say, I agree with Barneywho. Know your limitations whether you have a 3 foot boat or a 15 foot boat.

Last edited by wal1809; 01/27/16 02:19 PM.
Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157346 01/27/16 02:17 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Arbor Guy
So that is my question. A duck boat that can handle the open water to the slough but then get you too rough the shallow stuff. I be never driven a mud motor but it seems that crossing open water would be kind of sketchy. I guess it also depends on if you are hunting out of the boat or just transporting with the boat. So that is the other question. Do you guys mainly hunt from the boat or stash it.

I prefer to stash them if I am serious about killing ducks. I have hunted from a boat lots of times though. It is all about hiding them. You have to hide the front sides back and above you. Mallards have a unique trait of staying too high, circling and looking straight down into the boat. If they drift off with no indication of busting you, that means they busted you.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: wal1809] #6157347 01/27/16 02:18 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: wal1809

I am hoping soneone comes in my office right now and slaps the life out of me because I have to say, I agree with Barneywho. Know your limitations whether you have a 3 foot boat or a 15 foot boat.

Wal we aren't much different. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like you. The difference is you have tons of sea tow numbers in your phone once you get your pants on, and I don't! grin

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157349 01/27/16 02:18 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I bet that 18 footer with a 140 will shizzle and get!

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: BarneyWho] #6157350 01/27/16 02:21 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I am hoping soneone comes in my office right now and slaps the life out of me because I have to say, I agree with Barneywho. Know your limitations whether you have a 3 foot boat or a 15 foot boat.

Wal we aren't much different. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like you. The difference is you have tons of sea tow numbers in your phone once you get your pants on, and I don't! grin

Actally that is my fault, I edited my post. We aren't burning down this dude's thread.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: wal1809] #6157353 01/27/16 02:25 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B

Actally that is my fault, I edited my post. We aren't burning down this dude's thread.

rofl Dang. I missed it before you changed the post. bang

To the OP: Know your abilities and watch the weather. Most of the time you can trailer the boat and launch on the side of the lake protect from the wind and not have to cross the main body. If you are caught having to cross the main body you can generally run the shore line in shallow water if you have a mud motor until you have protected water in your favor to cross. Again, watch the weather read the conditions, and know your abilities.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: BarneyWho] #6157383 01/27/16 02:38 PM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A

Well that is also a ranger problem...but I will refrain from commenting further as not to offend the ranger faithful. I'll just say that is why they put so much flotation in them.😂. But seriously the comment is true. The real problem is when you lose power and a wave hits you on the side. A small Jon boat will swamp in a sec. Cold water, waders, and a sketchy boat are a bad mix.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Ol_Yeller] #6157386 01/27/16 02:40 PM
A
Arbor Guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
I've got a Gator Trax 1862 w/Suzuki 140hp and jackplate (no tunnel)and you dang sure want the hunt deck. Homey da Clown, and several others on THF helped me w/what would work best for me. I travel big water to get to skinny water and it works great for both. I've been on the open water in 30mph+ gusts (NOT on purpose) and didn't even pucker my butt!

One bad boat sir!

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157439 01/27/16 03:08 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
If you run water that looks like Ol Yeller's then you have the perfect boat...if you run stumpy water that will tear a lower unit off then the mud motor is the way to go.

I'd have one built if it was me (18x48 is perfect size) and put either the new Mudbuddy motor that looks like an outboard or put a GatorTail on it. You have reverse on those motors (for when you fish or around the launch) a lot like an outboard but don't have to worry with stumps or super shallow water.

Like everyone said there is no one perfect boat for all situations but that is two different scenarios where two different boats would be preferred.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157451 01/27/16 03:15 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
Thanks and yes Wal, that motor will pop you up on plane, even on skinny water!

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157777 01/27/16 06:30 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I'm running a heavy flat bottom aluminum boat with a mudmotor. I went with an 1854 that has 24" sides, 3/16" bottom, 1/8" sides and believe this hull size is a pretty versatile outdoor platform. If I were to do it again, I could easily save some weight and live with an 1/8" bottom. The boat has seen some pretty rough open water without issue. The only real disadvantage I've found to the mudmotor -vs- conventional OB is speed. The mudmotor is s-l-o-w. If I'm running an empty boat with minimum "stuff" I can get 25mph. Once you add another hunter, dog, decoys, 12gal of fuel and all the other junk hunters take, the speeds fall to the low 20s. Keep the same hunting loadout, add a third hunter and the boat will barely get on step. Add a fourth hunter and you will bowplow all the way to your hunting spot. When the boat is loaded for bowfishing with fuel, lights, trolling motor, extra battery, generator, etc.. you are just slow trolling all night. You better be close to your fishing grounds because if you have a long way to go, it's going to be a long ride.

The trade-off for speed is that all the stuff I've hit this past duck season didn't leave me stranded with a busted motor. The mudmotor has saved me lots of walking and really opened up the areas I could get into with the boat. I've had the boat in some nasty flooded timber and flooded cedar flats this year without a single issue. A few weeks ago I struck a steel corner post on a submerged fence line while scouting some some flooded areas on a local lake. I hit it hard enough that the motor flipped up and ripped the tiller out of my hand. If that had been a conventional OB it would most likely have destroyed the lower unit and I would have been stranded. Luckily, it didn't leave the slightest mark on the skeg of the prodrive. So far it has been very versatile and only feels too big when it comes time to hide it.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Ol_Yeller] #6157799 01/27/16 06:43 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
Thanks and yes Wal, that motor will pop you up on plane, even on skinny water!

I went through all the transitions. I went from V hull like we all had, to flat boats, flat boats with a tunnel, long tail mud boats, surface drives ect. The 15 foot Dargel Skooter would give most mud rigs a run for their money. It could run in spit. I have now come nearly full circle. I don't like mud rigs because it is not a fair trade for me any longer. I used to run some long runs way up into marsh bad lands. Now everyone knows about these spots, there are no secrets any longer. I am not and you are not the only footprint on the soil. I don't need to go back there anymore since everyone now has mud boats and they all want to go back there. I run an airboat that gives me some freedoms but takes other freedoms away. WMAs don't allow them. They hardly allow regular boats.

So the change came about that my wife and I are older. I don't want to have a flat boat with a tunnel that will run in 4 inches of water. They cause damage and they are rough as a cob in choppy water. I will take the 23 foot Explorer and run as shallow as I would ever need and ride in dry comfort and keep my teeth in my head. We cut across west Matti the other day at a 15-20 mph in rough water and it just cuts the waves and makes a nice cruise. If we wish to get somewhere shallow I can kick up the motor, roll in slow and do what I have to do. When it is time to leave, I can idle out and get to deep water and blast off.

Its all about finding what best suits you.

Re: Duck boats in N Texas? [Re: Arbor Guy] #6157914 01/27/16 07:43 PM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The sbx hull is like ol yeller's boat but it has full floatation and a self bailing hull so if you do take a wave over the side it drains right out the back. I do not know if you can get a hunt deck on the sbx hull or not.Ol yeller has does the outboard do in the stumps and lay downs?

Last edited by b1c2r3r4; 01/27/16 07:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide