Print Thread
Howa/Weatherby DM conversion #6155559 01/26/16 05:18 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Many of us have heard of the detachable magazine conversion kit sold by Legacy sports and Weatherby. This replaces the original bottom metal with a polymer bottom that accepts proprietary magazines sold by Legacy Sports.

For less than 100 bucks you can do this drop-in conversion, and it includes either a 5 round or a 10 round magazine. Extra magazines are around 40 bucks.

Legacy Sports conversion

Many have commented that the plastic replacement for the trigger-guard and bottom metal is less than delightful, and wish it were made of metal instead. There are also comments stating that standard AR magazines would be much preferable to the proprietary ones offered by Legacy Sports.

Pacific Tool and Gauge makes a DM conversion kit for the SA Howa that features a trigger guard/bottom metal made of CNC milled aluminum, finished in black. 308 magazines are metal, the 223 magazine offered is polymer. These cost about 50 bucks more than the Legacy Sports conversion. They share the drawback of requiring proprietary magazines though.

PTG conversion

I was on the phone with PTG today, and was informed that a new DM conversion for the Howa action is in the works that will accept standard AR magazines, but that there is no firm date on when it will be on the market.

In the mean-time, the PTG conversion with real metal on the bottom metal seems like the best current alternative. They want 158.00 bucks for the model with the 10-round .223 polymer magazine.

I have decided to skip the plastic Legacy Sports conversion and go with the metal PTG model instead - but now I'm thinking that it might be smartest to wait until the version that takes standard AR magazines comes out.

Dang it!

FYI: I was just looking at Howa short action conversions, because that is what I am looking for. Both outfits make conversion kits for long action too, and PTG offers conversions for Remington in addition to Howa/Weatherby actions.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/26/16 05:22 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6155777 01/26/16 06:53 PM
S
Strongbad Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
CDI Precision offers a DBM setup for the Howa's as well. Both short and long action are available.

Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6156550 01/27/16 12:57 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I've looked at the CDI Precision version and I have noticed that it looks suspiciously like the one manufactured by PTG, and even uses the same proprietary magazines.

- But it costs 40 bucks more.

Just saying...

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6156701 01/27/16 01:42 AM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: charlesb
I've looked at the CDI Precision version and I have noticed that it looks suspiciously like the one manufactured by PTG, and even uses the same proprietary magazines.

- But it costs 40 bucks more.

Just saying...

I'll defend them a bit because I have one on my savage. They will inlet and cut screws to length for free if u send them your rifle. Which could save u over a hundred.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6156801 01/27/16 02:16 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Good service is important. I dunno if it would be worth an extra 40 bucks to me though as I am a gunsmith, and so is my son.

PTG will ship the conversion kit to you - but after that you are strictly on your own. For me that's the better deal, as I can buy a nice sized jug of Jack Black with the extra forty bucks.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/27/16 02:19 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6157075 01/27/16 04:36 AM
westexhunt Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
CDI charged me $60 to inlet a stock for the bottom metal I bought from them. It's nice but it wasn't free.

Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: charlesb] #6157446 01/27/16 03:11 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Good service is important. I dunno if it would be worth an extra 40 bucks to me though as I am a gunsmith, and so is my son.

PTG will ship the conversion kit to you - but after that you are strictly on your own. For me that's the better deal, as I can buy a nice sized jug of Jack Black with the extra forty bucks.

Good for u, and I don't mean that sarcastically either. I wish I had that sort of capabilities. Unfortunately I lack in two minor things; access to properly tooling and skills.

I can't speak for CDI but my experience with them was very pleasant. And they may have started the whole free inletting only recently. Mine was a complete blind mag originally and every other smith quoted me in excess of $140 if they'd do it at all. So for me even $40-60 would have been a savings.

Regardless, if you had either a fully aluminum bedded stock or a pillar bedded stock, do u think having this plastic replacement will theoretically compromise accuracy of the screws can be tightened to the bedded spec?

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Howa/Weatherby DM conversion [Re: Korean Redneck] #6157569 01/27/16 04:32 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Good for u, and I don't mean that sarcastically either. I wish I had that sort of capabilities. Unfortunately I lack in two minor things; access to properly tooling and skills.

I can't speak for CDI but my experience with them was very pleasant. And they may have started the whole free inletting only recently. Mine was a complete blind mag originally and every other smith quoted me in excess of $140 if they'd do it at all. So for me even $40-60 would have been a savings.

Regardless, if you had either a fully aluminum bedded stock or a pillar bedded stock, do u think having this plastic replacement will theoretically compromise accuracy of the screws can be tightened to the bedded spec?

I think Howa is recommending 50 inch-pounds maximum for the plastic bottom 'metal'. That sounds reasonable to me, as tightening it any further could squish the plastic and maybe damage it. If the action fits the stock well, that ought to be plenty of torque for holding it all together.

40-60 bucks for opening up a blind magazine stock and inletting it for the floorplate sounds good to me. They probably have special tooling that allows them to do the job quickly and accurately. Things like that go a long way in keeping the price down.

I have an aftermarket stock on my Howa. One of the accuracy issues with Howas in aftermarket stocks in that sometimes the stock inletting does not allow enough room for the magazine box, so the action winds up teetering on the magazine box rather than settling down into the bedding when you tighten up the action screws. Shooters who run across this and do not realize what's up have fits trying to get the gun to shoot like it should. - The fix for this is to grind or file a little off of the bottom of the magazine box if necessary...

A better fix is to install a detachable magazine conversion!

Kind regards, charlesb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide