Forums46
Topics538,023
Posts9,731,934
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6154346 01/25/16 11:13 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
I'll see what other pics I can find. Most are on a laptop I didn't have on me, and these were just quick cropped ones I saved earlier, so the others will have full pics and not cropped. Think I have some from him in velvet.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6154363 01/25/16 11:24 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
The deer I posted was ancient. He was an unknown deer that just showed up on a low fence ranch. All my guides looked at the pics and called him 3.5. They thought I was crazy when I let a older teenager take him as a management buck. When I pulled his teeth they were worn to the gums. This was mid Dec. and the rut was still going on where this was. Just wanted to give an example of a buck that had a 3.5 yr old body but I had to look at other things to make the real call.

Let'em grow old
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: redchevy] #6154678 01/26/16 01:47 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Looks like an older fella to me.

Where is the rest of this picture?

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
Roughly the same time frame, yes.

Here's a close up...looks like he got a little tore up.

Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6154706 01/26/16 02:02 AM
H
heredeer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Trick question ??? Not the same deer in the closeup ???

Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6154757 01/26/16 02:37 AM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Based off the brow tines alone it's easily the same deer.

Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6155503 01/26/16 04:48 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Man, this is a tough on for sure.
There is no doubt in my mind this deer is mature looking at his front end and face.
Without a doubt he is 5.5+. He definitely looks a little 'hatchet arsed' like a lot of the post mature deer tend to get at 8.5+ but I'm thinking it is more do to just weight loss from being at the tail end of the rut on this deer. He certainly could be post mature though.

rtp, the deer you posted definitely has the hocks of an old deer but there is no way in a million years I would have guessed him to be post mature by this picture.
If you look at this deer from the hocks to the top of his head and don't look at the stains on his legs or his horns, he screams 3.5 years old. Heck, he does not even have the big front end (neck, shoulders, & brisket) that most old deer have. Even his face looks extremely young. Amazing....thanks for posting that picture.

Most of the post mature bucks I've seen down south resemble the Caldwell Cnty deer in the original post a lot but with even bigger necks and brisket and sometimes even less on the backside than this deer has. This could be due to just being bigger bodied deer overall down there than the typical Caldwell Cnty deer.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #6155532 01/26/16 05:06 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
There is no doubt in my mind this deer is mature looking at his front end and face.
Without a doubt he is 5.5+. He definitely looks a little 'hatchet arsed' like a lot of the post mature deer tend to get at 8.5+ but I'm thinking it is more do to just weight loss from being at the tail end of the rut on this deer. He certainly could be post mature though.

rtp, the deer you posted definitely has the hocks of an old deer but there is no way in a million years I would have guessed him to be post mature by this picture.
If you look at this deer from the hocks to the top of his head and don't look at the stains on his legs or his horns, he screams 3.5 years old. Heck, he does not even have the big front end (neck, shoulders, & brisket) that most old deer have. Even his face looks extremely young. Amazing....thanks for posting that picture.

Most of the post mature bucks I've seen down south resemble the Caldwell Cnty deer in the original post a lot but with even bigger necks and brisket and sometimes even less on the backside than this deer has. This could be due to just being bigger bodied deer overall down there than the typical Caldwell Cnty deer.

Fortunately for me I had many pics of the buck I posted to make my decision from. I just chose the one I posted because it showed the staining and not much else. I wanted to illustrate how one pic can be deceiving. If you look close in the one pic, you will see a callous area on the front knee. The buck is also sitting back on his front hooves more so than a typical 3.5 yr old. Like I said I had the benefit of many pictures. I think the OP is going to have to get his eyes on his buck to make his decision. The pics posted simply arent enough to make a great guess. I think he is post mature myself but Im not willing to lay a wager on it from just those pics. That hatch arse is one of the things I was looking at.

Let'em grow old
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: rtp] #6156166 01/26/16 09:36 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: rtp
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Fortunately for me I had many pics of the buck I posted to make my decision from. I just chose the one I posted because it showed the staining and not much else. I wanted to illustrate how one pic can be deceiving. If you look close in the one pic, you will see a callous area on the front knee. The buck is also sitting back on his front hooves more so than a typical 3.5 yr old. Like I said I had the benefit of many pictures. I think the OP is going to have to get his eyes on his buck to make his decision. The pics posted simply arent enough to make a great guess. I think he is post mature myself but Im not willing to lay a wager on it from just those pics. That hatch arse is one of the things I was looking at.

Good stuff rtp and dead on the money about how certain angles and poses in pictures can really make deer look older or younger than they really are!
I also believe you are spot on with your post about how younger bucks typically don't have stains running all the way down their legs this is usually something you see only in mature+ bucks. It almost seems to me most bucks don't start getting it all the way down their legs until 6.5 or older most times.

By the way, that was one hell of an 8 pt! How big was he? I am a huge sucker for bit 8s man! LOL

Here is mine from last year at my place in far Eastern Bexar County. I am damn proud of this deer.
Heck of a deer for our area for sure and one that I'd been watching grow up the past 4 seasons.
Keep in mind I tend to make things look smaller than they are in pictures as I haven't missed too many meals and am 6'4" 260. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6156172 01/26/16 09:39 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
On the OP's post, I would guess that buck at a 3 1/2.

You did what?
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6156177 01/26/16 09:42 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Here's a few more pics of the original deer in question, along with dates.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6156197 01/26/16 09:51 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Neck lines sure fit the description of an older deer to me.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: redchevy] #6156236 01/26/16 10:08 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Neck lines sure fit the description of an older deer to me.
Agreed. No way this deer is 3.5 IMHO. His neck goes all the way to the bottom of his chest. I just cant make up my mind if he is mature or post mature. I have never seen a 3.5 yr old with those types of scars/wounds either. But like I said earlier, there are no absolutes in this game. Just best guesses.

Last edited by rtp; 01/26/16 10:10 PM.

Let'em grow old
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6157213 01/27/16 11:53 AM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Either way..........SAUSAGE. food

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6157290 01/27/16 01:43 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
George, the last two pictures you posted still have me at the same conclusion.......5.5+

I agree with rtp when looking at where his neck meets his chest......there is NO drop down into the brisket. To me, that is a dead giveaway in most cases he is mature (5.5+)

Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: fouzman] #6157502 01/27/16 03:42 PM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: fouzman
His rump and the hump above his shoulders is what's throwing me. From that second photo, the deer appears to be at least 5 1/2 and probably older.

I agree... Looks 5 1/2 at least to me

[Linked Image]
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6157576 01/27/16 04:35 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
He really falls off in his rear end. His nose is wider than his butt. Looks like and old man to me. 6.5 or older.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6159699 01/28/16 09:39 PM
K
kick2theside Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
yes 4.5

Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6160042 01/29/16 01:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
5 yr old from those pics, don't see enough other indicators of being older IMO.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Guesses at age of this buck? [Re: rtp] #6160357 01/29/16 03:56 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: rtp

How old is this deer?
I'd guess 3.5 years old.

Bobby Barnett

Page 2 of 2 1 2