Page 1 of 2 1 2
AG exempt? #6150887 01/23/16 11:46 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
If land was AG exempt a couple years ago, how hard is it to get it back?

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150897 01/23/16 11:53 PM
D
DaveTexas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
can be difficult.
varies from county to county.
In Edwards County. (if they go by the letter of the law)
you would have to run cattle (or approved livestock) on the place for 5 of the most recent 7 years.
on top of that you have to have 400 acres + that you are running cattle on (so you can join adjacent ranches for the livestock)
after that you can then go apply for the Wildlife Management Exemption (with Wildlife Exemption you can have smaller acreage)

Last edited by DaveTexas; 01/24/16 12:34 AM.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150905 01/23/16 11:57 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Depends on the county. How was the property exempt? Did the previous owner have livestock,bee hives or did he lease the pasture to someone for grazing? Going to depend on the a few things.

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150906 01/23/16 11:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It will take 5 yrs of current ag use to get it back. If the acreage is small and been taxed for recreational use it might be difficult depending on the county and their regs.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150919 01/24/16 12:05 AM
D
DaveTexas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I had my father go up to Edwards County to drop off ourAnnual Wildlife Report.
While he was waiting in line a couple came in and had not filed an annual report since something like 2009.
they claimed they didn't know you had to file every year.

I would imagine that is going to be an expensive mistake.
I doubt the County would let them go back and file multiple past annual reports to get caught back up.

Last edited by DaveTexas; 01/24/16 12:07 AM.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150932 01/24/16 12:09 AM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
It's small, 15 acres...and hasn't been exempt for 4 years. I will ask the realtor what it was exempt for before. I am guess wildlife management though as it has a creek running through, a small pond and has only ever been used for hunting.

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150947 01/24/16 12:17 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: jsplinter
It's small, 15 acres...and hasn't been exempt for 4 years. I will ask the realtor what it was exempt for before. I am guess wildlife management though as it has a creek running through, a small pond and has only ever been used for hunting.

How it was currently taxed the past year or two will be the way it will be taxed for this year. Ag exempt 4 yrs ago will not help you today. The new owner will need 5 continuous yrs of ag income to show before they will consider giving you ag taxes after those 5 yrs. If the taxes were switched to wildlife 4 yrs ago then they may roll over to you and continue(it does not automatically transfer), if the taxes were paid for recreational value you will probably be SOL.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6150975 01/24/16 12:31 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
If you are working it and turning revenue... positive or negative doesn't matter either way that's fine but you ARE WORKING IT.
If you are just trying to get outes of paying your share of tax because you can buy preperty and scam someone you are a POS.

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #6150998 01/24/16 12:46 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
If you are working it and turning revenue... positive or negative doesn't matter either way that's fine but you ARE WORKING IT.
If you are just trying to get outes of paying your share of tax because you can buy preperty and scam someone you are a POS.

Why be a DB? this guy asks a question about getting ag exemption and you go calling him a POS? For what?

I suppose you don't claim your mortgage or any other tax exemption since that would be a POS thing to do...

I don't understand why you put that comment in there. Leave it at the first sentence (factual) and leave the second one (opinion) out

Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #6151003 01/24/16 12:49 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Man where is a moderator when you need one! The original poster purchased this through a veteran program. As far as I'm concerned he's paid his fair share. Talk about open mouth insert foot!

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151005 01/24/16 12:49 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My place is AG exempt for cattle. I personally think that if a landowner actively traps hogs year round then they should get some kind of tax break. It's really frustrating to see the damage they can do. JMO

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: SouthWestIron] #6151019 01/24/16 12:58 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: blazin

Man where is a moderator when you need one! The original poster purchased this through a veteran program. As far as I'm concerned he's paid his fair share. Talk about open mouth insert foot!

I put my foot in my mouth?
Agriculture exempt is for people that use their property for AGRICULTURE PRODUCTION.
This has absolutely nothing to do with him being a veteran.

PRIVATELY OWNED
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151024 01/24/16 01:02 AM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Then I don't qualify, the realtor that showed us the property told me it used to be AG exempt and that it maybe could be again. I know nothing about it so I asked the question.

Re: AG exempt? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6151029 01/24/16 01:05 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

Why be a DB? this guy asks a question about getting ag exemption and you go calling him a POS? For what?

I suppose you don't claim your mortgage or any other tax exemption since that would be a POS thing to do...

I don't understand why you put that comment in there. Leave it at the first sentence (factual) and leave the second one (opinion) out

So Im a DB for saying he needs to pay taxes on his property that he isnt producing agriculture on?
OK...... wanna rethink that????

PRIVATELY OWNED
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151030 01/24/16 01:05 AM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I'm not trying to get over on anyone or get out of paying taxes and I am not trying to use my veteran status for gain. It's my job just like your job is your job

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151031 01/24/16 01:06 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, here is some reading first of all.
http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_101.pdf

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151033 01/24/16 01:08 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I'm not trying to bust your chops but dont expect to skirt from the taxes...
For us that have to work to keep our exemption it is a kick in our teeth that someone decides to just pay for land and not pay taxes... or even for their truck liscence plates.... or for trailer liscence plates....

PRIVATELY OWNED
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151039 01/24/16 01:10 AM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I was actually thinking if I was able to get anything it would be wildlife management. I knew I couldn't get straight AG since I am not producing anything. I thought they both are under the same thing though so that's why I said AG.

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151041 01/24/16 01:12 AM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I'm not trying to skirt anything. I will pay my $35 a month for taxes. It was just a question I knew nothing about and thought my fellow THFfers could help me out with

Re: AG exempt? [Re: SouthWestIron] #6151050 01/24/16 01:18 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_101.pdf[/quote[quote=blazin]It ain't over until the fat lady sings, here is some reading first of all.

Dip-itty doo---- according to you he paid his dues as a Veteran...... so that made him legible to not pay his taxes.
get it right or shutup

PRIVATELY OWNED
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151062 01/24/16 01:28 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I'm not trying to skirt anything. I will pay my $35 a month for taxes. It was just a question I knew nothing about and thought my fellow THFfers could help me out with

I apologize if I was rude to you.
As someone that pays taxes on alot of things just because it was exempt beforehand is not necessarily gonna make it exempt for you. Check with your accountant and if you do not have one the tax assessor in your county can point you in the right direction.

PRIVATELY OWNED
Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #6151063 01/24/16 01:29 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

So Im a DB for saying he needs to pay taxes on his property that he isnt producing agriculture on?
OK...... wanna rethink that????

No I said it was fine what you said in the first sentence, the second sentence was uncalled for. That's exactly what I said, no parsing it around since I wrote it out for you in my post....

Wanna re-read that??

Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #6151071 01/24/16 01:34 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I apologize if I was rude to you.
As someone that pays taxes on alot of things just because it was exempt beforehand is not necessarily gonna make it exempt for you. Check with your accountant and if you do not have one the tax assessor in your county can point you in the right direction.

No offense dude, but you have assumed something from the beginning of this thread and been rude all through it, just look at your posts and the tone of the language.
I applaud your apology to the OP, takes some manhood to apologize for jumping him when all he asked was a simple question. The one thing I hate about the Internet is it gives people the inability to know or see the people they are talking to, and assumptions or intentions are made that weren't ever there. cheers

Edit: btw, we all pay taxes, some of us more than others, and all the smart ones will take every legal chance we can to reduce our payment to Uncle Sam...all legal methods being the key point there. I agree that people that do this illegally are POS

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 01/24/16 01:37 AM.
Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151079 01/24/16 01:37 AM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Every county is different. There can be many avenues which is why it's called Ag/timber. Could be fruit trees, pecans, hay, cows, horses (breeding), etc......I have a buddy running cows on his, needs 4 more years to gain exemption. I'm exempt with horse breeding but could use the pecans or hay if I needed it. Then again I could just give it all back and pay a pile of money in taxes......you can also go from Ag exempt to wildlife but from what I understand you can't go the other way. I would be fearful of them removing wildlife exemptions at some point but that's just me, don't know if they ever would.

Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter] #6151088 01/24/16 01:39 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My understanding of the ag/wildlife is the ag needs to be in place for several year before you can even get the wildlife, but it is still under the ag exemption on the Texas website, so that's where confusion could lie too. Each county is different as per what qualifies for ag exemption.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide