6244064 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6150887 - 01/23/16 05:46 PM AG exempt?
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Copperas Cove
If land was AG exempt a couple years ago, how hard is it to get it back?

#6150897 - 01/23/16 05:53 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
DaveTexas Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Rocksprings (hunting)
can be difficult.
varies from county to county.
In Edwards County. (if they go by the letter of the law)
you would have to run cattle (or approved livestock) on the place for 5 of the most recent 7 years.
on top of that you have to have 400 acres + that you are running cattle on (so you can join adjacent ranches for the livestock)
after that you can then go apply for the Wildlife Management Exemption (with Wildlife Exemption you can have smaller acreage)

Edited by DaveTexas (01/23/16 06:34 PM)

#6150905 - 01/23/16 05:57 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
blazin Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
Depends on the county. How was the property exempt? Did the previous owner have livestock,bee hives or did he lease the pasture to someone for grazing? Going to depend on the a few things.

#6150906 - 01/23/16 05:57 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

It will take 5 yrs of current ag use to get it back. If the acreage is small and been taxed for recreational use it might be difficult depending on the county and their regs.

#6150919 - 01/23/16 06:05 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
DaveTexas Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Rocksprings (hunting)
I had my father go up to Edwards County to drop off ourAnnual Wildlife Report.
While he was waiting in line a couple came in and had not filed an annual report since something like 2009.
they claimed they didn't know you had to file every year.

I would imagine that is going to be an expensive mistake.
I doubt the County would let them go back and file multiple past annual reports to get caught back up.

Edited by DaveTexas (01/23/16 06:07 PM)

#6150932 - 01/23/16 06:09 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

It's small, 15 acres...and hasn't been exempt for 4 years. I will ask the realtor what it was exempt for before. I am guess wildlife management though as it has a creek running through, a small pond and has only ever been used for hunting.

#6150947 - 01/23/16 06:17 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: jsplinter
It's small, 15 acres...and hasn't been exempt for 4 years. I will ask the realtor what it was exempt for before. I am guess wildlife management though as it has a creek running through, a small pond and has only ever been used for hunting.

How it was currently taxed the past year or two will be the way it will be taxed for this year. Ag exempt 4 yrs ago will not help you today. The new owner will need 5 continuous yrs of ag income to show before they will consider giving you ag taxes after those 5 yrs. If the taxes were switched to wildlife 4 yrs ago then they may roll over to you and continue(it does not automatically transfer), if the taxes were paid for recreational value you will probably be SOL.

#6150975 - 01/23/16 06:31 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Victoria, Texas
If you are working it and turning revenue... positive or negative doesn't matter either way that's fine but you ARE WORKING IT.
If you are just trying to get outes of paying your share of tax because you can buy preperty and scam someone you are a POS.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.

#6150998 - 01/23/16 06:46 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service]
Texas buckeye Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
If you are working it and turning revenue... positive or negative doesn't matter either way that's fine but you ARE WORKING IT.
If you are just trying to get outes of paying your share of tax because you can buy preperty and scam someone you are a POS.

Why be a DB? this guy asks a question about getting ag exemption and you go calling him a POS? For what?

I suppose you don't claim your mortgage or any other tax exemption since that would be a POS thing to do...

I don't understand why you put that comment in there. Leave it at the first sentence (factual) and leave the second one (opinion) out

#6151003 - 01/23/16 06:49 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: Kbar Ag Service]
blazin Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas

Man where is a moderator when you need one! The original poster purchased this through a veteran program. As far as I'm concerned he's paid his fair share. Talk about open mouth insert foot!

#6151005 - 01/23/16 06:49 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
TexasKC Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston & Lexington, Texas
My place is AG exempt for cattle. I personally think that if a landowner actively traps hogs year round then they should get some kind of tax break. It's really frustrating to see the damage they can do. JMO

#6151019 - 01/23/16 06:58 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: blazin]
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: blazin

Man where is a moderator when you need one! The original poster purchased this through a veteran program. As far as I'm concerned he's paid his fair share. Talk about open mouth insert foot!

I put my foot in my mouth?
Agriculture exempt is for people that use their property for AGRICULTURE PRODUCTION.
This has absolutely nothing to do with him being a veteran.

#6151024 - 01/23/16 07:02 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

Then I don't qualify, the realtor that showed us the property told me it used to be AG exempt and that it maybe could be again. I know nothing about it so I asked the question.

#6151029 - 01/23/16 07:05 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: Texas buckeye]
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

Why be a DB? this guy asks a question about getting ag exemption and you go calling him a POS? For what?

I suppose you don't claim your mortgage or any other tax exemption since that would be a POS thing to do...

I don't understand why you put that comment in there. Leave it at the first sentence (factual) and leave the second one (opinion) out

So Im a DB for saying he needs to pay taxes on his property that he isnt producing agriculture on?
OK...... wanna rethink that????

#6151030 - 01/23/16 07:05 PM Re: AG exempt? [Re: jsplinter]
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

I'm not trying to get over on anyone or get out of paying taxes and I am not trying to use my veteran status for gain. It's my job just like your job is your job

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide