Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
How much land is the minmum? #6146946 01/21/16 07:47 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I thought about asking these questions when it came up on a different thread but I will ask them here. I hunted 10 acres last season and next season I will be hunting 15 acres, as long as everything goes well I will be closing on the 1st of March. I know a lot of you say this is way to small to hunt and instead you have to be on huge acreage leases. I've never been a fan of leasing, whether it be my house, car, or land, I would much rather own. So for that reason I hunt what I can afford.

What do you guys think the minimum safe amount of land to hunt is? When hunting small acreage what would you do to minimize the chances of a ricochet, trust me this is a concern of mine and I will have all my shots set up to where they go in the direction of other wide open acreage. What about building back stops? or hunting shotgun only with slugs, which is how I grew up and still have to hunt if I go back to my parents house in Wisconsin?

All these questions are more along the line of if these things are taken into consideration would it make some of you big acreage guys ok with hunting small properties?

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6146976 01/21/16 07:56 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The right small acreage can be productive, know one guy that had 7 acres in Lampassas county that got his deer every year, no one hunted very close to him and his one stand looked down into a draw so he was keeping bullets on his place for any shots.

On a 32 acre place I have taken over 40 deer in the last 30 years with most of those on just 2 acres of it. Location, location, location.

Main thing is keeping it safe on what ever size place and know the adjoining land owners and be on good terms with them, incase you ever need to go there to recover an animal. Good to ne good neighbors anyway.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147058 01/21/16 08:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, the area should be large enough so there is little or no chance that you will not be able to retrieve a deer without trespassing on your surrounding neighbor's property.

From a more ethical standpoint, it would seem the property would be large enough to support and sustain the deer you will be harvesting. Otherwise, you're just leeching off your neighbors.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147070 01/21/16 08:39 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Just be safe and there is no minimum.. being able to elevate yourself will help a lot or take up bow hunting. or even a crossbow. Always good to know what is surrounding you also.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147169 01/21/16 09:29 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Too many factors to be so black and white. I've hunted 10 acres that was more huntable than my 300 acre lease, due to the shape of the properties, neighbors, etc.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147207 01/21/16 09:50 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I'd be a bit scared if people/housing surrounded a small parcel, as far as rifle hunting. Never know when them neighbor's kids (if any) would be stupid enough to trespass and in the wrong spot of the wrong time. Just never know.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147227 01/21/16 09:59 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
10 acres in Illinois woods, 1,000 acres in west Texas, or 10,000 acres in mountains could all be equivalent "minimum". smile

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147351 01/21/16 11:03 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
These are all along with my thinking. I think any amount of land can be hunted if it is set in the right location and has the right conditions. My first 10 acre I hunted into a draw and my new 15 acres is completely wooded.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147378 01/21/16 11:22 PM
T
trapperben Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Shared a 70 acre lease in the hill country with a friend. We had two feeders and there were no high fence land in the area. I thought it was about the same as having a section as far as drawing deer and turkey. We took all the deer we wanted. Owner sold it or I would still like to have it.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6147554 01/22/16 12:42 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
If you have enough woods next door, and the neighbor property has no one living close by or hunting close by, you could be OK. If there's someone there, you'll be bothering them, and you'll have neighbor problems for the rest of your life. Make friends first, hunt later.

If you do hunt on this small, stay in an elevated blind, not on the ground. Your shots will go downward. The backstop idea is good. You could also try bowhunting. Make safety rules for yourself and never break them, even if a huge animal walks by.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Texas Dan] #6147557 01/22/16 12:43 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, the area should be large enough so there is little or no chance that you will not be able to retrieve a deer without trespassing on your surrounding neighbor's property.

From a more ethical standpoint, it would seem the property would be large enough to support and sustain the deer you will be harvesting. Otherwise, you're just leeching off your neighbors.

in low fence situations, what constitutes who owns a deer? Here in LA, the deer (except those purchased and put on high fence land) belong to the state of LA. Not sure in TX. I have had the pleasure of hunting in TX one time and even though we were on a place of several hundred acres, I could see fences separating the various places. I saw deer on several occasions crossing these fences. So who did the deer belong to? I could see scenarios in TX where the deer could cross into several different landowners' places in one day, especially during the rut. And whoever takes the deer and tags it, no matter how much land they were hunting on would be the owner of the deer in my opinion. And if taken by legal means, they wouldn't be leeching off of their neighbors IMO. Neither do I see it as unethical when the animal was taken by legal means. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148074 01/22/16 04:52 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
They belong to the state here as well.

Location, location depends on size. Where I hunt you need about 160 acres a hunter. The deer density just isn't that high. Maybe 1 deer per 20 to 25 acres for us. Mature bucks probably 1 per 400 to 500 acres.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148366 01/22/16 01:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
This all comes down to what type of wildlife steward you decide to be. Many small landowners contribute to the overall good of their wildlife population.

However, many choose to take all they can without consideration of the long term effect. I remember earlier this season your post about all the deer your in laws have killed this year on that 10 acres. Yes, it is true that the state owns the deer, not the neighbors. If we all own the deer, we should be managing them as if there are no fences or boundaries. We should look at bedding and feeding areas, food sources, water and population of the big picture, being the amount of acres that we are hunting that support the local/core area of the deer herd that lives there.

Sadly, this rarely happens. It turns into this is all about me and what I want. I own this land, it's the states deer and I'll shoot as many as I legally can, even though most or all of the deer I'm shooting don't live on my land, they just briefly cross it or feed on it.

It's this attitude that has resulted in the majority of landowners deciding to high fence their land. I can assure you as long as this trend of small land ownership continues and the owners hunt like your in laws, high fences will continue to expand their range.

IMO the biggest risk to small land ownership besides the safety aspect is being high fenced out for these reasons .

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 01/22/16 02:11 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: kmon11] #6148381 01/22/16 02:04 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: kmon1
The right small acreage can be productive, know one guy that had 7 acres in Lampassas county that got his deer every year, no one hunted very close to him and his one stand looked down into a draw so he was keeping bullets on his place for any shots.

On a 32 acre place I have taken over 40 deer in the last 30 years with most of those on just 2 acres of it. Location, location, location.

Main thing is keeping it safe on what ever size place and know the adjoining land owners and be on good terms with them, incase you ever need to go there to recover an animal. Good to ne good neighbors anyway.

up

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148462 01/22/16 02:37 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Totally depends on the place and the area around you.

I have 80 acres that basically surrounds a 15-acre parcel owned by another guy. The way the woods and creeks are, deer funnel right through his 15 acres. He's killed way more out there than I ever have.

It doesn't bother me because we're actually overpopulated and need to kill more. Just saying, he probably takes 3-4 off his 15 acres a year and it's a non-issue.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148513 01/22/16 02:57 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
For me personally, the "minimum number" depends on how many deer I want to kill off it each year. For me, it needs to be able to sustainable support my harvest. What this number of acres is will depend on what part of the state you're in, deer densities, etc. But, with typical Hill CO deer densities I could get by with ~50 acres or so if I had to, and feel good with my family shooting 3 or 4 each year.

I am not a fan of small acreage shooting way more than the land supports "just because they can and it's legal." Many a high fence has gone up due to neighbors like this.

I also agree that your acreage should be able to fully contain all your hunting activity. This includes shots and recovering deer you're hunting.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6148577 01/22/16 03:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This all comes down to what type of wildlife steward you decide to be. Many small landowners contribute to the overall good of their wildlife population.

However, many choose to take all they can without consideration of the long term effect. I remember earlier this season your post about all the deer your in laws have killed this year on that 10 acres. Yes, it is true that the state owns the deer, not the neighbors. If we all own the deer, we should be managing them as if there are no fences or boundaries. We should look at bedding and feeding areas, food sources, water and population of the big picture, being the amount of acres that we are hunting that support the local/core area of the deer herd that lives there.

Sadly, this rarely happens. It turns into this is all about me and what I want. I own this land, it's the states deer and I'll shoot as many as I legally can, even though most or all of the deer I'm shooting don't live on my land, they just briefly cross it or feed on it.

It's this attitude that has resulted in the majority of landowners deciding to high fence their land. I can assure you as long as this trend of small land ownership continues and the owners hunt like your in laws, high fences will continue to expand their range.

IMO the biggest risk to small land ownership besides the safety aspect is being high fenced out for these reasons .

up

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148602 01/22/16 03:36 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with Pitchfork, deer aren't an ever ending supply, especially on small acreage. Even the heavy pressure can manipulate their presence, irregardless if you are in high deer density areas.

As far as the "safety factor". I think you already have that idea down, since that isn't that complicated. If you have to go shotgun/bow to be safe in your opinion, then there you go.

On the flip side, I have seen people fire off on larger properties with an apparent disregard for the range of a rifle, even a .22. Common sense can solve a lot of issues.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6148618 01/22/16 03:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

IMO the reason most HF their land has zip, zero, nada to do with their neighbors' bad actions. It is so they can control what goes on on THEIR place. This is indisputably true if non-native animals are introduced and/or the now-enclosed deer are allowed to increase in number well beyond native carrying capacity.As is most often the case on both counts with HF.

I agree with you HFs are a big negative for small landowners. I'll never buy the BS line that it's all the small landowners' fault.

That's insult to injury IMO.

Support HF as freedom and a legal property right? I get it. We can just agree to disagree.

LO's trying to justify their actions in HFing their property and ruining their neighbors' hunting by blaming it on their neighbors for exercising THEIR legal property rights?
Disingenuous whining/blame shifting. You HF it? Then "own" your actions and don't act like a democrat by blaming someone else for your actions.

Basically saying "Too dang bad I'm bigger than you so I'm going to ruin your hunting.Suck it up, buttercup."

And folks call me an "elitist". smile

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/22/16 03:47 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Sneaky] #6148635 01/22/16 03:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Too many factors to be so black and white. I've hunted 10 acres that was more huntable than my 300 acre lease, due to the shape of the properties, neighbors, etc.

This.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148636 01/22/16 03:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I hunted 10 acres last season and next season I will be hunting 15 acres, as long as everything goes well I will be closing on the 1st of March. I know a lot of you say this is way to small to hunt and instead you have to be on huge acreage leases. I've never been a fan of leasing, whether it be my house, car, or land, I would much rather own. So for that reason I hunt what I can afford.

What do you guys think the minimum safe amount of land to hunt is? When hunting small acreage what would you do to minimize the chances of a ricochet, trust me this is a concern of mine and I will have all my shots set up to where they go in the direction of other wide open acreage.

It is far too easy for a bullet to leave the property at 10 or 15 acres when you are using "wide open acreage" as your safety. As noted, it would be much safer to be well elevated and shooting down into the ground to make that work well. You can also do what a couple of my buddies did and just placed berms behind their feeders. Turns out to have worked better than expected. The small burrow pits for the berms pool and hold water (like a prairie pothole) for several days after a rain, creating an additional resource.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148687 01/22/16 04:15 PM
HansAg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I asked a game warden this once out of curiosity, and was told as long as the projectile doesn't leave your property. Now there is much more to consider than just that, but thought the answer I got was interesting.

Southern Buck Outfitters
Premier Whitetail & Exotic Hunts in Texas
www.southernbuckoutfitters.com
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6148712 01/22/16 04:30 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I hunted 10 acres last season and next season I will be hunting 15 acres, as long as everything goes well I will be closing on the 1st of March. I know a lot of you say this is way to small to hunt and instead you have to be on huge acreage leases. I've never been a fan of leasing, whether it be my house, car, or land, I would much rather own. So for that reason I hunt what I can afford.

What do you guys think the minimum safe amount of land to hunt is? When hunting small acreage what would you do to minimize the chances of a ricochet, trust me this is a concern of mine and I will have all my shots set up to where they go in the direction of other wide open acreage.

It is far too easy for a bullet to leave the property at 10 or 15 acres when you are using "wide open acreage" as your safety.

I wasn't saying it was my safety, I still make sure that all my other safeties are in place, but if for some reason one of those safeties fail I like to ensure I have "wide open space" on the other side. Where I am at there is no "wide open" space, what I mean by that is land that is acreage without a house in direct line. I feel confident though with my safeties set up that I wont be crossing a line.

Last edited by jsplinter; 01/22/16 04:30 PM.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148722 01/22/16 04:34 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
And I'm not saying I'm right or anything on this topic. I just saw a different guy get told that he can't safely shoot on 52 acres so I figured I would start this thread. (I'm bored now that hunting is over)

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148732 01/22/16 04:37 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
for small tracts I would also get the minimum to state law hunting so other jurisdictions can't stop you from hunting. 10 acres for archery and 50 acres for rifle. I would love to have 10 acres here in Southlake for bow hunting, there are some BIG bucks and Southlake has a law against hunting, but you could tell them to stuff it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide