Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149537 01/22/16 11:49 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Keeping a projectile on 10 acres 1 time is entirely different than keeping numerous projectiles on 10 acres EVERY TIME.

Yes, you probably keep the bullet on 10 acres SOME OR MOST of the time. To guarantee that you can keep EVERY projectile on 10 acres EVERY time is asinine.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149542 01/22/16 11:49 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry Max. Those generalizations don't pass the sniff test. Apply it to colt. No money but serious hunter.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149549 01/22/16 11:52 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: jsplinter
It wa kind of a loaded question, I knew I would get lots of different views on what is acceptable. Now that I own in, in a few months, I will be starting my feed with corn and protein stating as soon as I take ownership. Also next to each feeder is a large water container, and the property has a creek with a pretty good size pond. I have high hopes and am pretty excited.

Congrats on your purchase. It sounds really nice. I wish you the best with your new land. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6149563 01/23/16 12:04 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
I can tell by looking at a man's feeder & stand set up what kind of hunter he probably is. A shitty corn feeder only running a month or 2, with a shitty plyboard stand, indicated they are not serious, just wanting to "fill muh freezer".

So only trophy hunters with pricey stands and feeders are serious?

Sounds pretty snobby to me. To the OP, every property is different. I rifle hunted 11 acres and bow hunted 5 acres for several years with no issues. Burms and elevated stands work well. Just because your neighbor has a big nice place, invests more, and has nicer set-ups doesn't mean the deer are his. That fence line is normally not "his" either. It's a shame that so many folks with large tracts look down on their "little" neighbors. On that note, I also know what it feels like to be on a larger property and have neighbors on their 15 acre tract shoot anything that jumps the fence. I may not like it, at all, but it's their deer too.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Cast] #6149569 01/23/16 12:08 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I guess we are just gonna have to disagree.

What I'm saying is not snobbish or rocket science. Serious people buy serious equipment, again GENERALLY SPEAKING.

If someone is a serious water skier, they are probably gonna have a really nice boat & nice skis. Not a Jon boat & 2x6. Yet both COULD water ski..........

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149575 01/23/16 12:13 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Holy crudola! cry

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149602 01/23/16 12:39 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I guess we are just gonna have to disagree.

What I'm saying is not snobbish or rocket science. Serious people buy serious equipment, again GENERALLY SPEAKING.

If someone is a serious water skier, they are probably gonna have a really nice boat & nice skis. Not a Jon boat & 2x6. Yet both COULD water ski..........

rofl I do judge people by their setups sometimes, but a $4000 stand and a $2000 stand doesn't make me think that my neighbor is a primo hunter. Some of the most serious people that I know hunt out of some of the most rickety set ups and will sit in them all day.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149617 01/23/16 12:48 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Some of the most serious hunters I know do not use stands or feeders. If they do use stands it is a wood platform in a tree. Best hunting locations many times are where there are no stands and use what is available from nature.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: kmon11] #6149621 01/23/16 12:51 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Some of the most serious hunters I know do not use stands or feeders. If they do use stands it is a wood platform in a tree. Best hunting locations many times are where there are no stands and use what is available from nature.

Yep

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149678 01/23/16 01:31 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Keeping a projectile on 10 acres 1 time is entirely different than keeping numerous projectiles on 10 acres EVERY TIME.

Yes, you probably keep the bullet on 10 acres SOME OR MOST of the time. To guarantee that you can keep EVERY projectile on 10 acres EVERY time is asinine.

If I only shoot once, then that is every time. I don't shoot a lot when I hunt. I also have the ability to be selective with my shots when necessary. I have bow hunted small properties for that very reason. To claim what I can or can't do is presumptuous.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149719 01/23/16 01:51 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can tell by looking at a man's feeder & stand set up what kind of hunter he probably is. A shitty corn feeder only running a month or 2, with a shitty plyboard stand, indicated they are not serious, just wanting to "fill muh freezer".

I guess I am that guy, but we do feed more than 2 months a year, we start in mid September and shut them off mid December. Our neighbors in both sides feed year around, they have hog problems, the hogs continually tear up their fences, rooting up their fields and generally mess their places up. We don't have that problem, because we don't feed the hogs year around. During the drought we did feed more, but not with auto feeders, we corned the roads and filled troughs.

The 3 blinds were built in the 1980's it works for my son and nephews, I prefer the bedroom window of the cabin, so I can watch TV and the wheat field. Besides I don't see any correlation between how someone's blinds look and how they hunt. Our deer are so used to tractors, I could ride around on the tractor and shoot my limit in a day. If I wanted to fill the freezer I would use the tractor.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149880 01/23/16 03:26 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: blazin
Please enlighten us some more how a man's feeder and his blind tell you what kind of hunter he is.

GENERALLY SPEAKING. if you see a guy with good equipment, hes serious about what he does.

If you see a guy with no protein feeder, no food plot, a cheap [censored] $100 Wal Mart feeder, & a POS particle board stand, he's probably not very serious. GENERALLY SPEAKING.

If someone spends time, money & effort on something, it's probably important to them. If they don't, it probably ain't. YMMV.

Same way I can tell GENERALLY SPEAKING how serious a hunter is by his rifle & (more importantly) his scope. If a guy has a $20 scope & another guy has Leupold, which would you reckon is more serious about hunting?

Same with other equipment & other hobbies. Scuba, motorcycles, cars, you name it.

I don't have a food plot yet, I don't feed protein as of yet. I built my own feeders. On one of my feeders I just bought a tripod. On the other feeder we used some sort of agricultural three sided sheet paneled thing and roughed in a blind underneath an oak tree.(Son shot his first fair sized buck on his own land and signed the tag with his name in this thing)Oh and he did it with a little rossi single shot 30.06 wth a Nikon 140 dollar scope. We all shoot 30.06 in order to save funds. nidea I can tell you we are all serious as a heart attack about taking a deer. I shoot an old model 670 that's at least 20 years old and only recently upgraded from a Tasco scope to a low end Vortex. I recently splurged and got my oldest a Savage 111 package with a Nikon bdc.(thing is a tack driver)
We drive about 500 miles or 7 hours one way to get to our place in a truck that I love that will be 20 years old next year. A truck that the camper doesn't match the pickup, but its paid for. A place I've sunk my entire life earnings and everything I have into acquiring.
Based on your GENERAL SPEAKING post. If you pulled up next to me on the road you'd probably glance over at my truck and say, look at that poor bastard he must hate driving. loco Paints pealing and his camper doesn't even match his truck! That guy doesn't have two nickels to rub together. However you'd be dead wrong! I'm headed to my own piece of Texas! I'm headed to walk my fields and woods and creek bottom and relish in the beauty of the natural world and the spirit of the wild.(Nugent is a friend). happy3 I'm headed to watch my own flesh and blood harvest their own protein on land they own and work. Nah we are not serious hunters we just don't get it. Not sure where we went wrong!

Last edited by blazin; 01/23/16 03:39 AM.
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149939 01/23/16 04:06 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

That assumption is assinine. Shoot from a 15' tree stand in the middle of 10 acres, and none of this bullets are crossing a fence line. Hunt from a ground blind on a 10 acre pasture, you're probably right.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149949 01/23/16 04:13 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Some of the best hunters I know don't have much in the way of expensive equipment. It ain't about the equipment.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149964 01/23/16 04:23 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Please enlighten us some more how a man's feeder and his blind tell you what kind of hunter he is.

GENERALLY SPEAKING. if you see a guy with good equipment, hes serious about what he does.

If you see a guy with no protein feeder, no food plot, a cheap [censored] $100 Wal Mart feeder, & a POS particle board stand, he's probably not very serious. GENERALLY SPEAKING.

If someone spends time, money & effort on something, it's probably important to them. If they don't, it probably ain't. YMMV.

Same way I can tell GENERALLY SPEAKING how serious a hunter is by his rifle & (more importantly) his scope. If a guy has a $20 scope & another guy has Leupold, which would you reckon is more serious about hunting?

Same with other equipment & other hobbies. Scuba, motorcycles, cars, you name it.

Wow. I hunt out of hand built stand that cost $175 in lumber, and I use a $100 feeder. My feeder runs year round BTW. I made 15-20 trips to hunt this year. I live and breathe hunting. I'll spend 50-60 days this year hunting (yea, that's about 1/4 of the year) Deer, dove, rabbit, squirell, and pigs. I do so on 100 acres.

So lets decide, which one of use is more serious about hunting?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: SouthWestIron] #6149970 01/23/16 04:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

I don't have a food plot yet, I don't feed protein as of yet. I built my own feeders. On one of my feeders I just bought a tripod. On the other feeder we used some sort of agricultural three sided sheet paneled thing and roughed in a blind underneath an oak tree.(Son shot his first fair sized buck on his own land and signed the tag with his name in this thing)Oh and he did it with a little rossi single shot 30.06 wth a Nikon 140 dollar scope. We all shoot 30.06 in order to save funds. nidea I can tell you we are all serious as a heart attack about taking a deer. I shoot an old model 670 that's at least 20 years old and only recently upgraded from a Tasco scope to a low end Vortex. I recently splurged and got my oldest a Savage 111 package with a Nikon bdc.(thing is a tack driver)
We drive about 500 miles or 7 hours one way to get to our place in a truck that I love that will be 20 years old next year. A truck that the camper doesn't match the pickup, but its paid for. A place I've sunk my entire life earnings and everything I have into acquiring.
Based on your GENERAL SPEAKING post. If you pulled up next to me on the road you'd probably glance over at my truck and say, look at that poor bastard he must hate driving. loco Paints pealing and his camper doesn't even match his truck! That guy doesn't have two nickels to rub together. However you'd be dead wrong! I'm headed to my own piece of Texas! I'm headed to walk my fields and woods and creek bottom and relish in the beauty of the natural world and the spirit of the wild.(Nugent is a friend). happy3 I'm headed to watch my own flesh and blood harvest their own protein on land they own and work. Nah we are not serious hunters we just don't get it. Not sure where we went wrong!

I do like to have nice things but what Maximus doesn't understand is that just because you have all top notch equipment doesn't make you a better more serious hunter (or fisherman) than someone else. I've seen this EXACT same scenario played over and over again in my life LOL. Guys show up at the ranch with top of the line equipment and have no clue what the hell to do with it. What I mean is, that Zeiss scope is nice and that high dollar custom rifle is REAL nice but you can't hit chit with it and can't tell a deer track from a pig track. Never think about the wind and can't be quiet to save your life. Having nice, more expensive things does not make you a more serious hunter. I killed a CRAP load of deer and pigs looking through a Tasco or a Bushnell scope, mounted on an old cheap Savage or Winchester rifle, hunting out of a run down box blind or a ground blind because I didn't have the funds at the time for what I wanted. It's not what you have, it's what you can do with it. Yes, that's what she said. roflmao Not attacking you Maximus and not saying you don't know what to do with your equipment, just saying that I've met my share of folks who had nice/more expensive equipment that looooved to talk about what they had but pretty much sucked at hunting. up

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149983 01/23/16 04:46 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
It's a materialistic mindset thing, and probably applies more to fisherman. For years when I was younger we fished from a used 14' aluminum john boat. Lots of really nice big fast skinny water boats would fly by so fast they had no idea what they were passing up. Would get looked at funny by many of them at the dock putting in, like look at these poor suckers in a slow azz little freakin' john boat with a 25 HP motor. Funny how many of them changed their attitudes at the fish cleaning station. roflmao all of a sudden they were friendly and wanted to know what we were using etc...

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150071 01/23/16 12:13 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
My first blind was brush piled up in front of a shallow draw. Killed a lot of deer there. Killed quite a few deer sitting with my back against a tree with no more cammo than a pair of jeans and a brown jacket. Gotta be pretty serious about hunting in the middle of the winter without a heated blind and no feeder! It can work with a little scouting and planning.

That being said, I don't mind hunting from a blind and over a feeder!

Being serious doesn't have to have squat to do with the money you spend on equipment. It's commitment and desire.

[Linked Image]
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150099 01/23/16 01:26 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I had never seen a feeder or blind until I moved to Texas. Was illegal to hunt over feed, so no corn or protein. We just had to clear the snow off the ground in front of the tree and sit down. Or climb the tree and sit on the 2ftx2ft platform with no protection around me.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150102 01/23/16 01:28 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
And let's not forget our great grandparents and farther back hunted in a flannel shirt and jeans, with a old inaccurate gun with no scope...they probably saw and killed more deer than any of us

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6150119 01/23/16 01:46 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

That statement has to be about the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. Spending time and effort does not go hand in hand with how much money you spend. Not everyone is like you and born with a pocket full of money. When I was growing up I sat in a tree with no feeder in front of me and had an open sighted rifle. So I guess I was not serious about hunting? I guess the old guy out on the lake with a small aluminum boat with the 7.5 horsepower moter is not serious about fishing because he does not own a 18 ft. bass boat? You are really something in the way you think.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: dogcatcher] #6150159 01/23/16 02:09 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

I guess I am that guy, but we do feed more than 2 months a year, we start in mid September and shut them off mid December. Our neighbors in both sides feed year around, they have hog problems, the hogs continually tear up their fences, rooting up their fields and generally mess their places up. We don't have that problem, because we don't feed the hogs year around. During the drought we did feed more, but not with auto feeders, we corned the roads and filled troughs.

The 3 blinds were built in the 1980's it works for my son and nephews, I prefer the bedroom window of the cabin, so I can watch TV and the wheat field. Besides I don't see any correlation between how someone's blinds look and how they hunt. Our deer are so used to tractors, I could ride around on the tractor and shoot my limit in a day. If I wanted to fill the freezer I would use the tractor.

DC a tractor blind is an expensive blind making you a high rolling dead serious hunter. You and Max are like bros.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150166 01/23/16 02:14 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Max, tell us about yourself. Your profile, after all these years is very sketchy.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150209 01/23/16 02:48 PM
F
firestick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
If your neighbors complain you can be restricted from rifle hunting. Happened on a small lease one of my co-workers was on. Told them from now on shotgun only. 2 years later people complained of noise and sheriff told them only shoot during certain hours. Lease ended up as Bow only.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6150211 01/23/16 02:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I wonder how many acres of land a shooting range is....... nidea

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread