Forum Stats
60479 Members
45 Forums
476191 Topics
6246700 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#6146946 - 01/21/16 01:47 PM How much land is the minmum?
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Copperas Cove
I thought about asking these questions when it came up on a different thread but I will ask them here. I hunted 10 acres last season and next season I will be hunting 15 acres, as long as everything goes well I will be closing on the 1st of March. I know a lot of you say this is way to small to hunt and instead you have to be on huge acreage leases. I've never been a fan of leasing, whether it be my house, car, or land, I would much rather own. So for that reason I hunt what I can afford.

What do you guys think the minimum safe amount of land to hunt is? When hunting small acreage what would you do to minimize the chances of a ricochet, trust me this is a concern of mine and I will have all my shots set up to where they go in the direction of other wide open acreage. What about building back stops? or hunting shotgun only with slugs, which is how I grew up and still have to hunt if I go back to my parents house in Wisconsin?

All these questions are more along the line of if these things are taken into consideration would it make some of you big acreage guys ok with hunting small properties?

#6146976 - 01/21/16 01:56 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
The right small acreage can be productive, know one guy that had 7 acres in Lampassas county that got his deer every year, no one hunted very close to him and his one stand looked down into a draw so he was keeping bullets on his place for any shots.

On a 32 acre place I have taken over 40 deer in the last 30 years with most of those on just 2 acres of it. Location, location, location.

Main thing is keeping it safe on what ever size place and know the adjoining land owners and be on good terms with them, incase you ever need to go there to recover an animal. Good to ne good neighbors anyway.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6147058 - 01/21/16 02:34 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

IMO, the area should be large enough so there is little or no chance that you will not be able to retrieve a deer without trespassing on your surrounding neighbor's property.

From a more ethical standpoint, it would seem the property would be large enough to support and sustain the deer you will be harvesting. Otherwise, you're just leeching off your neighbors.

Spring, Texas

#6147070 - 01/21/16 02:39 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Just be safe and there is no minimum.. being able to elevate yourself will help a lot or take up bow hunting. or even a crossbow. Always good to know what is surrounding you also.

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6147169 - 01/21/16 03:29 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Too many factors to be so black and white. I've hunted 10 acres that was more huntable than my 300 acre lease, due to the shape of the properties, neighbors, etc.

#6147207 - 01/21/16 03:50 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
talkturkey Offline

I'd be a bit scared if people/housing surrounded a small parcel, as far as rifle hunting. Never know when them neighbor's kids (if any) would be stupid enough to trespass and in the wrong spot of the wrong time. Just never know.

#6147227 - 01/21/16 03:59 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX
10 acres in Illinois woods, 1,000 acres in west Texas, or 10,000 acres in mountains could all be equivalent "minimum". smile

#6147351 - 01/21/16 05:03 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Copperas Cove
These are all along with my thinking. I think any amount of land can be hunted if it is set in the right location and has the right conditions. My first 10 acre I hunted into a draw and my new 15 acres is completely wooded.

#6147378 - 01/21/16 05:22 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
trapperben Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Lubbock and Texas
Shared a 70 acre lease in the hill country with a friend. We had two feeders and there were no high fence land in the area. I thought it was about the same as having a section as far as drawing deer and turkey. We took all the deer we wanted. Owner sold it or I would still like to have it.

#6147554 - 01/21/16 06:42 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
HS2 Offline
Woodsman

If you have enough woods next door, and the neighbor property has no one living close by or hunting close by, you could be OK. If there's someone there, you'll be bothering them, and you'll have neighbor problems for the rest of your life. Make friends first, hunt later.

If you do hunt on this small, stay in an elevated blind, not on the ground. Your shots will go downward. The backstop idea is good. You could also try bowhunting. Make safety rules for yourself and never break them, even if a huge animal walks by.

#6147557 - 01/21/16 06:43 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Texas Dan]
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, the area should be large enough so there is little or no chance that you will not be able to retrieve a deer without trespassing on your surrounding neighbor's property.

From a more ethical standpoint, it would seem the property would be large enough to support and sustain the deer you will be harvesting. Otherwise, you're just leeching off your neighbors.

in low fence situations, what constitutes who owns a deer? Here in LA, the deer (except those purchased and put on high fence land) belong to the state of LA. Not sure in TX. I have had the pleasure of hunting in TX one time and even though we were on a place of several hundred acres, I could see fences separating the various places. I saw deer on several occasions crossing these fences. So who did the deer belong to? I could see scenarios in TX where the deer could cross into several different landowners' places in one day, especially during the rut. And whoever takes the deer and tags it, no matter how much land they were hunting on would be the owner of the deer in my opinion. And if taken by legal means, they wouldn't be leeching off of their neighbors IMO. Neither do I see it as unethical when the animal was taken by legal means. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#6148074 - 01/21/16 10:52 PM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
They belong to the state here as well.

Location, location depends on size. Where I hunt you need about 160 acres a hunter. The deer density just isn't that high. Maybe 1 deer per 20 to 25 acres for us. Mature bucks probably 1 per 400 to 500 acres.

#6148366 - 01/22/16 07:57 AM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
This all comes down to what type of wildlife steward you decide to be. Many small landowners contribute to the overall good of their wildlife population.

However, many choose to take all they can without consideration of the long term effect. I remember earlier this season your post about all the deer your in laws have killed this year on that 10 acres. Yes, it is true that the state owns the deer, not the neighbors. If we all own the deer, we should be managing them as if there are no fences or boundaries. We should look at bedding and feeding areas, food sources, water and population of the big picture, being the amount of acres that we are hunting that support the local/core area of the deer herd that lives there.

Sadly, this rarely happens. It turns into this is all about me and what I want. I own this land, it's the states deer and I'll shoot as many as I legally can, even though most or all of the deer I'm shooting don't live on my land, they just briefly cross it or feed on it.

It's this attitude that has resulted in the majority of landowners deciding to high fence their land. I can assure you as long as this trend of small land ownership continues and the owners hunt like your in laws, high fences will continue to expand their range.

IMO the biggest risk to small land ownership besides the safety aspect is being high fenced out for these reasons .

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (01/22/16 08:11 AM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6148381 - 01/22/16 08:04 AM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: kmon1]
SniperRAB Offline
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Originally Posted By: kmon1
The right small acreage can be productive, know one guy that had 7 acres in Lampassas county that got his deer every year, no one hunted very close to him and his one stand looked down into a draw so he was keeping bullets on his place for any shots.

On a 32 acre place I have taken over 40 deer in the last 30 years with most of those on just 2 acres of it. Location, location, location.

Main thing is keeping it safe on what ever size place and know the adjoining land owners and be on good terms with them, incase you ever need to go there to recover an animal. Good to ne good neighbors anyway.

up

#6148462 - 01/22/16 08:37 AM Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter]
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
Totally depends on the place and the area around you.

I have 80 acres that basically surrounds a 15-acre parcel owned by another guy. The way the woods and creeks are, deer funnel right through his 15 acres. He's killed way more out there than I ever have.

It doesn't bother me because we're actually overpopulated and need to kill more. Just saying, he probably takes 3-4 off his 15 acres a year and it's a non-issue.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide