Print Thread
Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint #6143793 01/19/16 10:55 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Gunna paint my barrel action and bottom metal with ceramic paint (aerosol cerakote basically, made by duplicolor) only trick is, it has to be baked on like cerakote. I don't want to do it in my oven as it will stink up the whole house. Im trying to figure out a creative way to do it. Top rack of the gas grill on low heat? I had an electric smoker that would have been perfect, but I sold it a while back. And it won't fit in my turkey roaster. I do have a propane fishfry burner too. Anybody have any creative ideas?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6143806 01/19/16 11:00 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
What temp does it need?

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6143809 01/19/16 11:01 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
300 for 2 hours.

Really thinking my gas grill may do it. I'll just have to play with it for a bit to get the temp close.

Last edited by Tff caribou; 01/19/16 11:02 PM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6143832 01/19/16 11:11 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I do enough Cerakote that it made financial sense for me to just buy a 40" electric smoker with digital temp control.

However, as I was learning how and being as frugal as I could be, I used a different method. I built an el cheapo DIY oven using a 38" piece of ducting wrapped in insulation, with a pie pan for a lid, and a Wal-Mart hot plate as a heat source. It took some experimenting to get it all figured out, and it was not very efficient, but it got me by until I could buy a real oven. Just google up DIY cerakote oven, and you can get some ideas.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6143868 01/19/16 11:34 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Been researching for a half hour now. Lots of guys have used a gas grill with great results.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6143882 01/19/16 11:43 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
My wife gave me a nice electric smoker last year. Does a great job, too!
grill

I've been wondering off and on for a long time how I could cure a Moly-Resin finish on a barreled action and the smoker never occurred to me. Perfect!

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6144050 01/20/16 01:33 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Gunna paint my barrel action and bottom metal with ceramic paint (aerosol cerakote basically, made by duplicolor) only trick is, it has to be baked on like cerakote. I don't want to do it in my oven as it will stink up the whole house. Im trying to figure out a creative way to do it. Top rack of the gas grill on low heat? I had an electric smoker that would have been perfect, but I sold it a while back. And it won't fit in my turkey roaster. I do have a propane fishfry burner too. Anybody have any creative ideas?

Any experience w/this stuff? Is it the engine enamel (high heat) made by Duplicolor? I'd like to do a DIY coating on my G23 but don't want to use junk & can't justify the price of a professional job.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: LFD2037] #6144062 01/20/16 01:39 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: LFD2037

Any experience w/this stuff? Is it the engine enamel (high heat) made by Duplicolor? I'd like to do a DIY coating on my G23 but don't want to use junk & can't justify the price of a professional job.

Yea, same stuff. No personal experience, but I've read lots of reviews and watched several videos of it.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6144125 01/20/16 02:13 AM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I have been surprised at the capabilities of the newer toaster ovens. Small, cheap enough, big enough to bake two large pistol frames at once. For a barrel, you might have to get creative with 2 toaster ovens and some wide thermal tape.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6144135 01/20/16 02:16 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I have a ceramic baking stone. I think I can put that on the grill grates to act as a diffuser, I already had a buddy build me some mounts to suspend the barrel and bottom metal. I'll update on how it works.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6144942 01/20/16 05:41 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
This was my original homebrew cerakote oven. Pretty chintzy, but I baked a lot of stuff in it until I upgraded. It would handle a barreled action no problem. I scrounged parts and built it for about $30. The thing that makes me nervous about using a grill or whatever that has been used for cooking is all the oil/grease it may have on it. Currently I use a 40" Masterbuilt smoker that has never had anything greasy or oily in it. It works way, way, way better than the old way.

Spraying Cerakote is not hard. Finding a way to bake it is not very hard. The key to success is your prep work. Do it right and you will get good results. Try and do it half-way, and it is highly probably you will want to go eat some rat poison. I would never sand parts for Cerakote application. I am sure some folks have gotten away with it, and you might. But the possibility of failure is significant. For me it is blast only. Use 100-120 grit aluminum oxide or garnet. Be sure the media you use has not been used for blasting anything greasy (note rat poison comment above). De-grease really good. Blast. De-gas at 250+ for 30 minutes. If there is even a hint of oil, de-grease and de-gas again. Most times you can get by without the de-gas, but eventually you will have a part that needs it. Mostly those parts that really need de-gas are cast. Like on Savage bolt parts, I have had trouble, as well as a few other minor parts. Good barrel and action steel I have never had trouble.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 01/20/16 05:42 PM.
Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6146521 01/21/16 04:27 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
So, duplicolor makes a ceramic paint that doesn't have to be baked on, so I tried it yesterday. We will see how it holds up.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6146642 01/21/16 05:38 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Are you bringing it to the shootout.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6146743 01/21/16 06:17 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
So, duplicolor makes a ceramic paint that doesn't have to be baked on, so I tried it yesterday. We will see how it holds up.

That's a cool looking rig! Is that a B&C Medalist Tactical 2 stock? Keep us updated!

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: LFD2037] #6147154 01/21/16 09:21 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: GLC

YEP! But I have to put some range time in the next couple weeks. I don't even know how it shoots right now. I've literally put 2 rounds through this rifle since I bought it, and that was when it was 100% stock.

That's a cool looking rig! Is that a B&C Medalist Tactical 2 stock? Keep us updated!

Yes it is. I really like it.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6147281 01/21/16 10:26 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

YEP! But I have to put some range time in the next couple weeks. I don't even know how it shoots right now. I've literally put 2 rounds through this rifle since I bought it, and that was when it was 100% stock.

Is that a Stocky's mag well or a different one? Looks like a Magpul mag?

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: LFD2037] #6147408 01/21/16 11:41 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

Is that a Stocky's mag well or a different one? Looks like a Magpul mag?

It probably is a stockys bottom metal. I got this stock used from another guy, and he didn't know what brand it is. The stock was in bad shape and horizon firearms fixed me up.

Magpul started making AICS compatible mags when they put out their magpul hunter stock. So I picked one up. I have a 10 round AI mag. But the guy dremeled out the top of it to work with the bottom metal that was incorrectly installed. It's a 5 round magpulag with a follower you can modify to make it a 6 round. Which I did.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6147933 01/22/16 03:08 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Details on the duplicolor you used? I may need to do this.

Re: Need a creative way to bake on cerakote type paint [Re: TFF Caribou] #6148080 01/22/16 05:05 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Duplicolor engine enamel. It says ceramic on the label. Good to 500*

I got it at orileys, they had about 15 different colors.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide