Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Stanfield Outfitters #6143673 01/19/16 10:00 PM
T
Ty Webb Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Our group of 8 hunters reserved 1/15-1/17 last summer when we all sent in our deposits of $325/man. The owner, Jeff, had told us twice the week leading up to our trip that they were completely covered in mallards & geese. We were all anticipating the best.
We showed up at the meeting spot on Friday in Hobart OK and left with our guide to hunt mallards on a 1 acre tank. We hunted from 3:30 to 5:30 and halfway decoyed 2 birds during that time. We dropped the hen when the shot was called at 40 yds. The guide didn't say a word to us during the hunt.
Our gameplan to get back on track in the morning was to hunt a tank that had '2500 geese and 1000 ducks.' We caravanned to the spot through the sleet and snow that had been falling for several hours. Just before reaching our spot the guide began to slide all over the dirt road and finally buried his trailer up to the axle. There was only 1 guide for our group of 8 hunters and he did not have a gator or Polaris with him. Without a doubt, 2 guides with 2 trucks filled with blinds and decoys would've been plenty. Every hunter was willing to walk in for the hunt. We sat there until legal when we began to hear shotgun blasts ringing out from all around us from other groups dropping the hammer. We were told to wait for the owner down the road after the guide unhooked his trailer and drove off.
Jeff showed up 30 mins later and blamed the weather for ruining our morning. We mentioned that every other hunter in the area seemed to have a 'plan B' for the road conditions that particular morning. He said that based on the weather and temps, he had no way to guarantee that we could even be able to hunt Sunday morning. He decided to cancel the rest of Saturday & all of Sunday at that point. He suggested we roll our deposits over to next season and we stated that all 8 of us were meeting to eat breakfast and we would discuss that option at that point.
Via email today, several guys in our group requested that Jeff refund their deposit back to their credit card. Jeff said that wasn't going to happen. He refused to be held accountable for what happened and said that the only option was to select the dates for our hunt next season. We had a couple newbies in our group but several of us have been with dozens of outfitters both here and abroad and no one had ever seen someone so oblivious to customer service like this.

I wonder if the $2600 he pocketed for nothing was worth it?

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143709 01/19/16 10:16 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143768 01/19/16 10:42 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The Stanfield bunch are ALL crooks STAY AWAY

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143778 01/19/16 10:48 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Does the beaver have an alter ego now?

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: garrett] #6143791 01/19/16 10:55 PM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: garrett
1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap

I agree, it's hunting and [censored] happens. Why not roll your deposit over and give it a go next season?

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143805 01/19/16 11:00 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guides are like every other walk of life - some are great and some just wake up each day and try to pull a plan out of their backside. Why would anyone want to "rollover" their deposit to hunt with a loser again the next season? The odds of the same cluster occurring next season are pretty high.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143890 01/19/16 11:46 PM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I have stayed and hunted with Stanfield Outfitters on several occassions. At least 4 times, each time we went every member in our party limited out. Now, they didnt not like the fact that we were bringing our own dogs (2) and could not be grouped up with other hunters because of it. They wanted to put out twice the number of decoys, therefore needed to hunt with 2 guides and other groups of 4. we were willing to put out twice as many decoys ourselves if that meant hunting with our dogs. They werent thrilled about it, but agreed. I have recommended them to others many times. Will continue to do so. That said, I once had a crummy experience with a well known goose guide in the Eagle Lake area. We asked for at least a partial refund. He refused & offered another trip during the weekdays. I think they shouldhave refunded your money.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6143963 01/20/16 12:34 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6143976 01/20/16 12:42 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

confused2

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6143986 01/20/16 12:48 AM
T
TxDuck24 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Agreed! Sometimes you just can't catch them all or shoot them all! A lot of people don't consider guiding a job etc! We put in a lot of work, time and money into trying to put them on a waterfowl trip of a lifetime.

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144016 01/20/16 01:11 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I agree that sometimes the stars just don't line up, but IF that's really how it went down I'm with the beav

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: beaversnipe] #6144022 01/20/16 01:16 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Its even worse when the birds DO fly and being so close to the X, but the outfitter is unable to get to them due to poor organization, bad judgement and no adequate equipment to fight a 1/2 inch wet snow and "frigid" 34 degree weather, followed by a bizarre cancellation of 3 more hunts in very good conditions for the remainder of the weekend. Oh well, no biggie, there is always next adventure.

yep

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144029 01/20/16 01:21 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well one side of the story does seem to make it sound like a bad deal, BUT we haven't heard the other side. Could that half inch of moister fallen on ground already saturated by 12 inches of rain making it travel impossible? I mean if it weren't for my tractor and wagon most of our trips would have been cancelled in Weatherford

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144038 01/20/16 01:26 AM
T
Ty Webb Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T

A comped hunt?
That's your take on the facts I listed earlier?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144046 01/20/16 01:30 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Ty Webb

A comped hunt?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144068 01/20/16 01:44 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

A comped hunt?
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides

Cause perhaps the guide leases the most desirable thousands of acres next to a refuge in the middle of the migration confused2 nidea

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: beaversnipe] #6144097 01/20/16 01:56 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

A comped hunt?
bolt

Cause perhaps the guide leases the most desirable thousands of acres next to a refuge in the middle of the migration confused2 nidea

Then maybe you should hang out your shingle

Dutchys guide service

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144112 01/20/16 02:04 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This story reminds me of a pancake in a way

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144122 01/20/16 02:09 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Douchys Guide Service would be a terrible name for a business, IMO

Jesters Guide Service...that's bad also really

Royal Blue Outfitters "where we treat you like a king"...that actually has a ring to it, good set up to cater to the high rollers

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144124 01/20/16 02:10 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I bet you would be the first one in line

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144129 01/20/16 02:13 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
At royal blue? Depends on price really, I'm poor folk from down in cedar chopper country

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144131 01/20/16 02:15 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My question is why do you ( beaver ) change guides every year?? 90% of mine have been hunting with me for years!! Some were setting in the blind with BB guns and are in college now. But you change every season

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144148 01/20/16 02:25 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
My question is why do you ( beaver ) change guides every year?? 90% of mine have been hunting with me for years!! Some where setting in the blind with BB guns and are in college now. But you change every season

Cause i enjoy traveling and hunting different states and different species, not just ducks.

Just like playing golf, i like to play different courses. I never understood people belonging to one club and playing the same course for 20 years.

I have clients i have to meet in illinois and arkansas every year, and they take me out after business.
For the other states such as kansas and oklahoma i hire guides. I like to hunt 4 different states every year. We dont chose the expensive guides. Just average pricing.

I do not change guides every year. I hunt with the once i had the most fun with together with great success.
I prolly hunt ducks/geese or cranes a total of 45 days per year. 10 of them are guided. The rest are on my own leases.

Run n gun, muddy waters, prairie thunder, blake, and panhandles best are just a few good ones to name

I like to try different states and enjoy the road trips with some americana.

Also, these last 10 years, Texas has a lot of duck drama, too many fighting guides, too many hunters, not enough public waters, etc...You go up north, its different and usually better. Anywhere between southern oklahoma and northern nebraska is amazing, not just pondpopping. The real deal.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 01/20/16 02:54 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144156 01/20/16 02:31 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well I seem to remember you bragging about him, now your burning on him

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144168 01/20/16 02:42 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
im not burning him, nor did i started this thread.
Sometimes a mild burn is good for you, helps you readjust and reset your priorities.
Like i said, 8 hunters ended up pissed off and were shocked the entire trip was cancelled at 9 am while the weather was just fine and the birds were there. Some guys made 1 phonecall to another local outfitter who took them out on sunday and they shot a limit within minutes. Other guys of my group made 1 phonecall at 10 am on saturday and we got to hunt a very successfull hunt starting at 2:30 pm, (thanks muddy waters) Thousands of hungry birds.

You not making the extra effort, im going somewhere else with my cash, Its that simple. Too bad we had to improvise on our own plan B.

I also like to hunt with the owner of the guiding service who is as passionate as myself about Bird hunting.
It usually works better that way and is usually possible if you book long in advance.

Just like in the restaurant business, the service is usually better when the owner is there every day.
Too many out fitters are just in there for the money nowadays. Follow your passion and the money will follow.
Follow the money and things like this will happen frequently.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 01/20/16 02:59 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide