6248250 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#6143673 - 01/19/16 04:00 PM Stanfield Outfitters
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas
Our group of 8 hunters reserved 1/15-1/17 last summer when we all sent in our deposits of $325/man. The owner, Jeff, had told us twice the week leading up to our trip that they were completely covered in mallards & geese. We were all anticipating the best.
We showed up at the meeting spot on Friday in Hobart OK and left with our guide to hunt mallards on a 1 acre tank. We hunted from 3:30 to 5:30 and halfway decoyed 2 birds during that time. We dropped the hen when the shot was called at 40 yds. The guide didn't say a word to us during the hunt.
Our gameplan to get back on track in the morning was to hunt a tank that had '2500 geese and 1000 ducks.' We caravanned to the spot through the sleet and snow that had been falling for several hours. Just before reaching our spot the guide began to slide all over the dirt road and finally buried his trailer up to the axle. There was only 1 guide for our group of 8 hunters and he did not have a gator or Polaris with him. Without a doubt, 2 guides with 2 trucks filled with blinds and decoys would've been plenty. Every hunter was willing to walk in for the hunt. We sat there until legal when we began to hear shotgun blasts ringing out from all around us from other groups dropping the hammer. We were told to wait for the owner down the road after the guide unhooked his trailer and drove off.
Jeff showed up 30 mins later and blamed the weather for ruining our morning. We mentioned that every other hunter in the area seemed to have a 'plan B' for the road conditions that particular morning. He said that based on the weather and temps, he had no way to guarantee that we could even be able to hunt Sunday morning. He decided to cancel the rest of Saturday & all of Sunday at that point. He suggested we roll our deposits over to next season and we stated that all 8 of us were meeting to eat breakfast and we would discuss that option at that point.
Via email today, several guys in our group requested that Jeff refund their deposit back to their credit card. Jeff said that wasn't going to happen. He refused to be held accountable for what happened and said that the only option was to select the dates for our hunt next season. We had a couple newbies in our group but several of us have been with dozens of outfitters both here and abroad and no one had ever seen someone so oblivious to customer service like this.

I wonder if the $2600 he pocketed for nothing was worth it?

#6143709 - 01/19/16 04:16 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap

#6143768 - 01/19/16 04:42 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
The Stanfield bunch are ALL crooks STAY AWAY

#6143778 - 01/19/16 04:48 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Ramball36 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Does the beaver have an alter ego now?

www.facebook.com/r2metalworks/

www.threecurl.com

#6143791 - 01/19/16 04:55 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: garrett]
Drew30 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Bonham, Texas
Originally Posted By: garrett
1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap

I agree, it's hunting and [censored] happens. Why not roll your deposit over and give it a go next season?

www.bullzeyeoutfitters.com

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

#6143805 - 01/19/16 05:00 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Guides are like every other walk of life - some are great and some just wake up each day and try to pull a plan out of their backside. Why would anyone want to "rollover" their deposit to hunt with a loser again the next season? The odds of the same cluster occurring next season are pretty high.

#6143890 - 01/19/16 05:46 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
claypool Offline
Light Foot

Loc: texas
I have stayed and hunted with Stanfield Outfitters on several occassions. At least 4 times, each time we went every member in our party limited out. Now, they didnt not like the fact that we were bringing our own dogs (2) and could not be grouped up with other hunters because of it. They wanted to put out twice the number of decoys, therefore needed to hunt with 2 guides and other groups of 4. we were willing to put out twice as many decoys ourselves if that meant hunting with our dogs. They werent thrilled about it, but agreed. I have recommended them to others many times. Will continue to do so. That said, I once had a crummy experience with a well known goose guide in the Eagle Lake area. We asked for at least a partial refund. He refused & offered another trip during the weekdays. I think they shouldhave refunded your money.

#6143963 - 01/19/16 06:34 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Weatherford/Albany / Matagorda...
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

Cell 817-597-0781

#6143976 - 01/19/16 06:42 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder]
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: where the birds are
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

confused2

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls

#6143986 - 01/19/16 06:48 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder]
TxDuck24 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Seadrift,Tx

Agreed! Sometimes you just can't catch them all or shoot them all! A lot of people don't consider guiding a job etc! We put in a lot of work, time and money into trying to put them on a waterfowl trip of a lifetime.
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com

#6144016 - 01/19/16 07:11 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Ramball36 Offline

Loc: McKinney
I agree that sometimes the stars just don't line up, but IF that's really how it went down I'm with the beav

www.facebook.com/r2metalworks/

www.threecurl.com

#6144022 - 01/19/16 07:16 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: beaversnipe]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Its even worse when the birds DO fly and being so close to the X, but the outfitter is unable to get to them due to poor organization, bad judgement and no adequate equipment to fight a 1/2 inch wet snow and "frigid" 34 degree weather, followed by a bizarre cancellation of 3 more hunts in very good conditions for the remainder of the weekend. Oh well, no biggie, there is always next adventure.

yep

#6144029 - 01/19/16 07:21 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Well one side of the story does seem to make it sound like a bad deal, BUT we haven't heard the other side. Could that half inch of moister fallen on ground already saturated by 12 inches of rain making it travel impossible? I mean if it weren't for my tractor and wagon most of our trips would have been cancelled in Weatherford

Cell 817-597-0781

#6144038 - 01/19/16 07:26 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder]
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas

A comped hunt?
That's your take on the facts I listed earlier?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

#6144046 - 01/19/16 07:30 PM Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb]
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Ty Webb

A comped hunt?
That's your take on the facts I listed earlier?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides

Cell 817-597-0781

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide