Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476270 Topics
6247750 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#6142683 - 01/19/16 07:23 AM Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation?
tx_basser Online   content
Bird Dog

16 year old son went hunting with a friend on their property (Van Zandt County) for last day of youth Season (Sunday). He called and said he shot a button buck, so I told him to make sure they gutted the deer and cleaned it all out, and hung it up, etc. I said.. It is cold enough so it will be fine hanging outside until he can get back here so we can drop off at processors.

Long story short. did not hear from him most of the day, and finally around 4PM he calls and said he is in trouble with Game Wardens and they were talking about felony poaching charges. Finally started getting the details between crying and hubbling, and scared he was going to jail......

Ticket #1 (Hunting during closed season): Game Warden said he was in the area nearby and heard the gun shot and said it was past shooting time. Son said he did not know exactly what time it was but they were walking back to camp at dusk when deer jumped out and other kid missed, and he shot it.

Ticket #2 (Criminal Trespass on Agricultural land): Kid he was hunting with said they had permission to hunt the neighboring property to theirs.... (Not so according to land owner that showed up)

Ticket #3 (Improperly Tagged WT Deer): They had the deer hanging up in the tree after they gutted it with no tag

Ticket #4 (Failure to keep game in edible condition): Son said GW told team deer was not edible due to being muddy from them dropping it in the mud while loading it in truck and outside all day.

Restitution: Tickets says Restitution is required also.

GW said they were going easy on them by giving them 4 tickets, because neighboring property owner wanted felony changes brought, etc. against them. They confiscated his 30-30 and told him he can have it back once fines are paid. Have to call Judge and see what fines he is getting assessed, and what we need to do.

Any idea how Judges view these things for Juveniles or previous experience.

#6142699 - 01/19/16 07:36 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
#4 sounds like BS.

I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if at 16, the judge doesn't offer any leniency.

#6142709 - 01/19/16 07:43 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: Tff caribou]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
#4 sounds like BS.

I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if at 16, the judge doesn't offer any leniency.

I agree with this, #4 sounds non-legitimate..Unfortunately probably merit to 1-3. I would show contrition and hope for some leniency assuming he is actually contrite.

#6142743 - 01/19/16 08:02 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
talkturkey Online   crying

Originally Posted By: tx_basser

Ticket #4 (Failure to keep game in edible condition): Son said GW told team deer was not edible due to being muddy from them dropping it in the mud while loading it in truck and outside all day.

Kids can sometimes, unintentionally, get themselves into a pickle on 1-3 maybe, but #4, really, ain't the game warden ever heard of a water hose? confused2

Edited by talkturkey (01/19/16 08:04 AM)

#6142778 - 01/19/16 08:26 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Bird Dog

Yes... I agree on #4.. just don't know if I want to press the situation or not. I told wife.. we just need to pay the fines and get it over with.... as we were not there and can't argue much since we are only getting told the story from a 16 year old.

#6142817 - 01/19/16 08:41 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: Tff caribou]
Mr. T. Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Hunt in Eastland ...
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
#4 sounds like BS.

I disagree with the leniency from first hand experience. A long long time ago, (1967) I was dove hunting on land that I honestly thought I had permission to hunt on by a friend of my Dads. I was one fence off. The GW gave me a ticket for trespassing and I went to court to explain why I was one cattle guard short of the property going down a country road. I was supposed to go through 4 cattle guards but I thought he said don't go through the 4th cattle guard. Judge said that I should learn to count and fined me $135. I just checked what that would be in today's dollars and it is $953.61. I had a licence and was not over my limit or unplug gun or any of several things that the GW looked at. So, it will just depend on the mood of the judge. I'm still pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6142821 - 01/19/16 08:44 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
No one in here saw the deer but we are not agreeing on #4? lol

Id say with what the neighbor wanted done they went very easy on them. live and learn I did something similar when I was his age and got caught.. taught me a good lesson early on. My judge gave me the option of community service along with a shortened fine. I worked at the county dump for a few weeks.. smelt terrible by the end of the day lol

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6142838 - 01/19/16 08:53 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Sounds like a bad situation. I would seek some kind of recourse on #2 being that he was hunting with a buddy on his land and the buddy said they had permission to hunt the area.

Any possibility that the #4 is a gift from the warden? Like when you get a speeding ticked for 20 over and have an expired inspection sticker they only write you up for the speeding because if you get the inspection thrown out then the whole ticket is thrown out? Maybe if you can prove #4 wrong they will drop it all? Maybe I was dropped as a baby. Best of luck to your son, life lessons being learned it will make him a better person some day.

#6142858 - 01/19/16 09:03 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Id also say pushing the fact and trying to argue one violation would not help your case with leniency...

#6142913 - 01/19/16 09:38 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
cas077 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Winnsboro
Hopefully your son has learned a life lesson, seems to me he could have thrown the book at him.

About #4 I personally don't leave animals hanging outside for 24 hours, maybe over night, but on the ice quickly. I'd love to see how nasty the deer was.

Just remember your son will know what to do and not to do next season.

#6142933 - 01/19/16 09:45 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
If air temps permit absolutely nothing wrong with leaving a deer hang 24 hours plus.

#6142937 - 01/19/16 09:46 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

covered in mud?

#6142946 - 01/19/16 09:52 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: redchevy]
cas077 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Winnsboro
Originally Posted By: redchevy
If air temps permit absolutely nothing wrong with leaving a deer hang 24 hours plus.

Goodluck with that, it nearly got to 60 yesterday

#6142949 - 01/19/16 09:54 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm not a parent but can certainly understand your wanting to defend your son.

However, based upon the details you've relayed, the GW used discretion to keep from charging a couple kids with felony trespass/poaching. And I imagine the GW is the one who convinced the landowner not to pursue those charges.

I'd pay the fines and let your son work off the $ through household chores or a job. Tough lessons to learn, but it could have been much worse.

You can plead for leniency from the court, but is that the right signal to send?

#6142950 - 01/19/16 09:56 AM Re: Anybody had a youth with a hunting violation? [Re: tx_basser]
Bird Dog

Yes, that is what I told him... that the responsible thing to do was drive into town and drop off the deer at the processors, then go back out hunting or shooting, etc.. later. You take care of business first.

I told him,, I hope he learns a lesson and he will think twice and understand hunting on your own is different than tagging around with dad.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide