Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,352
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: LarryCopper] #6145277 01/20/16 09:19 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Originally Posted By: mohunter
This should be pretty simple stuff but since we are talking about it...

I have a 20 feet rope tied to front of my boat, when alone, I unhook everything, tie the rope to the winch handle and launch the boat, pull up a little and the rope will pull the boat to the ramp, pretty simple stuff.

This keeps you from having to get out once you back the boat in, unhook the wench strap, then try to push the boat off and around the trailer.

It works great, Do it all the time.

Guy, this is basically what I was trying to do. Instead tying the rope I have a loop towards the end of it, which comes in handy for tying off to stumps, so I clipped my wench hook onto it. The clip on the hook got hosed up (bent back outside the hook) so the rope fell off and adios boat.

So you stood there at the ramp waiting for the boat to float to the bank. Just like you planned it all along. grin

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: mohunter] #6145325 01/20/16 09:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I have a 20 feet rope tied to front of my boat, when alone, I unhook everything, tie the rope to the winch handle and launch the boat, pull up a little and the rope will pull the boat to the ramp, pretty simple stuff.

This keeps you from having to get out once you back the boat in, unhook the wench strap, then try to push the boat off and around the trailer.

20' .... How longs your boat?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: LarryCopper] #6145326 01/20/16 09:51 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Gdogg
If your trailer and bunk boards freeze overnight. Do not unhook the bow strap when backing down the ramp. Trust me, I know. grin bang

Oooooops!

I was out by myself a couple of years ago when I had a dumass moment. I've seen old fisherman that give 10-15 feet of slack, back the trailer in, boat comes off drifting back, then they just pull up to dock the boat on the ramp. Thought that was a good idea so I decided to try it. Was going great until the hook immediately came off when the boat floated. scared

Luckily the wind blew the boat back towards the ramp and not away from it.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6145345 01/20/16 10:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
LC. Tie off a quick connect D ring off back of your trailer. That way you can just hook your loop to it. Plus tieing off on back gives you more control of the boat especially on concrete ramps when you pull it forward. More rope the better you can see it and less you will jerk it.

Just remember to change your rope and d ring ever year especially if you hunt salt.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6145352 01/20/16 10:09 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
LC. Tie off a quick connect D ring off back of your trailer. That was you can just hook your loop to it. Plus tieing off on back gives you more control boat especially on concrete ramps when you pull it forward. More rope better you can see it and less you will jerk it.

Just remember to change your rope and d ring ever year especially if you hunt salt.

LC give me shout when you want to try it out. I've got to see this. grin

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Gdogg] #6145356 01/20/16 10:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
LC. Tie off a quick connect D ring off back of your trailer. That was you can just hook your loop to it. Plus tieing off on back gives you more control boat especially on concrete ramps when you pull it forward. More rope better you can see it and less you will jerk it.

Is he hell on wheels?

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6145377 01/20/16 10:21 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

Is he hell on wheels?

After the first go round, I would have to see the second attempt. Check the wind before launching, just in case. grin

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6145409 01/20/16 10:37 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Good call Bobo, will try that. Gdogg, if ya wanna bring a 6 pack of Shiner and enjoy the show lemme know!

Maybe bring a kayak, too, if ya got one... I'm too old and/or lazy to swim after a boat. grin

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: LarryCopper] #6145418 01/20/16 10:42 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Case of shiner. I'll be there.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Gdogg] #6145420 01/20/16 10:43 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Case of shiner. I'll be there.

IN

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: LarryCopper] #6145440 01/20/16 10:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Good call Bobo, will try that. Gdogg, if ya wanna bring a 6 pack of Shiner and enjoy the show lemme know!

Maybe bring a kayak, too, if ya got one... I'm too old and/or lazy to swim after a boat. grin

Tieing off on the winch will stress the gear catch when you hit the end of the slack pulling up. No fun if you break that.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: mohunter] #6145753 01/21/16 01:37 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Seems like that would pull it right back to the trailer, assuming zero wind. With wind, boat could go left or right of trailer, and a big wind and rip rap on the side, or concrete ramp, not good boat hitting that, I guess you jump out of the truck and catch it before it hits rocks/ramp? Might have to watch you do that. I got rope tied to front as well, just long enough to shove off and guide it around the trailer, and finding a place to tie off while I go park my truck is sometimes a challenge.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Gdogg] #6145806 01/21/16 01:57 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Right before I started backing down, I unhooked the safety chain and wench strap like I had done for years. However I guess the weight of the boat and ice was not a good combination. Only the motor skeg hit the ramp. My hunting buddy grabbed the boat so the impact was minimal and only damaged the paint. Thank goodness he was there and that I stopped. Otherwise the boat would have come completely off the trailer and onto the ramp. I deserved the barney of the day award. I'm sharing this so that others don't make the same mistake. grin

You never worried about your boat floating off?

And I guess the safety chain is incase the wench strap breaks while on the road? I guess I need one of those.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6145959 01/21/16 03:15 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I must not hunt or fish enough to think backing a boat off the trailer is a big deal.

I'm in the group that has a rope hooked/tied to the front of the boat, and have the end of the rope hooked to the front of trailer/back of truck but not too long where it will float out of control. Once it floats off, pull up just a bit and unhook rope from trailer and walk it to a place to secure it while I park.

If I have a guest, I'll have them hold the rope instead of hooking it to the trailer so they feel like they are contributing.

This thread reminds me of the commercial where the dude launches his boat and it floats away, just so he can use the fancy remote control trolling motor like a remote control toy boat.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6145960 01/21/16 03:16 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Guy

Seems like that would pull it right back to the trailer, assuming zero wind. With wind, boat could go left or right of trailer, and a big wind and rip rap on the side, or concrete ramp, not good boat hitting that, I guess you jump out of the truck and catch it before it hits rocks/ramp? Might have to watch you do that. I got rope tied to front as well, just long enough to shove off and guide it around the trailer, and finding a place to tie off while I go park my truck is sometimes a challenge.

The rope only being 20 feet long is kind of the point so it does not go very far, with the nose just at the end of the trailer, you pull the trailer out of the water and the boat runs right on the ramp regardless of type of ramp. That is why you have an aluminum boat, it does not hurt to run it up on the ramp or into riprap, IMO.
IF you have a problem with scratching the boat that's another issue and not one of my concerns.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: mohunter] #6146208 01/21/16 01:31 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

The rope only being 20 feet long is kind of the point so it does not go very far, with the nose just at the end of the trailer, you pull the trailer out of the water and the boat runs right on the ramp regardless of type of ramp. That is why you have an aluminum boat, it does not hurt to run it up on the ramp or into riprap, IMO.
IF you have a problem with scratching the boat that's another issue and not one of my concerns.

I think I get now. up

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6146395 01/21/16 03:27 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

You are at a ramp, you are beaching on the ramp, wether it be dirt or concrete. If mohunter has 16-18' boat ties off at the crank he litteraly only has 2-4' of rope between trailer and boat. That's bad. You have a hard time judging how far you beach it, not to Mention less stretch in a rope when you pull forward. Also boat might not make it all the way of the trailer, especially if it hits end of the short rope and comes back forward. You can stripe the winch catch pretty quick also. Then you have no way other then safety chain to tie your boat off. Most safety chains have 5-8" of play.

I dump a 22' champion and 24' haynie cat at dirt ramps and alumin duck boat(dirt or concrete) this way every time I'm by myself. Even with fiberglass on concrete I'll launch it this way a lot depending on ramp width, then unhook, jump in and back out of the way.

It's basic in thought process but it's the little details that will ruin your boat and or trailer.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6146411 01/21/16 03:37 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Doesn't everybody tie to the back of the trailer? When you are by yourself you back it down until hit floats off the trailer and hit the brakes. When the boat drifts back enough to take the slack, you pull forward until the boat lands on the ramp. Back up, take rope off and go park.

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6146416 01/21/16 03:40 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
so it turns out that boat ramps are not only an entertaining place to watch folks they are also kinda fun to read about up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: wal1809] #6146418 01/21/16 03:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Doesn't everybody tie to the back of the trailer? When you are by yourself you back it down until hit floats off the trailer and hit the brakes. When the boat drifts back enough to take the slack, you pull forward until the boat lands on the ramp. Back up, take rope off and go park.

cheers

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: garrett] #6146423 01/21/16 03:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: garrett
so it turns out that boat ramps are not only an entertaining place to watch folks they are also kinda fun to read about up

Bird island is my favorite, the morning cluster fight for parking spots is highlight film material

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Guy] #6146432 01/21/16 03:47 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
lake travis and lake austin with all the $30k millionaires around here that cant back a trailer to save their life is pretty entertaining...$60k truck, $80k malibu and both loaded down with dumb

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: garrett] #6146930 01/21/16 07:42 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: garrett] #6147015 01/21/16 08:17 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

It all depends which end of the entertainment you are on........................

How many times have you seen the wife or girlfriend put in charge of backing down the trailer? rofl

Re: Boat froze to the trailer this morning... [Re: Gdogg] #6147102 01/21/16 08:55 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

It all depends which end of the entertainment you are on........................
How many times have you seen the wife or girlfriend put in charge of backing down the trailer? rofl

Hells no! My wife has a lot of good qualities, but she can barely back up a car with a reverse camera... without a trailer. Currently don't have a girlfriend, which the wife appreciates.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide