Forums46
Topics537,769
Posts9,728,941
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6146981 01/21/16 08:00 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Unless deer decide to start speaking and tell us themselves.....Lol.

Until then, we can only base our beliefs from our own experiences. up

Well we may not have to wait quite that long... Looks like Penn State is doing a deer study with radio collars...

http://news.psu.edu/story/348430/2015/03...n-phase-weather

popcorn

Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman] #6147103 01/21/16 08:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
This looks very interesting. Please update us when the data comes out.

From my experience, I believe there is a strong influence on deer movement by the moon. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 01/22/16 12:56 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman] #6148070 01/22/16 04:47 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
It is interesting. But I still don't see how a man's observations almost 90 years ago trumps the peer-reviewed collared studies conducted in modern times which found no statistically significant correlation between moon phases/location and deer movement. Even among hunters, these moon observations are not consistent. While folks swear by the moon, my personal experience in 20 years of hunting in many different states has never shown any predictable or plausible connection. And as far as I am aware, there are no peer-reviewed studies that make the correlation.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijecol/2010/459610/

Quote:
Moon phase had no influence on movement rates or the interaction between time period and moon phase.

Quote:
Previous studies have used variable-pulse activity sensors to monitor white-tailed deer [14, 49] and mule deer [24] activity patterns relative to moon phase. None of the aforementioned studies found an affect of moon phase on deer activity patterns. These findings are similar to ours in that moon phase had no influence on deer movement patterns.

[Linked Image]
Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman] #6148110 01/22/16 05:47 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have found the only sure fire way of seeing deer is to be in the blind. Luckily 2 out of my 3 good bucks on the wall were taken at 10:45 am due to waiting for a buddy to pick me up. Otherwise I would be at camp at 10 if I drove myself.

Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman] #6148300 01/22/16 01:17 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My very personal observation after 50 years of hunting and 30 years of land ownership is that hunting activity is a/the major consideration/predictor. But, I have found that moon phases, ceteris paribus(all other things consider equal), CAN be a predictor. However, it has not been a consistent observation. I have found that wildlife and cattle feed more heavily before a storm. That makes sense. But I have also found that cattle will sometimes lay down longer during the day prior to a heavy storm. An old rancher told me that they knew that they were going to be standing up for a long time facing away from the winds. Maybe so but forecasting what a cow will do can be an exercise in futility. I have found that does will hit corn more consistently prior to a storm.

Other personal observations that have nothing to do with solunar periods.:

A fertilized wheat patch will draw more deer. I have varied this for experimentation. I have, on several occasions, fertilized half of a food plot and the results have been predictable. Time of day or moon phase doesn't seem to matter and for a couple of years I kept records re fertilizer. No cereal grain that I have planted trumped another. And, they prefer wild rye and other natural browse more than food plots. I know nothing about natural browse nutrition. A heavy acorn crop means I see dang few deer.

All older/large bucks are mostly nocturnal anyway. Only a hot doe seems to change that. At 6.5 yoa, I rarely see them even on cams or food plots.

I have 6 corn feeders and cameras on 133 acres. On 3, I dump rice bran on the ground. I alternate it at the feeders for experimentation. Prior to the rut, according to cams, large nocturnal bucks hit it hard but mostly ignore/avoid the feeders during the rut and hunting season. Does consistently hit the rice bran feeders more often than the others both day and night. Coons go nuts for rice bran.

Riding a 4 wheeler to a hunting location is a good way to see fewer deer. This goes back to my opening sentence.

An open window on a box blind will just about guarantee that you will see fewer deer.

Hunt the wind. Scent control products are useless.

Again, just my observations.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 01/22/16 01:21 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Dave Davidson] #6148312 01/22/16 01:27 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
My very personal observation after 50 years of hunting and 30 years of land ownership is that hunting activity is a/the major consideration/predictor. But, I have found that moon phases, ceteris paribus(all other things consider equal), CAN be a predictor. However, it has not been a consistent observation. I have found that wildlife and cattle feed more heavily before a storm. That makes sense. But I have also found that cattle will sometimes lay down longer during the day prior to a heavy storm. An old rancher told me that they knew that they were going to be standing up for a long time facing away from the winds. Maybe so but forecasting what a cow will do can be an exercise in futility. I have found that does will hit corn more consistently prior to a storm.

Other personal observations that have nothing to do with solunar periods.:

A fertilized wheat patch will draw more deer. I have varied this for experimentation. I have, on several occasions, fertilized half of a food plot and the results have been predictable. Time of day or moon phase doesn't seem to matter and for a couple of years I kept records re fertilizer. No cereal grain that I have planted trumped another. And, they prefer wild rye and other natural browse more than food plots. I know nothing about natural browse nutrition. A heavy acorn crop means I see dang few deer.

All older/large bucks are mostly nocturnal anyway. Only a hot doe seems to change that. At 6.5 yoa, I rarely see them even on cams or food plots.

I have 6 corn feeders and cameras on 133 acres. On 3, I dump rice bran on the ground. I alternate it at the feeders for experimentation. Prior to the rut, according to cams, large nocturnal bucks hit it hard but mostly ignore/avoid the feeders during the rut and hunting season. Does consistently hit the rice bran feeders more often than the others both day and night. Coons go nuts for rice bran.

Riding a 4 wheeler to a hunting location is a good way to see fewer deer. This goes back to my opening sentence.

An open window on a box blind will just about guarantee that you will see fewer deer.

Hunt the wind. Scent control products are useless.

Again, just my observations.

Sans the open box blind window, I agree with a lot of your observations. For me personally, the number of deer I've ever seen were more predicated on my movements/my sounds within a blind than windows being open or not.

Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman] #6150154 01/23/16 02:08 PM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
My most productive hunts for big bucks have always been during full moon cycles when the moon stays in the sky into the morning hours like still up past daylight. Also may not see as many but during those full moons, biiger deer (in my experiences) have been seen more in the 10-2 pm time periods. when not hunting a place with timed feeders the absolutely pay attention to major and minor feed times. just my experiences

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide