Forum Stats
60459 Members
45 Forums
476009 Topics
6244274 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6140058 - 01/17/16 01:45 PM The moon and deer movement.
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mount Pleasant, TX
Growing up, I knew that the moon was a critical factor in deer behavior. After all, it makes total sense that the amount of light available would cause animals to move more or less. In fact, this was Gospel to many avid, master hunters I had the pleasure of learning from.

Then one day I read an article that claimed this was not the case. I filed it away, and didn't mention it to many people. Those I did typically scoffed and dismissed it. I kept reading, it seems many scientific studies were done, and each time the results told the same story. It's pretty much a solid fact among deer biologists these days.

Personally, I still seem to have better results during dark phases, but my info is far from scientific, and I tend to believe what I see is more confirmation bias than proof these studies got it wrong.

I still see a huge number of Texas hunters talk about the moon, and I wonder if they have read or heard about this, and if so, how has that affected their opinions or outlook? Do any of the professional ranchers on here have any opinions or data they've gathered?

#6140087 - 01/17/16 02:25 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, Tx
For what it is worth, i read the book "Moon Struck" by Jeff Murray about 15 years ago, it is all based on hunting the moon, thing is, they say the area (Llano) they studied in Texas produced different results, due to our deer have been hunted over feeders for decades.

#6140115 - 01/17/16 02:56 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
I have tried hunting the moon charts with no luck. I think the rut and feeders have a far greater influence on deer.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6140229 - 01/17/16 04:29 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Simple Searcher]
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I have tried hunting the moon charts with no luck. I think the rut and feeders have a far greater influence on deer.

According to the research, and irrespective of rutting behavior. Temperature was the biggest factor in deer movement.

#6140725 - 01/17/16 09:44 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Read some of Ben Lee's writing years ago and I still agree with what he said. Natural deer movement ie. not spooked or pushed there are 2 things that get them up an going the rut an hunger. The rut is obvious hunger is to a point. Where they are so conditioned to feeders they can be conditioned to move for a feeder going off for easy food.

I also believe the moon has something to do with deer movement. Several of my biggest bucks have been taken during the full moon between 10am and 2 pm. During quarter moon times seem to be when I see more movement early and late in the daylight hours.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6140857 - 01/18/16 05:50 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
kry226 Offline

Loc: Germany
Even though I always cringe when I see "bad" moon phases for the best parts of the rut that I choose to hunt, I've got to side with the scientists on this one. I've seen and killed deer during all moon phases (in many different states too) and my experience has never led me to believe one is better than the other. My cameras have never showed increased midday movement during full moon phases. Ever.

I think there are other factors which influence deer movement much more than the moon (as if it has any influence). For me, weather seems to be the single biggest factor regarding deer movement. I've had great luck hunting the weather boundaries.

#6140999 - 01/18/16 08:26 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: kry226]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall
Originally Posted By: kry226
Even though I always cringe when I see "bad" moon phases for the best parts of the rut that I choose to hunt, I've got to side with the scientists on this one. I've seen and killed deer move in all moon phases (in many different states too) and my experience has never led me to believe one is better than the other. My cameras have never showed increased midday movement during full moon phases. Ever.

I think there are other factors which influence deer movement much more than the moon (as if it has any influence). For me, weather seems to be the single biggest factor regarding deer movement. I've had great luck hunting the weather boundaries.

Agreed, before and after weather have been good with "right after a cold front moved in" being the best for me. I have multiple cameras on 2 different places going on 5 years now and hardly ever see mid day movement, and if I do it is very rare that it's a mature buck.

#6141062 - 01/18/16 09:08 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Ive sat many mid day hunts during full moon and never seen much of anything and darn sure never shot anything over the noon hour.

Both my biggest bucks were shot between 3 and 3:30 in the afternoon.

Edited by redchevy (01/18/16 09:09 AM)

#6142576 - 01/19/16 12:55 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
krazy kris Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Azle, TX
I've sat many of times in the blind all day and night and from my experience they won't show up until around 4-5am when the full moon goes down and the sun has yet to come up.

#6143340 - 01/19/16 12:47 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: krazy kris]
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: krazy kris
I've sat many of times in the blind all day and night and from my experience they won't show up until around 4-5am when the full moon goes down and the sun has yet to come up.

Do you think that is the effect of the moon? Or perhaps another variable that maybe you attributed to it?

#6144455 - 01/20/16 06:32 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
From what I have observed I think they are influenced by the position of the moon, not the size of it.

I have observed deer movement mid-day when the moon is peaking mid-day, regardless of size.

Temps have a strong influence as well. Those cold frosty mornings they seem to move early to warm up and feeding helps with this as well.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6144644 - 01/20/16 08:55 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
From what I have observed I think they are influenced by the position of the moon, not the size of it.

I have observed deer movement mid-day when the moon is peaking mid-day, regardless of size.

Temps have a strong influence as well. Those cold frosty mornings they seem to move early to warm up and feeding helps with this as well.

I still use the Moon Phases and rely heavily on it..
We planted our Crops due to the Moon and also castrated our Hogs and Cattle when the sign was in the Foot.

#6144720 - 01/20/16 09:33 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
RedSnake Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Nolan County
I'm obviously a believer.

by RedSnake Enterprises, LLC
www.i-Solunar.com

#6144903 - 01/20/16 11:15 AM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: Enter Standman]
PMK Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
I wish I knew a tenth of all the old beliefs based on the moon. My grandparents (all born in the late 1800s) and parents lived by the moon and the Almanac for pretty much anything associated with gardening, planting crops, hunting, livestock (weaning to cutting), etc. Of course they lived outside of the internet days and had to do things according to how they were taught. Both of my grandmothers used to amaze me with some of their sayings based totally off moon & Almanac beliefs, I wish I had paid much more attention!!!! I grew up hunting not necessarily based on the phase of the moon but if the moon was up.

~PMK~

#6145947 - 01/20/16 09:06 PM Re: The moon and deer movement. [Re: RedSnake]
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
I'm obviously a believer.

Why?

Not to single you out, but you seem the most invested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide