Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing #6137724 01/15/16 10:53 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
so I drive an hour and a half to deliver the 50 pounds of deboned venison to them to have it made into jap and cheese sausage. Get it unloaded and the guy asks where are my tags? He proceeds to tell me I'm lucky the game warden isn't there as I would be getting a ticket. Told him I processed the spike and doe at home and didn't need a tag for the deboned meat. An hour and a half later I'm back home and call TP&W and get the # for 2 Tarrant Co. game wardens, the lady doesn't answer but Officer Broussard sp? calls back. He said I wasn't breaking any law and that " they just didn't want to mess with it" without a tag.

I was the only vehicle there so maybe they just didn't want to mess with it period. I've taken deboned meat the last 4 years to 2 other places and never been asked for a tag/tags.

Now my buddy did take his to Hirsch's Meats this year, it was deboned and they asked him for a tag. He told them they didn't ask last year when be took it in. They wound up taking it anyway.

Anyone else had any problems with this? Gonna make me buy a dang stuffer and start trying to make my own sausage.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137730 01/15/16 10:56 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Never experienced it before as I've never taken a deer to a processor, but I've heard about other people having problems with it

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137733 01/15/16 10:58 PM
D
Dink Dodger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Dam site cheaper that way and not really that difficult

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137737 01/15/16 11:01 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hmmmm Habanero and Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar ........ maybe some bacon bits thrown in. Dang .....

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137771 01/15/16 11:28 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Get real fatty bacon, grind it with your venison.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137843 01/16/16 12:12 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great idea, looking at mixers and stuffers now, don't want to spend a fortune but want something that lasts more than 1 or 2 seasons too.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137844 01/16/16 12:13 AM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't disagree that you are right but is it not that big of a deal to just have the tag with you? I know we are all different but if I am taking a deer to a professor I have always had the tag and my license.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137872 01/16/16 12:30 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I threw it away with the heads, I took 7 one gallon ziplock bags with deboned meat. Never had a problem before at other places. Mostly mad that the dude there tried to tell me I was breaking the law and if the game warden was there I would have gotten a ticket. I'm sure they won't miss my business as it seems they have the reputation of being about the best place around. Was wanting to warn anyone else going there of "their" rules so maybe they won't waste 3 plus hours of driving time like I did. Glad I had it frozen.

Oh and to answer your question no it wouldn't be a big deal to have the tag and of course I would have had I known that they would refuse to take deboned venison without it. Live and learn, next time if I do go to a processer I'll take the tag/tags too.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137882 01/16/16 12:41 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Would be a little more of a drive for you but if you want to get some very good summer sausage there are 2 places in Hamilton Wenzels Lone Star Meats and Whaley in Hamilton. Wenzel is open year round and prefers the meat to be brought in boned out, tags not required. The Lonestar Brats are fantastic beer already in the brats up

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6137892 01/16/16 12:46 AM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I have been told to keep a tag for the processor for years. No big deal. All I use a processor for is making sausage and I take them boned out meat. TP&W game wardens have been known to hang out at Kuby's in Dallas and write tickets for deer meat being dropped off with no tag presented.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138020 01/16/16 01:58 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
I threw it away with the heads, I took 7 one gallon ziplock bags with deboned meat. Never had a problem before at other places. Mostly mad that the dude there tried to tell me I was breaking the law and if the game warden was there I would have gotten a ticket. I'm sure they won't miss my business as it seems they have the reputation of being about the best place around. Was wanting to warn anyone else going there of "their" rules so maybe they won't waste 3 plus hours of driving time like I did. Glad I had it frozen.

Oh and to answer your question no it wouldn't be a big deal to have the tag and of course I would have had I known that they would refuse to take deboned venison without it. Live and learn, next time if I do go to a processer I'll take the tag/tags too.

Their reputation for good product is well earned. Guessing they are much more accustomed to getting field dressed deer as opposed to "boned meat" or you just got more of a rookie there. Wouldn't sweat it too much myself.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138146 01/16/16 03:34 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The following is taken directly from the tpwd website:

"You are allowed to quarter a deer or antelope in camp, but tagging and proof-of-sex requirements continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination."

"Final Destination" for Pronghorn Antelope, Deer, and Turkey:
The permanent residence of the person who takes the antelope, deer, or turkey; the permanent residence of the person who receives the antelope, deer, or turkey or part of the antelope, deer, or turkey; or a cold storage or processing facility.

This sure seems to indicate that the processor should expect to receive proof of sex, a tag and a quartered deer as that would be the final destination if not processing yourself, but maybe the actual law is written to cover the OP's circumstance. I don't think I could fault Cinnamon Creek based on the above.

I had a situation back when they were Syracuse where I dropped my cape off at the taxidermist prior to taking my meat to be processed. The taxidermist insisted he needed the tag and gave me a wildlife resource doc. When I got to Syracuse, they indicated they needed my tag. I explained the situation, called the taxidermist and had him fax a copy over. Problem solved. Tag should have stayed with the carcass, not with the taxidermist btw.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138167 01/16/16 03:47 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Who drives 3 hours to have 7 gallons of meat ground up?

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Sneaky] #6138200 01/16/16 04:17 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Who drives 3 hours to have 7 gallons of meat ground up?

Well I believe if you read my original post I did. I have 7 one gallon ziplock bags of venison or around 50 pounds. That would wind up being around 75 pounds of sausage. Now, I for one would have no problem driving 3 hours twice (have to pick it up when it's done) to get 75 pounds of delicious jap and cheese sausage. Unfortunately they rebuked my deer and I had to drive back home with no mouth watering sausage in my future.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Big_Ag] #6138219 01/16/16 04:29 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

"You are allowed to quarter a deer or antelope in camp, but tagging and proof-of-sex requirements continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination."

The permanent residence of the person who takes the antelope, deer, or turkey; the permanent residence of the person who receives the antelope, deer, or turkey or part of the antelope, deer, or turkey; or a cold storage or processing facility.

This sure seems to indicate that the processor should expect to receive proof of sex, a tag and a quartered deer as that would be the final destination if not processing yourself, but maybe the actual law is written to cover the OP's circumstance. I don't think I could fault Cinnamon Creek based on the above.

I had a situation back when they were Syracuse where I dropped my cape off at the taxidermist prior to taking my meat to be processed. The taxidermist insisted he needed the tag and gave me a wildlife resource doc. When I got to Syracuse, they indicated they needed my tag. I explained the situation, called the taxidermist and had him fax a copy over. Problem solved. Tag should have stayed with the carcass, not with the taxidermist btw.

Ding ding, we have a winner.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138220 01/16/16 04:31 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Try Kubys or whatever that place is called in Dallas. Supposed to be good stuff.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: passthru] #6138233 01/16/16 04:42 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Ding ding, we have a winner.

Depends on how you interpret it I guess. I aged the two deer for 5 days in an ice chest so I guess you could say I was the cold storage and I gutted, skinned, quartered then brought them to my house where I finished processing them by deboning all the meat so I would consider myself as the final processer of the venison.
Tarrant county game warden told me over the phone I wasn't required to have tags while possessing the two deer that were deboned so I'll accept his interpretation I guess.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: passthru] #6138234 01/16/16 04:45 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
Try Kubys or whatever that place is called in Dallas. Supposed to be good stuff.

Called them prior to going to cinnamon creek. the older lady that answered the phone said there would be a processing fee even though the meat was deboned " so our butchers can determine if the meat was processed to our standards and make sure there isn't anything in it that shouldn't be there". when I asked how much she said it would depend on how much they had to trim if any. hammer

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138284 01/16/16 05:40 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
you need the tag, because you are not the final processor. they have to fill out the log for all game.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138295 01/16/16 06:01 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I have been told by GW and meat processors that boned out meat with no proof of sex and tag are illegal to bring in.
Think about it and it makes sense. If that were not the case somebody could kill as many doe or small under AR bucks as they want and bring them in.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138315 01/16/16 08:34 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
You need a tag no matter what. I took 4 deboned hams to Kubys and gave them MLDP permits last week. I have also taken meat with just a wildlife resource doc since I didn't have the tag or head still. They really need the tags to be legal. Just a tag and no head is really not legal since there is no proof of sex. Most take the meat but if a GW is there you might have an issue. It is on you, not the processor.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138338 01/16/16 11:55 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Lot of Internet game wardens on this thread, looks like they should seek a career change.

I am not a fan of cinnamon creek and realize I am in the minority.

I ran into a very similar problem once at hunters choice, when I picked up my sausage the game warden was waiting on me. He attempted to give me a tonque lashing and told him to either give me a ticket or leave me alone. I went home with out a citation and I told him from now on I would be keeping my tag.....

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138377 01/16/16 01:04 PM
R
Ricochet83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Sorry to high jack the thread but scenario here. What if you have a grinder and your wife is kind enough to spend weekends you are hunting for more meat defining and grinding you deer into hamburger. She nor you have the time nor the equipment to make sausage but you really want sausage and you take your pre ground meat to the processor to have sausage made. But you don't have the heads anymore guess that would be the same also because you can't prove sex however you have already processed the meat? What say y'all?

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138396 01/16/16 01:29 PM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
I had the exact same thing happen at Cinnamon Creek three years ago. Meat was deboned, super clean, etc. They rejected me because I tossed the tag with the head. HERE'S THE REAL ISSUE THOUGH. You will not be getting that meat that you took time to clean and process. They batch grind all the meat, you do not get your meat and they admit that. Ask em. You see the guy from Dallas in the parking lot with that stiff deer that's halfass gutted? Enjoy!

I hate that place and will never go back.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138489 01/16/16 03:37 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Is it legal or not, I dont know. But why not just keep the tag to avoid any confusion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide