Forums46
Topics538,022
Posts9,731,931
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6138546 01/16/16 04:40 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
The following is taken directly from the tpwd website:

"You are allowed to quarter a deer or antelope in camp, but tagging and proof-of-sex requirements continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination."

"Final Destination" for Pronghorn Antelope, Deer, and Turkey:
The permanent residence of the person who takes the antelope, deer, or turkey; the permanent residence of the person who receives the antelope, deer, or turkey or part of the antelope, deer, or turkey; or a cold storage or processing facility.

This sure seems to indicate that the processor should expect to receive proof of sex, a tag and a quartered deer as that would be the final destination if not processing yourself, but maybe the actual law is written to cover the OP's circumstance. I don't think I could fault Cinnamon Creek based on the above.

I had a situation back when they were Syracuse where I dropped my cape off at the taxidermist prior to taking my meat to be processed. The taxidermist insisted he needed the tag and gave me a wildlife resource doc. When I got to Syracuse, they indicated they needed my tag. I explained the situation, called the taxidermist and had him fax a copy over. Problem solved. Tag should have stayed with the carcass, not with the taxidermist btw.

Ding ding, we have a winner.

Depends on how you interpret it I guess. I aged the two deer for 5 days in an ice chest so I guess you could say I was the cold storage and I gutted, skinned, quartered then brought them to my house where I finished processing them by deboning all the meat so I would consider myself as the final processer of the venison.
Tarrant county game warden told me over the phone I wasn't required to have tags while possessing the two deer that were deboned so I'll accept his interpretation I guess.

If you were the final processor of the venison, then there's no need taking a large amount of vension to Cinnamon Creek for further processing.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #6138555 01/16/16 04:48 PM
HuntingTexas Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Either way you want to look at it, I will be the final processor after I eat it flush

Reading the replies it's pretty easy to see that TP&W with all of it's rules needs to be more specific in some areas.

Shoulda, coulda, lesson learned. Just as all here can't agree on rules/regs all processors obviously can't either so in the future I will take the tag/tags so I don't have to waste gas and my time again. Thanks for all of your input and opinions I do appreciate it.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Ricochet83] #6138570 01/16/16 05:15 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: Ricochet83
Sorry to high jack the thread but scenario here. What if you have a grinder and your wife is kind enough to spend weekends you are hunting for more meat defining and grinding you deer into hamburger. She nor you have the time nor the equipment to make sausage but you really want sausage and you take your pre ground meat to the processor to have sausage made. But you don't have the heads anymore guess that would be the same also because you can't prove sex however you have already processed the meat? What say y'all?

If you have time to grind meat, you have time to make sausage. Old style water pump type stuffers can be had for $30.
For some reason folks, including myself, are afraid to try and make sausage.

It's so easy that a cave man could do it. Try it once and you'll never pay to have it done again.

I haven't brought any game to a processor in 20 years. Nothin to it. The hardest part is deboning

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6139027 01/17/16 12:24 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Either way you want to look at it, I will be the final processor after I eat it flush

Reading the replies it's pretty easy to see that TP&W with all of it's rules needs to be more specific in some areas.

Shoulda, coulda, lesson learned. Just as all here can't agree on rules/regs all processors obviously can't either so in the future I will take the tag/tags so I don't have to waste gas and my time again. Thanks for all of your input and opinions I do appreciate it.

Yup, there are many rules that are vague with TPWD. And too much left up to a GW's interpretation and mood.
Is seems that regarless the situation that you have to cover your butt. Or you will be having to prove yourself innocent, the American way.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Ricochet83] #6139302 01/17/16 02:38 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Sorry to high jack the thread but scenario here. What if you have a grinder and your wife is kind enough to spend weekends you are hunting for more meat defining and grinding you deer into hamburger. She nor you have the time nor the equipment to make sausage but you really want sausage and you take your pre ground meat to the processor to have sausage made. But you don't have the heads anymore guess that would be the same also because you can't prove sex however you have already processed the meat? What say y'all?

The processors I use will not take meat already ground. What processor would do that?

Tag must accompany meat. It's pretty simple.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6139486 01/17/16 04:36 AM
R
Ricochet83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Midway in Katy. I already spoke to them about the ground and they said absolutely however I didn't think to ask about tag.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6140705 01/18/16 03:28 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yeah, Cinnamon Creek product varies and I don't do the batch thing. Not to mention how long it takes to get it back. When I'm eating the meat I like to process it. However, years like this, where medical issues limit my ability to use a hand or shoulder, I like to use Old Plantation meats near Springtown. You get your animal back and they have good products and clean processing.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Elpatoloco] #6140770 01/18/16 04:27 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

If you have time to grind meat, you have time to make sausage. Old style water pump type stuffers can be had for $30.
For some reason folks, including myself, are afraid to try and make sausage.

It's so easy that a cave man could do it. Try it once and you'll never pay to have it done again.

I haven't brought any game to a processor in 20 years. Nothin to it. The hardest part is deboning

This!
Start experiencing the great amount of satisifaciton that comes from making your own.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6140800 01/18/16 05:07 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
For many years I used a number of different processors in my area for sausage before I started making my own. Sometimes I would bring venison in bone-in, sometimes de-boned and bagged depending on how much time I had. Was never once asked about a tag, none of my hunting buddies were ever asked either. confused2 Final destination was my house, where the quarters were either wrapped whole/marked and put in freezer or de-boned/bagged/marked and put in freezer. At that point, proof of sex and tag went to the trash. Next day off or when ready would haul meat to processor, no issues. I've never taken a whole animal in to the processor though, no idea if they would have asked then.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6140925 01/18/16 01:15 PM
E
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I believe the law to be pretty clear. I also believe that processors sometimes don't follow the letter of the law. I wouldn't be upset with someone who did. Your frustration should be the one who didn't.

If you feel the law is vague or unfair, then simply obtain yourself a ticket and get a lawyer. Then you can argue your point of view and have this succintly addressed for everyone in the future.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6140976 01/18/16 02:11 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Processors are supposed to keep a log book of all deer received. In that log book go the hunters name, hunting license number and address. Most processors were pretty lax on this in years past, but the GWs have really begun enforcing the letter of the law as far as tags go. Tags are supposed to accompany the meat to its final destination. In this case, the final destination being the processor. I don't doubt that some smaller operations will accept de-boned venision without a tag, but Midway and Los Cazadores both require a tag for each deer (or four quarters, straps and tenders).

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Yardboy] #6146988 01/21/16 08:03 PM
W
WNPHNTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: Yardboy
I had the exact same thing happen at Cinnamon Creek three years ago. Meat was deboned, super clean, etc. They rejected me because I tossed the tag with the head. HERE'S THE REAL ISSUE THOUGH. You will not be getting that meat that you took time to clean and process. They batch grind all the meat, you do not get your meat and they admit that. Ask em. You see the guy from Dallas in the parking lot with that stiff deer that's halfass gutted? Enjoy!

I hate that place and will never go back.
That's the truth. You can drop off your 7 bags of carefully cleaned and deboned meat and they could, if they wanted to, go to the back and bring out your correct amount of sausage that's already made. There's nothing "individual" about specialty products at Cinnamon Creek or other large processors for that matter.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147050 01/21/16 08:30 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
there is a post every year about this processor. They have a hell of a range and proshop though.

Big Beckett!!
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147097 01/21/16 08:52 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Never had a bad experience with them. I've used processors from all over the state and they do the best job by far then any I have ever used. Everyone that I have fed their products rave about them. I had a guy that lives 3 hours away ask me just this week if I would do him a favor and take one of his deer to them because their sausage was the best he had ever had.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Big_Ag] #6147388 01/21/16 11:25 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
Never had a bad experience with them. I've used processors from all over the state and they do the best job by far then any I have ever used. Everyone that I have fed their products rave about them. I had a guy that lives 3 hours away ask me just this week if I would do him a favor and take one of his deer to them because their sausage was the best he had ever had.

Best tasting stuff I've ever had venison wise. The filets wrapped in bacon are unbelievable. They are not cheap.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147497 01/22/16 12:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
so I drive an hour and a half to deliver the 50 pounds of deboned venison to them to have it made into jap and cheese sausage. Get it unloaded and the guy asks where are my tags? He proceeds to tell me I'm lucky the game warden isn't there as I would be getting a ticket. Told him I processed the spike and doe at home and didn't need a tag for the deboned meat. An hour and a half later I'm back home and call TP&W and get the # for 2 Tarrant Co. game wardens, the lady doesn't answer but Officer Broussard sp? calls back. He said I wasn't breaking any law and that " they just didn't want to mess with it" without a tag.

I was the only vehicle there so maybe they just didn't want to mess with it period. I've taken deboned meat the last 4 years to 2 other places and never been asked for a tag/tags.

Now my buddy did take his to Hirsch's Meats this year, it was deboned and they asked him for a tag. He told them they didn't ask last year when be took it in. They wound up taking it anyway.

Anyone else had any problems with this? Gonna make me buy a dang stuffer and start trying to make my own sausage.

Man don't take this the wrong way but you just took a beyond quartered (non processed)"Texas" whitetail, with no tag or proof of sex across two county lines.

There is a reason why Syrcuse staples tags to your paper work. They process 10k plus game and non game animals a year. They have thier reasons for needing a tag. Never gotten mad at company for limiting their liability. I took 300lbs of bone out meat to them in Sept. Never been to a processor that didn't ask for tag and or log tag info(old days) .

In the end life to short to get too mad, bright side you have deer meat... Not everyone does cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147526 01/22/16 12:24 AM
HuntingTexas Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
and I thought this was a dead thread. Glad so many of you have done things the "right" way. I did too. Never been there before so I didn't know they would only do things their way. What I did was not illegal. I didn't think to ask them because the previous processers I used in Joshua, Mason and Dallas took the meat, weighed it and never mentioned a tag. Lesson learned, I WILL save and take the tag/tags from now on.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147550 01/22/16 12:40 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
and I thought this was a dead thread. Glad so many of you have done things the "right" way. I did too. Never been there before so I didn't know they would only do things their way. What I did was not illegal. I didn't think to ask them because the previous processers I used in Joshua, Mason and Dallas took the meat, weighed it and never mentioned a tag. Lesson learned, I WILL save and take the tag/tags from now on.

Lol, technically don't forget proof of sex(head or landowner letter) smile smile also when traveling... I'm messing with you also

you aren't the only one my dad did same thing. He called me all mad. Then he laughed and said oops.

No worries no harm no foul

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147587 01/22/16 01:00 AM
HuntingTexas Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
You know the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well guess I'm going to have to learn a few or I'll be a no sausage having diesel wasting fool.

" In God We Trust "

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6147598 01/22/16 01:06 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
You know the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well guess I'm going to have to learn a few or I'll be a no sausage having diesel wasting fool.

rofl cheers

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6158089 01/27/16 09:19 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We usually skin, quarter, debone & package at home. Use to grind trimmings too, but processor charges minimal for grinding small quantities and its worth my time to NOT have to do it. The package I took in last week was only 10.5 lbs. He said, in my case, my house was final destination and he didn't need the tag to grind a small amount of meat but I always take it anyway. confused2

I also take my own bacon & have him add at a 1 to 5 ratio (bacon to venison). Makes good hamburger paties! up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: Ramsey] #6158108 01/27/16 09:34 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
there is a post every year about this processor. They have a hell of a range and proshop though.

I don't use a Processor but I have ate some of there Goodies and they do a great job... up

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6158115 01/27/16 09:39 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Final destination with tag and proof of sex would be to your residence. I have taken many deer to the processor that has been deboned. Never been ask for a tag in that respect. Processor is making up his rules.

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6158151 01/27/16 09:54 PM
S
Sugars Pop Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
agree, no tag required

Re: cinnamon creek processing ....... thanks for nothing [Re: HuntingTexas] #6158219 01/27/16 10:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Speaking of processing, I better get going. I've got 3 does on ice coming and I'm heading out the door to go pop a few more. I won't have any help processing these either. Making smoked sausage, pan sausage, chorizo, bacon burger, summer sausage, & jerky. I hope I get a few right on the fence line, I think fence line deer taste much better! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide