Forums46
Topics538,016
Posts9,731,842
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6145215 01/20/16 08:34 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Glad you are here.

So a clarifying question... The razor amg glass is better than the razor. Is this due to design or manufacturing? Do you have any plans to improve the other razors?

i know you warranty is awesome but is the robustness of the razor and the razor amg differenet?

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6145316 01/20/16 09:43 PM
D
Delta Hotel Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Hi Cleric, I'd love to answer that. I will say I could write a novel about all the misconceptions in optics and this alone could be a huge discussion but I will do my best and try to keep it short.

The Razor AMG's performance comes from a combination of an amazing optical design, which we did in-house, using some unique proprietary design software with some very smart optical engineers that work at Vortex. Then we manufacture everything to extremely tight tolerances. Finally, we assemble using some of the most innovative methods in our industry to include the best lens optical alignment possible.

The Razor AMG is a unique custom design. You cannot simply put Razor AMG glass in another scope and make it better. Each scope is unique with anywhere from 12-16 or more lenses, each lens specifically chosen from hundreds of available glass types, at specific radii, thickness, airspace, tolerance which work together as a whole to make a great optical system.

Improving the Razor Gen II would require a complete redesign. You could not simply put Razor AMG glass in the Razor Gen II and expect a good result. We are always working on new designs and improvement. Optical designs can take years. Someday we will have an upgrade to the Razor Gen II but probably not anytime soon as it's an amazing optical design and just recently released to the market. The Razor Gen II and AMG do cross over a bit but also fit slightly different Niches.

The Razor AMG, while much lighter, is just as robust as the Gen II Razor. We used some amazing engineering to reduce weight by using specialized materials in the right places. This is a super long conversation alone so I will leave it at that for now.

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6146610 01/21/16 05:21 PM
J
J McCoy Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Would love to do a demo video review / article on them if I could get my hands on one... wink wink

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6146663 01/21/16 05:47 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Thanks for the great response. What I will think will be interesting going forward is what drives customers to the amg versus the gen 2. With everything said, based on paper I would go amg because to me optical quality is more important than mag level. But the market will decide.

If you want to send me both I would be happy to test them laugh

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6146808 01/21/16 06:47 PM
D
Delta Hotel Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Ha! I would love to send you both if I could. I think you hit the nail on the head pretty much. Mag range and more travel vs. optical quality and lighter weight.

For a lot of the PRS guys weight isn't that big an issue but they want absolute max travel. For guys wanting light weight tactical or even long range hunting and max optics the Razor AMG is it!

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: Delta Hotel] #6146851 01/21/16 07:05 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I know you've heard/read this before, an improvement to the Viper PST turrets would be huge. I had one, key word had. For the money they are dang good scopes. Myself and many others have had issue with the ease the turrets can be turned. I had the rifle slung, while wearing a pack, for a week Mule deer hunting. Every time I unslung the rifle I would have to verify if the turrets were still zeroed. Almost every time one, or both, turrets had been moved. Add resistance, or make them lock, and/ or make the windage a turret under a knob, is my friendly recommendation.

They are a good entry level FFP, mil/ mil scope, but that is a fairly significant issue for anyone that carries their rig.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: J McCoy] #6146869 01/21/16 07:12 PM
D
Delta Hotel Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Thanks Fireman for the feedback. I can't say a lot about products which aren't formally announced but we are always working on new stuff (hint) and once a new product goes through and meets our stringent demands we will announce it to market. I think in the next year or so we will have something that will work better for you smile

Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: Delta Hotel] #6146901 01/21/16 07:32 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good to know. I get lots of PMs here, as well as calls and e-mails asking for scope recommendations. I ask for their intended budget, and go from there. When the budget is $1k or less I often recommend the Viper PST as well as some options from some of your competitors. If they do go with a PST I always warn then about the turret issue. It will be a nice correction if it is made to the PST.

P.S. I did push my 7 Rem Mag to a mile with a Viper PST. Didn't have enough elevation travel, but only had to hold an additional .4 Mils. Pretty good bragging rights for an "entry level" scope.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 01/21/16 07:34 PM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: PRE SHOTSHOW Release : VORTEX HD AMG Riflescope [Re: Delta Hotel] #6153100 01/25/16 05:07 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Delta Hotel
I think I answered a lot of this in my post to Spawn. Again, is it easier to create a good optical system in a 34 vs. 30?...it depends on what a person defines as "good". If it HAS to have 33 mils of travel to be considered good then the answer is yes. However, I can just as easily give the same MTF, CA, spherical aberration, coma, astigmatism, etc. in a 30mm tube system (and smaller diameter erector asembly) as a 34mm tube system.. The mechanical designer will most likely just give less travel to the entire system and that will be the difference. I think most of these tactical scopes are always 34mm because they are trying to achieve BOTH 30+ mils of travel, large FOV, and good optical quality. But it's really the FOV and travel that is driving it, not the "optical quality" part...(or what I define as "optical quality" meaning MTF, CA, and the other aberrations)

Here's a cool fact. Take a FFP rifle scope. The reticle in a FFP scope sits under your turrets. How big is 1 Mil on the actual reticle? In other words, if you took the glass reticle out of your scope and put it under a microscope, how far apart would the lines physically be at a 1 mil interval? Since a mil is an angular unit we have to convert a linear unit to an angular Mil based on the optical system. And it depends on the objective focal length. So, I'll make up a plausible focal length for a long range scope of 150mm. Take 150mm divided by 1000 which gives you 0.15mm. So, on a glass reticle in a 150mm focal length scope a 1 mil increment on the reticle will (hopefully) be made to exactly 0.15mm apart. Every single scope has a slightly different focal length and it's usually not a perfect round number like 150mm. It might actually be 150.234, for example. This is actually why a lot of guys say "you made X reticle for Y scope, can't you just put that reticle in your Z scope?". Well, no, because they have very different front focal lengths. They also have different glass reticle outside diameters, and a few other different dimensions too. So the pattern may look the same and subtend the same in two different scopes but the physical reticle itself is different and requires a whole new design and tooling.

So, knowing that, the reticle sits on the end of your erector tube and the erector tube (and hence reticle) moves around by being pushed by the turret screws. If the reticle moves 0.15mm in the above scenario...guess what? You just moved your reticle 1 Mil, which means you would have just dialed 1 Mil on your turret, which means the thread pitch of the turret is really important to match all of this. AND, you can see that if you have a bigger tube you have more room to move, and therefore more travel. In fact the erector unit may, or may not be the same size as a smaller tube scope...it really has no bearing on light transmission since light is compressible...you just have more room to move and therefore more travel. Also, you can see FOV is tied to this, right? FOV is an angular measurement. So, more diameter means more room for the designer to design a bigger reticle (and therefore bigger erector assembly) and if you meld that with the proper optical design and ray traces this means a bigger FOV...oh, wait! Except if you make the reticle bigger you just reduced room for more travel!! So, you can see that FOV and travel fight one another and so you need to find an optimum balance between the two.

Now, if you have a requirement for 33 mils of travel and absolutely no less...AND you want a really good optical system, then a bigger tube is definitely going to make it easier, which I think is obvious. In a smaller tube the only other way to achieve it would be to have a shorter focal length hence shorter physical distance to achieve 1 mil of travel, hence less room required (and shorter focal lengths are usually harder to optimize for)...so, bingo! Here is a case where a larger tube would be easier to optimize for. Usually, however, a smaller tube design will just slash some of the travel to keep a more manageable focal length, which then makes it just as easy to achieve just as good of an optical system. So, if a 30mm tube gives you all the travel you need, and ample FOV, rest assured the designer gave it just as good, or maybe even better, "optical quality" as a 34mm tube...it just likely has less travel and maybe slightly less FOV than a 34mm equivalent scope. The "optical quality" part really comes down the design and a good optical designer using a great CAD optical design system with a lot of knowledge about optics to make the computer system work well for you, good grinding, polishing and coating, and great assembly techniques for precisely lining everything up to the computer theoretical model.

Oh, and get this. So, most scopes travel in 0.1 mil increments. So that means in a 150mm scope the reticle and turret screw travel 0.015mm. A human hair is about 0.080mm in diameter. So, 0.1 mil of travel in this scope means a movement about one fifth of one human hair. So, all these tracking tests (thank you Killswitch! You da man holding peoples feet to the fire! smile means we have our work cut out for us. If you turn your knob 10 mils and are off 0.1mil, that means you have a 1% error...which means you have a turret travel error of 0.015mm...that's 15 MICRONS of error over 10 mils (almost half a "thou" for you English machinists out there)!!<---sorry late night math...had to fix that one...and we are doing it!! And we love the challenge too smile

Now, I didn't really even get into first order optics at all. Just trying to keep this all in layman's terms plus I don't want to cross the line into the proprietary. Hope that was fun and informative. With that I'm off to bed. Thanks all!

Cross posting from the hide. Though this was interesting...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide