Print Thread
Scope Lapping Kit #6133189 01/13/16 02:40 AM
T
thewrap Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Does anyone have a scope lapping kit that they would recommend?

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6133299 01/13/16 03:33 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Buy good rings and good bases, and you'll never have to lap rings.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: TFF Caribou] #6133414 01/13/16 06:55 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Yep.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: TFF Caribou] #6133522 01/13/16 01:38 PM
B
bobsumner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

This right here.

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6133773 01/13/16 04:28 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm running a set of TPS rings right now. They guarantee them to be 98% in contact with a scope tube (aka they are prelapped). I don't have any way to prove it, but Skylar@swfa recommended them, and I trust him.

Last edited by Tff caribou; 01/13/16 04:28 PM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6133775 01/13/16 04:29 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
To answer your question, the Wheeler kit seems to get good reviews.

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6134558 01/14/16 02:04 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Some mounting systems may not need lapping, but there are plenty of mounting systems that benefit from lapping for a number of reasons. And it ain't because they aren't "good" rings and bases.

The Wheeler kit is adequate.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: TFF Caribou] #6135054 01/14/16 01:44 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
To answer your question, the Wheeler kit seems to get good reviews.

Second that. I got a wheeler kit with a torque wrench and lapping kit, it was on sale at nearly he same price as just the wrench. I do it on all rings for no real good particular reason other than I have the kit.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6135804 01/14/16 08:41 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The Wheeler kit is fine and you will see the high areas that are lapped down. No doubt high quality rings make a difference but none are perfect, especially when variances in the pic rail are considered.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6147593 01/22/16 01:03 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
What do you consider good rings and bases?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6150743 01/23/16 09:49 PM
B
Biggs Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I think even good rings and bases can benefit being lapped, though they probably don't need it, defiantly doesn't hurt especially if your guns are put thru as much hell as mine. I use Wheeler, never had a problem.

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: Biggs] #6151173 01/24/16 02:36 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Biggs
I think even good rings and bases can benefit being lapped, though they probably don't need it, defiantly doesn't hurt especially if your guns are put thru as much hell as mine. I use Wheeler, never had a problem.

This is a legitimate question.

I hear guys all the time say they put their guns through hell, or they are hard on their guns, or something of that nature. What kind of hell are you putting your guns through?

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6155906 01/26/16 07:49 PM
B
Biggs Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Well i have collectors but the guns I actually shoot get carried in the pickup or on a four wheeler 24/7, 90% dirt road and pasture miles, never cleaned unless they flat out won't function ect.

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: RiverRider] #6191724 02/20/16 10:53 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Some mounting systems may not need lapping, but there are plenty of mounting systems that benefit from lapping for a number of reasons. And it ain't because they aren't "good" rings and bases.

The Wheeler kit is adequate.
correct

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: TFF Caribou] #6191752 02/20/16 12:50 PM
V
victor454 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
100%

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: victor454] #6191804 02/20/16 02:07 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: victor454
100%

Here are some reasons why that is NOT correct...if you want to use a two piece base, the external surfaces of the receiver may not be perfectly machined. One ring may end up a little higher or lower than the other. A one-piece base is not a perfect solution to that issue either, it will flex when the screws are torqued down to the receiver. The alignment of the screw holes for the bases may not be perfectly aligned, and you end up with rings out of alignment laterally. A one-piece base may not even be an option in some cases, and if you have to fight to get it secured to the receiver, the base is either putting stress on the rifle's receiver or the receiver is putting stress on the base (more likely) and is strained enough to put the rings out of alignment.

Any of these dimensional issues with the rifle's receiver will cause misalignment of rings, and I don't care how much you paid for them. Lapping is the solution.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6192040 02/20/16 06:11 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Agree ^^^^^

No machining is perfect. I have lapped Seekins, Aadland, Talley, Burris and DNZ and all had areas that showed lapping was useful.

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: RiverRider] #6192787 02/21/16 08:03 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
100%

Here are some reasons why that is NOT correct...if you want to use a two piece base, the external surfaces of the receiver may not be perfectly machined. One ring may end up a little higher or lower than the other. A one-piece base is not a perfect solution to that issue either, it will flex when the screws are torqued down to the receiver. The alignment of the screw holes for the bases may not be perfectly aligned, and you end up with rings out of alignment laterally. A one-piece base may not even be an option in some cases, and if you have to fight to get it secured to the receiver, the base is either putting stress on the rifle's receiver or the receiver is putting stress on the base (more likely) and is strained enough to put the rings out of alignment.

Any of these dimensional issues with the rifle's receiver will cause misalignment of rings, and I don't care how much you paid for them. Lapping is the solution.

Well said, and true

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: kmon11] #6192790 02/21/16 08:39 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: kmon1
100%

Well said, and true

Hard to be humble but when you are right you are right !!! cheers

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: RiverRider] #6192828 02/21/16 01:00 PM
V
victor454 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
100%

cheers

Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: thewrap] #6192992 02/21/16 03:22 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It seems to me you're vantage point is one of very limited experience.

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

No machining is perfect. I have lapped Seekins, Aadland, Talley, Burris and DNZ and all had areas that showed lapping was useful.

Or maybe Fitz has a reason to fib...hmmmm. Did you type that out with your fingers crossed, Fitz? If you did you are a very talented typist. up

For my part, I do not chase thousandths of an inch in accuracy, and particularly not with my scope mounting methods. Tenths of inches? Yeah...but most of that effort takes place long after a scope is mounted.

I have mounted around sixty scopes---many of them brand new---since I started lapping rings, and not one of them acquired any ring marks in my possession. That's reason enough to lap rings. The fact that there are no marks on the tube when the scope is removed suggests that the tube was under no stress while residing in the rings also---another benefit.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Scope Lapping Kit [Re: RiverRider] #6193166 02/21/16 06:22 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
It seems to me you're vantage point is one of very limited experience.

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

Or maybe Fitz has a reason to fib...hmmmm. Did you type that out with your fingers crossed, Fitz? If you did you are a very talented typist. up

For my part, I do not chase thousandths of an inch in accuracy, and particularly not with my scope mounting methods. Tenths of inches? Yeah...but most of that effort takes place long after a scope is mounted.

I have mounted around sixty scopes---many of them brand new---since I started lapping rings, and not one of them acquired any ring marks in my possession. That's reason enough to lap rings. The fact that there are no marks on the tube when the scope is removed suggests that the tube was under no stress while residing in the rings also---another benefit.

No fibbing here grin I have engineered and built very high end precision military electro-mechanical-optical systems with tolerances very few machine shops can meet and I can assure you there are ALWAYS tolerance stack-ups. I lap once rings are mounted where they are going to stay and have ALWAYS seen high spots that were lapped down. As RR stated, I have zero ring marks and minimize any stress that is put on the scope. Does this make a meaningful difference in accuracy/repeatability? I can't say that it does but it does make sense to me and I enjoy tinkering and removing as much variability in the system as I can.

Below are a few examples of high quality rings where the manufacturer indicates lapping is not needed.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide