Forums46
Topics537,777
Posts9,729,029
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) #6130290 01/11/16 04:44 PM
T
TxAg Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Guys, I figured with the season winding down I'd share a funny story.

If you've hunted long no doubt you've experienced "the call" while settled in the stand. Here's a story from when it hit me earlier this season. But, things still worked out as you'll see below.

Saturday, November 23rd started out frosty and cold. The temp was right around 27. My hunting buddy and I were excited as we got up and discovered a ranch coated in frost. Made my way up to my favorite stand, laid down a good corn trail in the "kill box" and up on a nice nearby bench with the buggy. I was settled early, and enjoyed the cold stillness. A few coyotes provided a pre-dawn serenade, and things could not get much better.

At literal first light, I observed a deer about 40 yards to my East chomping on some corn. I slowly maneuvered the rifle and took a look. He appeared to be a 7-pt buck, but he sure looked like he was still in velvet! (Hypo Gonadism buck). I looked him over for a long time, and even went safety-off, but the light was so low that I could not be 100% sure he was indeed a Hypo-G. He soon moved off to the East, and that was that. Soon after I felt a faint disruption down in the bowels, but tried to suppress it

The sun eventually made its way up, revealing a spectacular silver landscape. Everything was covered in frosty brilliance. I did not have to wait long before a doe came out from the NE and she had a trailer. A mature 8-pt buck was following her. I looked him over for a while. He was nothing special antler wise, just a typical 8. But, he was very mature with a thick body and a roman nose. As it was my last trip where I’d be able to take bucks I decided to take him if given the opportunity. One problem: my “faint disruption” was now a full-on “gotta go.” The urging was cranking along pretty good. I was doing my best R. Lee Ermey impression, telling myself to stow that stuff and suck it up Buttercup. I was losing that fight.

Meanwhile, the doe and buck weaved their way through the brush and eventually made their way into the kill box corn. Old Mr. Buck was pretty savvy, and set up near the brush line, facing me head on. I had at first thought he was a different mature buck I'd watched Opening Weekend, but soon realized he was different based on his brows. I did not have a good shot angle so I just watched them and took a couple pics.

About this time, another young buck and doe came barreling in from the East and ran all over the valley at high speed. That was fun to watch. She was having none of it, but he was giving it all he had. I continued to argue with Mr. Poo, but things were getting serious. I could not believe this was happening. Here I was, staring at a mature buck and all I could think about was taking a crap! Not to mention, I had a whole lot of layers on due to the cold. It would not be a quick dress-down. Finally, after 20 mins or so, I must have been getting exasperated and puffed out some steam from my breath. The doe picked up on it, and decided something wasn’t right. They trotted off to the North, and I said a very relieved Kramer-esque “Thank. You!” I then bailed out of the blind, fire-manned the ladder, took off the 5 layers of clothes, and took care of the business that was the angry Mr. Poo.

Much relieved, I climbed back in the stand. I was half-convinced that I would not see a damn thing moving forward, but the wind was in my favor. About 20 mins later a beautiful young 8-pt came walking down the bench. He was lit up in the morning sun, with all the white markings on his face practically glowing white. Although he was young, he was already sporting a nice dark rack. I enjoyed taking a few pictures of him as he slowly worked my way. But, he eventually got to within ~40 yards of the jalepeno popper tamale bomb and said “Awww hell no!” He practically turned inside out as he headed West at high speed. Oh well, that was cool.

I resumed just enjoying the morning when wayyyy out to the NE I see a doe pop through a small pocket in the brush. I get the glass up on her, expecting a trailer. Soon enough, a mature buck fills that gap. I could not tell much about him, except that it was a different buck from earlier that morning and that he was good. But, just as quickly they were gone. It took probably another 20 mins before she again emerged from the brush, this time to the NW. She popped out down the creek draw about 180 yards out. It took a while, but soon he did too. I was already in the rifle. Like many truly-mature bucks I’ve watched over the years, he had a totally different demeanor with the does. There was no running and chasing. He just strolled along slowly. He knew he was a stud. He knew there was no other buck out there that could challenge him for breeding rights. And, he was smart. He moved out a little, but then stopped in a white brush patch about 160 yds out and stood there for several minutes, just looking around. Practically his whole body was concealed. I needed him to take two more steps.

After a long couple minutes, the doe was getting a ways out and he had to move. He took a couple steps and gave me a small window on the vitals triangle. I took the shot and he was hit hard. To my surprise they both ran slowly up the bench, closer to me. He was moving slow, but when he paused I hammered him again. He stepped behind some brush and did not come back out. I saw the doe run off but he never emerged. I took some time to pack up my gear, walk up the hill to the buggy, then cruised over. As soon as I walked up the bench I saw him lying there, just behind some brush, with a very funny hoof-over-face pose.

Both bullets had found their mark. I said a prayer of thanks, filled out the tag, and took a few minutes to admire him. I texted my buddy to let him know "buck down". He offered to come help me load. I told him to take his time. With the cold morning we needn’t hurry. I did at one point make a half-hearted attempt to load him myself, but his weight soon convinced me that I would indeed wait for Dave. As he walked up his excitement was contagious and we shared some smiles and hi-fives. Loaded him up, and headed for the house.

Final Measurements:
Live Weight: 173.8 lb
Dressed Weight: 131.6 lb
Inside Spread: 16 3/4”
Bases: 3 ¾”
Beams: 19 ½”

He's easily the biggest-bodied Hill Co deer I've taken. And, it's a hunt I'll definitely never forget!

Here's how the Euro turned out:

Last edited by TxAg; 01/11/16 10:00 PM.
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6130313 01/11/16 05:01 PM
H
Hunter-Boss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Great story. Awesome buck and great mount.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in coveralls and looks like work".-Thomas Edison
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6130325 01/11/16 05:07 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Heck of a story, and great buck!

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6130354 01/11/16 05:23 PM
C
Classic Rocks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I was Hunting youth weekend with one of my best friends 2 boys (he was in another stand with the other boy) and the urge hit me. Most likely due to the fajitas and whiskey the night before. I told him to sit tight while I went to camp. I took the rifle and leaned it outside of the blind so he didn't have direct unsupervised access to it and reminded him to stay put and don't touch anything.
As I'm walking back to the blind after seeing the man about a horse, I see him outside the blind. I was irritated until he said, "uncle Michael, a big deer with giant horns and spots just ran away!"
Then I was extremely irritated at missing the chance on a big axis!

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6130369 01/11/16 05:30 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nice story. Great buck.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6130736 01/11/16 08:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Great story line and buck. up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131023 01/11/16 11:27 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
A well written post and nice deer. Moral to the story is always have a paint can or empty coffee can to take care of those unintended and unwanted emergencies.

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: allterrain] #6131056 01/11/16 11:42 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Nice Hill Country buck! Well done with both the hunt and the narrative.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131199 01/12/16 12:52 AM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Great story made me laugh and that ain't easy anymore.
up

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131205 01/12/16 12:54 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Good write up of the hunt. That buck looks like his last thoughts were get this smell out of my nose

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: Hunter-Boss] #6131353 01/12/16 02:14 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Hunter-Boss

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: DirtNapTET] #6131506 01/12/16 03:17 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Heck of a story, and great buck!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: stxranchman] #6131529 01/12/16 03:27 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
cheers Great story line and buck. up

up

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131555 01/12/16 03:46 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
That's some funny stuff. Great buck too.

Reminds me of a time my cousin hunted my stand and had the URGE hit him. In that stand the door would stick and you had to look at it the right way to open the door. Well he said he pushed and pushed on the door,then said screw it. He put his shoulder into it. Well it worked. Getting the door open that is. I remember going and picking him up. Lmao. He opened the door to the truck and I said what the heck is that smell. Apperantly the last hit opened everything. He crapped down both legs. Lmao. Had to ride in the back of the truck back to camp. Nasty but funny.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131634 01/12/16 04:50 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Enjoyed the story! Thanks for taking the time to share it in word and picture. I have a buddy who has a 5 gallon bucket in his stand and has garbage bags he lines it with so when he has the urge he is all set! It's a good idea if a man's stand is large enough. Thanks again.

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6131991 01/12/16 03:28 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Had a uncle many years ago was doing the doo with his 30-30 beside him and killed a nice buck before he was finished. rifle

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6132009 01/12/16 03:35 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Been caught in that situation with no toilet paper. Just a tip for anyone that finds themselves in that situation. Wool gloves work well as disposable wiping material if necessary.

Great buck and despite Mr. Poo, it was quite an eventful hunt.

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6132051 01/12/16 03:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
cheers

Cool story and congrats bud

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6132130 01/12/16 04:46 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Hunter-Boss

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6132197 01/12/16 05:20 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
You are a very good writer! I enjoyed the story and photos of the buck. A 171 pound buck is awesome for the Hill Country.

BTW Big_Ag, toilet paper isn't really necessary. Just hit your underwear with Spray and Wash or Shout before washing it and all will be well.

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: postoak] #6132212 01/12/16 05:30 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: postoak
BTW Big_Ag, toilet paper isn't really necessary. Just hit your underwear with Spray and Wash or Shout before washing it and all will be well.

Taking a phrase from the OP, it would depend on how angry Mr. Poo is. Am I right?

Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6132670 01/12/16 10:16 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
That pic of that buck cracked me up after reading the full story; LOL.

Congrats on a great buck. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6132812 01/12/16 11:35 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great and well-written story with a happy ending. I usually pop an Imodium AD when I go hunting because I know as soon as my blood pressure regulates I'm gonna need to go and dropping a heater wearing waders ain't a walk in the park.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6133415 01/13/16 06:59 AM
E
Emmett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Great story and awesome buck. Thanks for sharing.

Psalm 121
82nd Airborne Division. 3/504 PIR, Recon
Re: When "nature's call" hits you at just the wrong time (long hunt story) [Re: TxAg] #6133491 01/13/16 01:09 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Heck of a read and great deer!!

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide